DAKAR (Reuters) – Cameroon has deployed some 1,000 troops and armoured vehicles to its border region with Nigeria as it steps up its military presence to counter a rising threat from Boko Haram Islamist militants, a defence ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
Boko Haram, which has outraged international opinion with the abduction of some 200 schoolgirls in northern Nigeria seven weeks ago, has also carried out several attacks and kidnappings in northern Cameroon.
BUBA, Guinea-Bissau, May 20 (Reuters) – When middlemen for
Chinese traders approached Yusuf Diallo to cut timber from his
farm in Guinea-Bissau, he says he knew he had no choice.
Soldiers had simply threatened his neighbours when they refused.
A clearing dotted with dozens of stumps now marks where lush
tropical forest once stood outside his farmhouse. To one side,
more than 300 logs were stacked, waiting to be removed.
ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s last-minute decision to cancel his first visit to the village where Islamist rebels abducted more than 200 schoolgirls has sharpened criticism of his handling of the crisis.
Yet the government’s performance since last month’s kidnappings is unlikely to prove decisive for Nigeria’s polarized electorate if Jonathan decides to stand for re-election next February, analysts and voters said on Friday.
PARIS/ABUJA (Reuters) – West African leaders meet in Paris on Saturday to try to improve cooperation in their fight against the Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which has kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls and threatens to destabilize the wider region.
Outrage over the kidnapping has already prompted Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, criticized at home for his government’s slow response, to accept U.S., British and French intelligence help in the hunt for the girls.
BISSAU (Reuters) – Jose Mario Vaz, Guinea-Bissau’s former finance minister, will face Nuno Gomes Nabiam, a candidate seen closest to the army, in a May 18 presidential run-off due to complete the country’s return to civilian rule.
The presidential and parliamentary vote is meant to offer the nation a fresh start after decades of instability since independence from Portugal. Its last vote in 2012 was abandoned after the military seized power between rounds of voting.
BISSAU (Reuters) – Observers from the West African regional bloc ECOWAS on Monday said Guinea-Bissau’s weekend election was free and fair, and called on international donors to restart cooperation suspended in the wake of a 2012 coup.
Bissau-Guineans flocked to the polls in large numbers on Sunday to vote in long-delayed legislative and presidential polls meant to bring stability to the former Portuguese colony after years of putsches and political infighting.
BISSAU (Reuters) – Vote counting began in Guinea-Bissau after a heavy turnout in Sunday’s legislative and presidential elections meant to bring stability to the West African state after years of coups and political infighting.
No major incidents were reported by the close of polls and monitors said they expected a record turnout. The electoral commission said turnout had reached 60 percent by 1430 GMT (10.30 a.m. EDT) but did not give more detailed numbers.
BISSAU (Reuters) – Voters in Guinea-Bissau formed long queues on Sunday to elect a new president and parliament they hope will bring stability to the West African state two years after a military coup.
The last attempt at an election, in 2012, was aborted when troops under army chief Antonio Indjai stormed the presidential palace days before a presidential run-off was due to take place.
BISSAU (Reuters) – Voters in Guinea-Bissau began casting their ballots on Sunday to elect a new president and lawmakers in an election meant to draw a line under a 2012 military coup that plunged the West African nation into chaos.
The frontrunner in a field of 13 for the presidency is Jose Mario Vaz, the former finance minister and candidate of the dominant African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC).
DAKAR/LONDON, April 9 (Reuters) – A Guinea government report
recommended that BSG Resources (BSGR) be stripped of two iron
ore concessions, saying the company and a joint venture it owns
with Brazilian mining giant Vale obtained the rights
The report, released on Wednesday, recommended that Guinea
withdraw BSGR’s mining permit in the giant Simandou iron ore
deposit and cancel its Zogota mining concession.