Comments on: Britain has written a cheque it cannot cash http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/ Mon, 26 Sep 2016 03:26:00 +0000 hourly 1 http://wordpress.org/?v=4.2.5 By: rbilleaud http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19369 Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:41:59 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19369 “Why buy assets in a country throwing away access to its biggest export market” It’s not as if Britain is relocating to Mars. Obviously, trade deals will have to be reworked and there will be changes in the way she deals with her European neighbors, but Britain will continue to trade with Europe, and do so without having to submit to the political dictates of Brussels.

]]>
By: ytowner http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19364 Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:17:39 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19364 Describing Britain as “a country throwing away access to its biggest export market” is utter nonsense – a country does not have to be a member of the EU to sell to EU countries. Chile sells wine in the EU, China sells manufactured goods in the EU. Most world trade takes place under WTO agreements, to which all EU countries are signatories in their own right.

All that Britain loses by leaving the EU is the right to sell goods in the EU without going through the same customs formalities that Chile and China and the USA have to go through.

]]>
By: Xendock http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19359 Mon, 27 Jun 2016 02:41:17 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19359 “But a pro-leave leader won’t play well with the 48 percent of Brits who wanted to remain. The new government will have a small majority and could prove unstable.” By that same logic, a pro-remain leader would not get along with the 52% who voted to leave, and will be even worse.

]]>
By: SamuelReich http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19358 Mon, 27 Jun 2016 02:32:11 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19358 In all things affecting a major economy: a definite maybe or we will think what to do, will mean tanking security prices.

]]>
By: SamuelReich http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19357 Mon, 27 Jun 2016 02:26:41 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19357 A long process will mean tanking markets every time there is some exit event that can have negative uncertain effect on some sector or major firm.

Since Britain buys and sells many things including services there are many trade things to do. All the regulations imposed by the EU needs to be reviewed. EU boards have to superseded by English bodies. If same lack of representation is to be avoided elected officials must govern them and direction must clear to the public.

]]>
By: jlpeng http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19352 Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:16:30 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19352 Historically Britons were accustomed to telling other countries and peoples what to do. They are not used to working with other countries on the same level. Brexit is an attempt to return to the political arrangements prior to 1939. It’s not going to work. Sovereign and patriotism are code words for wars. Brexit or Auxit increase probability of the WWIII. The issues in the coming American election are similar to those in Brexit. Common peoples in developed countries just don’t like the conditions for a global economy that they must endure despite cheap prices they pay for those imported goods. However the 1% just love the global economy because that is how they make money. So the bottom line of the conflict is a conflict between the elite and the other 99% (or the wealthy and the poor).

]]>
By: NiellChase http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/06/24/britain-has-written-a-cheque-it-cannot-cash/comment-page-1/#comment-19339 Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:47:20 +0000 http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/?p=36898#comment-19339 I find the assertion that the government of the UK to be unstable due the 52/48 voter split to be specious. That very 52/48 split has existed before this vote and on so many other different important issues and yet the UK has continued to have a very stable government. How long has the UK been a ” country profoundly split along regional and class lines, heading into a period of prolonged uncertainty”? How many countries on the face of this planet are not divided by those lines and have no uncertainty about their future?

]]>