Ask…

Share your views on hot topics

Do you like your boss?

October 14, 2009

I once worked for a managing editor who felt it was his duty to pay for the majority of drinks when joining the charges after work.  Needless to say, he was well liked.

But leading a group of people — and yes, journalists are people, too — takes more than a few dollars in the pub to do well. A recent survey proves the point: A majority of U.S. workers do not think their bosses are truthful and one in four would fire their boss if they could.

It gets worse: The poll, conducted for a human resources and placement company, found 53 percent of workers did not think their boss was honest, a similar number did not think their boss was fair or patient and two-thirds did not think their boss was loyal.

On the plus side, two-thirds of workers would not change anything about their relationship with their boss, although I’m not certain what that means, or implies.

The poll is timely as National Boss Day falls on Friday, Oct 16, which gives us the perfect opportunity to ask, what do you think of your boss? Leave your comments below.

Comments

My boss is great as she always tries her best even if it looks grim.

the great problem in the boss-employee relationship is fear. Bosses shouldn’t be afraid of competent staff member, but rather seek for it so that both can grow together

Posted by Ferris | Report as abusive

The best employee/boss relationships I have ever had were developed through open and honest communication. I had a boss who I could tell almost anything as long as it was in an effort to improve, and that went both ways. There have been times I was pulled into the office and made to listen to descriptions of my performance which were difficult to stomach. Even though it was not fun to hear what the other person was saying, I knew they were only trying to make me better.

Posted by Daniel | Report as abusive

Bosses behaving badly is one of the most talked about topics in offices in corporate America. It would be nice if the top brass would do something to weed out these Terrible Office Tyrants, a.k.a. TOTs, who act like misbehaving children. I agree with Ferris’s comment that the major problem is fear, especially with high unemployment. If employees and bosses were both regarded as intelligent equals, it would be nice. Stress is another major factor in unpleasant and downright awful work situations. Does anyone have ideas on how to handle toxic bosses or stories of good bosses and why they were good?

Posted by Office Worker | Report as abusive

My boss never tells me what is really going on. Sorry you can’t get a raise this year because corporate said so. I know it is because he didn’t really ask for a raise for me. But blames it on corporate. Like corporate really cares!

Posted by Jimmy | Report as abusive

Personally, my immediate boss is OK…he\\\’s young and has potential…my beef is with the managers who manage him…they too are young, but they consistently manage by intimidation then wonder why their organizations have such pathetic morale…I was actually told by one of these cretans that since they weren\\\’t happy with their job, why should anyone else be…complete morons…and they take their cue\\\’s from those higher up the food chain who in turn take their cue\\\’s from the elected leadership in this country…

Posted by IT Admin | Report as abusive

I used to think my boss was ignorant, apathetic and just plain complacent. But now I know: he doesn’t know anything, he doesn’t care, and he thinks he is GOD.

I have 2 jobs; one of my jobs gives me a handful of bosses.

Being a boss often means being secretive, if not misleading, just to do the job properly. Obvious examples are HR-related, but also aspects of budgeting, P&L, etc. need to be kept confidential. So I understand why most workers think their bosses are not truthful.

Posted by David R | Report as abusive

My boss is just fine. The people above my boss are doing more damage than good.

Posted by Virid | Report as abusive

I think that the biggest problem is that the skill set that makes it likely to be promoted into a management position, is not the same skill set that makes a good manager. For example, kissing up to your boss is helpful in getting promoted, but then when promoted, these people then expect thier underlings to kiss up to them. Part of the problem is, that once you hit middle management, politics become more important then the actual work being performed. The people above you on the ladder are important to you, because that’s where the next promotion comes from. The people below you are not seen as an asset to that end, since the focus is on the next step up, not how well the current team can perform.

Posted by Cubicle serf | Report as abusive

There are indeed some people (not many) that are born to be good bosses. Most managers however do require some management training. Companies that invest in proper management training end up with a many very good bosses. Companies that allow honest reviews by staff of their supervisors /bosses result in far superior work environment that in turn leads to a much improved bottom line as well. There are three components of management and they require different skills. How one manages the people who report to him/her, how one relates to his/hers colleagues and how one relates to the upper management oboe. One can be good in one area but it takes skills in all three to become a good overall boss. Thus it is important for top management in every company to invest in management training. This investment pays off big time.

