TUNIS/MILAN (Reuters) – A Moroccan man supplied arms for a March attack on Tunisia’s Bardo Museum and then boarded a migrant boat for Italy, where he is now held, a Tunisian government official said on Friday.
Tunisian authorities have not yet formally notified Italian prosecutors, who arrested 22-year-old Abdelmajid Touil on an international warrant earlier this week, what he was suspected of doing or when. Touil denies any involvement in the attack by Islamist militants.
TUNIS/MILAN (Reuters) – The Moroccan arrested in Italy on suspicion of involvement in the Islamist militant attack on Tunisia’s Bardo Museum provided the weapons, a Tunisian official told Reuters on Thursday.
Italian police said on Wednesday they had arrested Abdelmajid Touil, aged 22, in connection with the March 18 attack in Tunis in which 21 tourists were shot dead.
MILAN, Feb 11 (Reuters) – Italian tax police carried out a
fresh round of searches in the offices of Italy’s fifth-largest
bank UBI Banca on Wednesday as part of a probe into
alleged obstruction of regulators, two sources and a judicial
Tax police searched the offices of several managers at UBI’s
headquarters last May in the northern city of Bergamo as
magistrates investigated three top executives at the bank and
two other people believed to be connected to the case.
BUSTO ARSIZIO Italy (Reuters) – An Italian court sentenced former Finmeccanica Chairman and CEO Giuseppe Orsi to two years in jail for falsifying invoices in a corruption case linked to an Indian deal, but cleared him of more serious corruption charges.
The trial revolved around a 560 million euro ($715 million) contract awarded to Finmeccanica’s AgustaWestland business in 2010 to supply 12 helicopters to the Indian government.
MILAN, Oct 1 (Reuters) – Italian prosecutors investigating
state-backed firm Eni SpA over the purchase of a
Nigerian oil field three years ago allege that at least half of
the $1.1 billion paid was used to bribe local politicians,
intermediaries and others, according to official documents and a
person close to the investigation.
The Milan prosecutors have placed the Italian oil company,
its former chief executive Paolo Scaroni and current CEO Claudio
Descalzi under investigation for alleged international
corruption surrounding the deal for the OPL 245 offshore oil
MILAN, Italy, May 23 (Reuters) – They usually met in Milan
although on Wednesdays they lunched in Rome. But for the seven
men arrested on suspicion of corruption, the menu was always the
same, prosecutors said: alleged bribes to obtain building
contracts for Italy’s Expo 2015 world fair.
Milan prosecutors are investigating whether the group of
former politicians and entrepreneurs rigged contracts for Expo
and other public tenders, including a 67 million euro contract
to build facilities for next year’s Universal Exhibition,
according to a copy of the arrest warrant seen by Reuters.
MILAN (Reuters) – The arrest of seven managers and ex-members of parliament over alleged attempts to influence public tenders for Milan’s Expo 2015 has cast a shadow over Italy’s plans to stage an international showcase event and help kick-start the economy.
Italian commentators said the scandal surrounding the Universal Exposition, which has been in the planning and construction stages for more than six years and is expected to draw millions of visitors next year, was another example of Italy’s inability to keep corruption out of major events.
MILAN, April 16 (Reuters) – An Italian court has ruled that
Pietro Varone, former chief of oil service firm Saipem’s
engineering business, was improperly dismissed in
connection with corruption allegations in Algeria, according to
a court document seen by Reuters.
The court, which still has to give the reasons for its
decision, also threw out Saipem’s claim for damages against
Varone, ordering it instead to pay its former employee almost
1.2 million euros ($1.7 million), the ruling said.
MILAN, April 10 (Reuters) – Both the prosecution and defence
have asked a Milan court to order former Prime Minister Silvio
Berlusconi to serve a one-year sentence for tax fraud doing
community service, judicial sources said on Thursday.
The judge told reporters after the first day of hearings
that the court would decide in 5-15 days what kind of punishment
the centre-right leader will receive.
ROME, April 10 (Reuters) – Silvio Berlusconi has asked to
serve his one-year sentence for tax fraud helping disabled
people, judicial sources said ahead of a hearing to decide what
form of punishment the former Italian prime minister will
Later on Thursday a Milan tribunal will begin considering
the request and must issue its decision by next Tuesday.