Giant on the move
The Olympic Games by numbers
- 18 – number of days of competition – Aug. 6-7 and 9-24.
- 302 – medal events
- 10,708 – athletes taking part
- 21,600 – media accredited to the Games
- 2,924 – judges and referees
- 70,000 – Olympic Games volunteers
- 91,000 – seats in the “Bird’s Nest” stadium
- 31 – venues in Beijing
- 6 – venues outside Beijing (Hong Kong, Qingdao, Tianjin, Shenyang, Shanghai, Qinhuangdao)
- 7,000,000 – tickets sold
- 5,000 yuan – ticket for opening ceremony ($661.4)
- 30 yuan – ticket for softball preliminaries ($3.97)
- 137,000 km – distance covered by pre-Games torch relay
- 24.9 Celsius – average temperature in Beijing in August
- 159.7 mm – average rainfall in Beijing in August
Reuters is putting out a ton of stats and factbox material as well as scores of stories per day. If you haven’t already, please check out our Olympics Website here.
NOTE: This post was updated with new information at 0837 GMT on August 8.
Post Your Comment
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/