Posted by Murray Goldwaser | Report as abusive

My boss is just chock full of awesome and I love her to bits. That being said, I should include that I AM my own boss :-)

My boss is far from perfect and he knows it. He is undoubtedly the best person I have ever worked for and I think it’s because he knows and admits when he doesn’t know what to do or when thing are going badly. He is very well liked at our company.

The worst boss I ever had never would admit when she didn’t know what to do next and would never admit wrongdoing or any other form of weakness. This made her unapproachable and generally harsh. She was not well liked.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

I have had two different types of bosses: (1) capable visionary mentors who were able to help me help them and help me grow as I helped them and their businesses grow; (2) people who had been promoted because they were safe, un-threatening, reactive (not active/visionary), personally conservative and/or scared people who were somewhat competent at their original level but not at all competent at the level and subsequent levels they were promoted to. I think the #1′s are small business owners and entrepreneurs. I think too many of the #2′s in larger businesses and corporations is what is wrong with our economy!

Posted by Trude | Report as abusive

I like my boss and feel we have a good, honest relationship. I tell her what she needs to hear, even she doesn’t want to hear it. She listens and provides feedback, even if I don’t want to hear it. We both love our organization and are doing what we think is best for it, and for our patients. We occasionally have completely different opinions. I tell her mine, she tells me her opinion. I don’t push exessively hard to get what I want…because she’s the boss. But I do document what I have recommended, and her response. We’re both doing our jobs.

Posted by Lyyka | Report as abusive

My boss is so bad, I’m thinking of a career change after 11 years. A total change. As in self-employment. In a downturn.

That tells you something. This guys is without a doubt the laziest person I know, with a slight propensity for the criminal thought here and there. No integrity. And everyone knows it but even his bosses choose not to deal with it.

In a word: Institutional inertia.

Well, you can’t pay me enough to put up with that.
Cheers!

Here is something that adds to the picture: http://ow.ly/uF0D. A survey by Lynn Taylor Consulting says “bad boss behavior” is on the rise. Also, readers discussion on Lynn Taylor’s BusinessWeek blog (http://ow.ly/uF6o) shows that a lot of people have to put up with “office tyrants” and their quality of life suffers, including even health problems. I used to have a boss problem, too, hence my interest in the topic. Lynn Taylor, whose work I follow ever since I read her book, offers good advice on managing one’s workplace environment. Her latest tweet says she is staging a street event in Santa Monica on Boss’ Day to hear peoples’ stories and create awareness. Boss’ Day is a good opportunity not only to thank good bosses, but also to make the management aware of how their behavior affects their employees.

Posted by Alex Kachan | Report as abusive

i have had a varied experiences with different bosses….however, i feel if someone hires you then the element of trust is very important that he/she should have on you. Delegation of responsibility is the most important aspect that i feel should be entrusted upon your subordinate which adds to the morale of any employee.

Posted by Farhan | Report as abusive

The 2 managers who most impressed me were competent at the work (various engineering) they were supervising. One was a star manager. He had an MBA. A manager must be the medium through which those above and those below battle, while holding out for everything they can get for themselves, but this guy had a vision, an idea that it was possible for everybody to feel that things made sense. It was more common for managers to be incompetent engineers, and to have bad judgement and lack of commitment. Management is a role most of us don’t want, and many managers are people who couldn’t make the grade as ordinary workers and were thus forced into management.

Posted by Miss Creant | Report as abusive

A good manager needs to know how to do the job of the people they supervise, and at least the basics of what the people above them do and need. If they can do that, everything goes smoother. The worst foul ups I’ve seen in the work place happened when someone didn’t know the role of the next (or previous) person in line.

It is really a good topic.I believe that all the people here would like to say some words about their bosses.It has been almost four years when i gradulated from my college.If you ask:” How many bosses i have worked for? “I really have no idea.Big company, small company, friendly,mean,stingy.The boss who fired me or who i fired him. I must say i should thank them for letting me get to know this world,and the people in the world. And now i workd in a small trade comapny name Pandawill.com I am sure there is someone who purchased something from our page. I was very luncky to have stumbled across my boss now two month age, friendly, productive,humorous,talkative … Hope our company will have a bright future. So, all the pandawill guys,fighting !

yes i also like our boss and company, we are wokring for a leading online trade company gowetrade.com, since we are working on China electronics wholesale for more than 3 year, so we have a professional team that asure customer’s satisfication

Posted by xoom | Report as abusive