Africa News blog

African business, politics and lifestyle

What would Obama do for Africa?

June 9, 2008

obama-in-kenya.jpgWin or not in November, U.S. Senator Barack Obama has already become a hero to Africans.

He is a household name, putting a smile on everybody’s lips and spreading pride across the continent.

Now millions of Africans hope this son of a Kenyan father can turn his nomination to the Democratic presidential candidacy into a place in the White House.

But if he wins, is Barack Obama an answer to Africa’s problems

Would an Obama-led USA prioritise issues of poverty, AIDS and trade in Africa? Or would bigger global conundrums like Iraq, the Middle East and the West’s response to the rise of China take precedence as before?

Here are some views from around the continent.

So what tangible benefits would a black U.S. president bring to Africa? And what does Africa have to offer Obama? Have your say.

Comments

Barack Obama is an inspiration not just to Africa but the whole world and the developing world in particular.In a globalised world where many many have become lost and disillusioned his Message of Hope resonates and gives us a chnace to believe that indeed another world is possible.
As a Kenyan i feel proud to be associated with him even if its is in an historical context.
That said i am careful to keep my expectations limited and this is due to the fact that first and formost Obama will be looking after american interest.I therefore do not expect the social, political and economic dominance of amrican(western) interest in in African (developing)countries to be lessed.
With or without Obama the rich will continue to prosper while the poor continue to suffer.
But still i would vote for Obama if i could..

Posted by Alvin Mosioma | Report as abusive

If Senator Obama can control the rampant corruption in Africa, then we might see something meaningful occur during his Administration.

Obama will the AMERICAN President with different views from Bush..is that right???He has nothing ot do with Africa

Posted by Noe | Report as abusive

Barack Obama is an inspiration of the whole world today, I agree that his aim will his fellow citizens of america. But just the fact that he is becoming a world leader he will inspired people across the world. Many young leaders will like to be like him, ask for change, change the course the politics in to their various countries around the world. In the past we have had: President Lincoln, Lenine, Mao Tse Tsoung Gandhi, De gaulle, Dr King, Bourguiba, Mandela, and now from the United States of America Barack Hussein Obama is in his way mark the century. His hope will be spread across from the west to est and from the north to the south. Just watch the Big O.

Posted by Daniel Lobe | Report as abusive

Barack Obama is an inspiration of the whole world today; I agree that his aim will his fellow citizens of america. But just the fact that he is becoming a world leader he will inspire people across the world. Many young leaders will like to be like him, ask for change, and change the course of the politics in to their various countries around the world. In the past we have had: President Lincoln, Lenine, Mao Tse Tsoung Gandhi, De gaulle, Dr King, Bourguiba, Mandela, and now from the United States of America Barack Hussein Obama is in his way to mark the century. His hope will be spread across the world from west to est. and from north to south. Just watch the Big O on his way to the White house 08

Posted by Daniel Lobe | Report as abusive

Last time I checked Obama was running for President of he United States – not Africa.

Should he be elected (let’s hope not) I’m sure he will try to advance his socialist ways on the world and bankrupt the USA while trying to pay for it.

Posted by Max | Report as abusive

As a Kenyan I am proud for what Obama has achieved. However I highly doubt if Africa will get any extra attention from him. After all, he is American first, African second.

Posted by Karis | Report as abusive

Max must be a hard core Republican. The republican party had it chance to show Americans what they are all about. By what I have see the past seven years I don’t like it. I think our country has taken 7 steps back. One step for each year they have been in the White House. Obama smarter than Mccain and will be a better president that Bush. As the first African American President he will be under extreme pressure to do whats right. I do not he should give extra attention to Africa. I think he needs for focus on America, we have our own issues. I am not saying do not help the people in Africa at all, I am saying we need him to focus on American health care, education, the war in Iraq and numerous other issues.

As an african I feel very proud to see Obama come a long to change world history. Expectations are high but realistic .. Africa will continue to be high on the agenda of the whitehouse.. at least the horn from what I see.

Posted by Awet Araya | Report as abusive

Obama carries the hopes of a better world for billions of people. Hopes that can only be reached through peacefull means. Uniquely he will be welcomed as a brother in most areas of the world. All he can do is give it his best shot. I for one think that will be pretty good

Probably not more than any other American president, but he’s already done enough. Being the son of an African (Kenyan) man, he is already an example that there is hope for African leaders of the future as opposed to the power hungry despots we currently have all over Africa.

He is an inspiration and I hope and believe we can have leaders like him in Africa.

Posted by foots | Report as abusive

Obama is a hardcore Socialist that would make Karl Marx proud. He belongs in Russia with his Fascist policies and we really don’t care what Obama does. We do wish he would fade away as I am really sick of hearing his name being pushed by the Obama News Network on us, he does not represent the people, he is a multi-millionaire and serves the world elite. He wants to give billions of our tax dollars to the world, yet we have people starving at home.

He wants to give away all the money in the world, except his own. He is a rich wolf is sheep’s clothes hypnotizing the masses with the best speech writers that money can buy. Like every signly millionaire democrat in congress, he perpetuates race and class envy and whips it up better than a frapiccino @ Starbucks…

Don’t believe a word this liar says… Obama is the last thing our country needs.

Probably the major benefit for African governments would be the inspiration for change itself. I hope our governments gona be inspired to change their corrupt ways and adopt good governance. Apart from that Obama has said nothing of improving Africa except that his father was from Kenya. Africa should not expect any major changes from what US is alread doing today.

Posted by wenzo2000 | Report as abusive

Obama will put our country in danger. We do not want a weak liberal president. I don’t belive his promises of continued support to Israel nor will he increase aid to Africa..if anything he will reduce aid and increase taxes. McCain get’s my vote.

Posted by Jeff Fogltance | Report as abusive

I’m not sure he’d do a lot more than President Bush already did. At the end of the day, it will be US national interest first. Anyway, it remains to be seen.