Dutch relieved but cautious after “Fitna” causes little strife

April 4, 2008

Malaysian students protest against Fitna film in Kuala Lumpur, 4 April 2008/Zainal Abd HalimThe Netherlands has breathed a sigh of relief at muted reaction at home and abroad to a film critical of the Koran that seems to have done more for the standing of the prime minister than the populist who made it.

But there is still a sizeable audience in the country for the kind of anti-Islam, anti-immigration rhetoric first popularised by maverick politician Pim Fortuyn in 2002 that is likely to keep Dutch politics fragmented and unstable.

One week after Dutch far-right leader Geert Wilders posted his film “Fitna” on the Internet, read the analysis of the reaction by our chief correspondent in the Netherlands, Emma Thomasson.

Thank God that Dutch citizens at least are still capable of maintaining an atmosphere of dialogue and communication instead of allowing extreme neo-con propoganda cultivate an atmosphere of hurtful rhetoric. The PM’s gains are well earned.

I am glad the radical Islamist wisely chose not to riot. Their brand of intolerance is wearing thin in the west.

Posted by Larry M | Report as abusive

This shows that interfaith cooperation can still maintain an environment of peace and stability, despite the courting of disaster and baiting by people like Wilders who for the sake of pushing their political agenda are willing to go out of their way and offend other people’s beliefs without understanding them. Fortunately the current government has more sense and rebuked Wilders for his rather needless film, and that the film backfired right back on him. I cannot praise the Dutch highly enough for their civilized attitude and tolerance. I wish I could say the same for some other people.

It is sad to observe, but I think Fitna’s ideas are growing: the remake of the central text of Islam – “The Qur’an” is being started http://quranremixed.wordpress.com/

Posted by Jimbo | Report as abusive

Comments on “Dutch movie FITNA” released by a Dutch MP.
* If you see the movie FITNA by an open mind/eyes, you clearly see, the mind/thinking working behind this is only hate of an individual against Islam.
* The film maker picked the verses of Quran out of context and tried to develop hate to Islam among innocent people of other faiths by joining the video effects/clips.
Producer tried to play with innocent hearts by joining video clips like, Twin Tower attack clips, with verses.
I AM ASKING YOU PEOPLE, SHOULD ANY MUSLIM MAKE A MOVIE LIKE THIS “FITNA” AND JOINS THE TEACHING OF “BIBLE” WITH THE PICTURES/VIDEOS OF US ATTACK ON IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN……AND TRY TO PROVE THE SAME AS IN “FITNA”? SURE…..NO. THERE IS NO ANY MUSLIM IN THIS WORLD WHO CAN THINK TO COMMENT THE PROPHET JESUS AND HIS TEACHINGS. IF ANY DOES THIS, HE IS NOT A MUSLIM AT ALL, MAY BE HIS NAME IS LIKE OF MUSLIMS.
* In this movie, thinking of Politician doesn’t mean that it is the sayings of Islam. And individuals’ act don’t mean the sayings of Islam.
Quran Says: “ONE WHO SAVES THE LIVE OF ANY INNOCENT HUMAN IS AS HE SAVES THE WHOLE HUMANITY”
We believe in “FREEDOM OF SPEECH” but with responsibility. By this kind of so called FREEDOM, actually you are hearting the millions of people. In humanity, freedom should be constructive, not for promote the hate in society/world.
More Important: MUSLIMS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO THE HOLY QURAN and ALL PROPHETS INCLUDING MUHAMMAD, JESUS, DAVID, MOSIS and all others.
I personally feel, the act of Dutch MP is based on hate to Muslims. Not only for Muslims but he is also against his society and country. His Movie will work as a fire in the society of Netherlands as well as in between thousands of Muslims and Christians in the world.
May God/Allah help us to live with peace.

Posted by asif | Report as abusive

Can we all pray now that such arrogantly ignornant people like Wilder will go back to the stone under which they crawled out from? Mr. Wilder, it’s ok now for you to not have to speak. We won’t feel ill of you if you remain quiet. You’ve had your ’15 mins of fame (infamy)’ so don’t be greedy now, and let some other person, (hopefully with more maturity, decency and common sense), come to the fore with their turn. Let’s make a change and have some words of encouragement aiming for understanding and peace. Fingers crossed…

Posted by Conscientious Observer | Report as abusive

Asif, you’ve got to get your head out of the sand son. Fitna is a film that shows Islam exactly as it truly is…if the more peaceable members (somewhat of a joke I realize) of this religion seem to miss that fact, it’s time to find a new religion. I’m praying continually for the safety of the brave creator of this movie. I am also making copies of it at my own expense and giving them out to people…it’s time for the world to stop flirting with these radicals who truly hate us and our society.

Oh, did anyone else notice how Asif was practically screaming at us in his little comment section? Interesting…very interesting…

Posted by MW | Report as abusive

MW,
You and your type can rave as much against Islam as you want,but you cant fool the world any longer.Most of the world is fed up of the Bush and Fundo hate mongers of either side ; so go take a rest from your sick activities.

As long as we have people like you on either side mate,you people will continue to make a mess of the lives of peaceful citizens;and keep on providing enough reasons for the loonies on both sides to keep the fires burning.

The movie reflects the wicked mind and lying tongue of the popularity seeking politician; because any one who has read the Bible knows that a thousand worse hate filled verses can be found from the Bible and combined with the ranting of some of your preachers to make a movie like this one.And they wount have to be twisted out of context either . All Asif is saying no Muslim has done -or will do that – because we respect other peoples faith.What is so wrong with his saying so.What is obvious to me that is that he is trying to express himself in a foreign language ;and not what is obvious to your sorry pitable mind.
Regards and peace and blessings

Posted by saiyedharizvi | Report as abusive

Where on the internet can a non-Muslim learn about the correct interpretation of the seemingly murderous verses of the Qu’ran?

What is the proper context for understanding these verses?

If the Qu’ran is very clear in normal language, but its inner meaning is the opposite of its obvious meaning, What is the explanation for this?

I am a non Muslim actively working to account for Islam, meaning I seek an understanding. I want to know what I should think and feel about Islam.

What should I think those verses of the Qu’ran mean?

I am a polytheist. Doesn’t the Qu’ran command that I should be killed, and that it will be a good Muslim who kills me?

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, I just want to know how to interpret the Qu’ran so that it doesn’t say what it seems to say.

Any direction anyone can give me will be appreciated.

Posted by Dave Rogers | Report as abusive