Changing China

Giant on the move

Dave (& Mark & Nick), the torch and Everest – Day 8

May 2, 2008

(Ed: Dave’s turn at the helm today. He, Mark Chisolm [cameraman and producer] and Nick Mulvenney [correspondent] travelled from Beijing on April 25 to Tibet to cover the Olympic torch’s ascent of Mount Everest.)


After travelling 4 days from Lhasa Airport, and spending 4 days at 5200 metres, we are all feeling the effects of high altitude but even more so, the frustrations regarding lack of information.

We are currently at a make-shift press centre located near Everest Base Camp. Facilities consist of an extremely good media centre, with amazingly fast internet, a press conference room, that doesn’t provide the media with any information (but I will get onto that later), small basic cabins that offer fairly comfortable beds but are just plain freezing, a dining room with excellent food, and last but certainly not least, the toilet block. Oh wow!! I cannot even begin to try and find the words … I will leave it at that.

The altitude is a major factor in everything we do. It affects each person differently. Some have a very low oxygen percentage in their bloodstream, some have a very high heart-rate, some get high blood pressure, many get severe headaches, others stomach problems. But all get breathless after walking just 20 metres, and all are very tired. But the effects of altitude are not consistent, and even somebody who has travelled frequently to and from high altitude react differently each time. So, the fact that the three of us have managed to feel OK after our schedule of travelling from Beijing, situated at a height of just 50 metres above sea level, to Everest Base Camp at a height of 5200 metres in just 4 days, does make us feel like we have achieved something, even before we have produced any stories (that’s not true the pix, stories and video footage are fab – ed). But this is not to say we are in the clear. Acute altitude sickness can hit anytime, even once you are back at normal levels, so we are extremely wary of this achievement.

The days consist of walking around the 500-metre cordon we seem to have been restricted to. Chinese border police keep a watch on our moves from several vantage points along the road and surrounding hills. I like to watch the changing weather patterns on the peak of Everest, but you cannot keep photographing it every hour – the weather might change but its shape doesn’t.

The nights are the toughest. The three of us share a small hut made of what looks like recycled paper shavings. Temperatures drop to around minus five degrees, down to maybe minus 15 with the wind factor, and the paper walls are just not thick enough to keep this cold out. But while I am freezing in my bed, all I can think about is how the teams on Everest must be feeling, camped on what some have called a ‘death zone’.

But getting back to what is easily the biggest frustration on this trip, the lack of information regarding the Olympic torch’s whereabouts. The most basic questions like ‘Where is it now’ and even ‘How many people are in the team taking it to the top’ are simply not being answered. The real shame is that all the good work that has been done regarding media facilities, especially the mobile phone coverage and internet, is being undermined by the lack of information.

And with the combining factors of lack of information, high altitude, freezing temperatures, no washing facilities and no date of departure confirmed, frustrations are high … almost as high as Everest’s summit itself.

Picture: Our intrepid trio catching some rays.  



Any visitor travelling to China for the Olympics needs to consider the havoc that has occurred from the recent earthquakes in China. One news broadcaster interviewed the parent of a dead child killed in the earthquakes. She stated that many of the buiilders bribed officials so they could erect buildings not up to code. The interviewed parent and the interviewer were holding a piece of contract taken from one of the building destroyed in the earthquakes. The interviewer stated that the piece of concrete easily came apart from the pressure exerted by his hands.

What are the chances that some if not many of the recently built public and private buildings were built by contractors who knew how to bribe building inspectors?

Posted by Santiago Domingo | Report as abusive

Post Your Comment

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see