Newsmakers: Debating Darfur
As security deteriorates, violence grows, resources dwindle and concerns mount over the effectiveness of peacekeepers and aid workers in Darfur, questions abound as to what the future holds for Western Sudan.
Reuters and Reuters AlertNet have invited a panel of experts to debate the issues raised by the crisis in Darfur on May 24 at an event in New York City. Follow the event here
Topics include the international community’s responsibilities in the region and why Darfur has sparked more international attention than other African conflicts.
- Hedi Annabi, Assistant-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, U.N.
- Abdalmahmood Abdalhaleem Mohamad, Sudanese Ambassador to the U.N.
- John Prendergast, International Crisis Group
- Mia Farrow, Actor and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Lauren Landis, Senior Representative to Sudan, U.S. Department of State
- Ann Curry, NBC News
Send any questions or comments to our panel with the comment link below and we’ll give them to the panelists. Meanwhile, follow news and market information from Africa on our Africa site, launched this year.
Ed’s note: This post was updated to reflect Hedi Annabi has replaced Jean-Marie Guehenno, U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping, on the panel.