Vatican orders Catholic archbishop accused of sex abuse to be defrocked

June 27, 2014
(Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, the Vatican's ambassador to the Dominican Republic, offers mass in Santo Domingo August 3, 2009. The Vatican has recalled Wesolowski, who has been in the Dominican Republic for nearly six years, and relieved him of his duties pending an investigation, after local media accused him of paedophilia, Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said on September 4, 2013. Picture taken August 3, 2009. REUTERS/Luis Gomez/Diario Libre )

(Archbishop Josef Wesolowski celebrates mass in Santo Domingo August 3, 2009. REUTERS/Luis Gomez/Diario Libre )

Roman Catholic Church authorities have ordered a Polish archbishop accused of sexual abuse in the Dominican Republic to be defrocked as a priest pending further criminal proceedings, the Vatican said on Friday.

The Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith ordered Josef Wesolowski, a former Vatican nuncio or ambassador to the Caribbean nation to be stripped of the priesthood.

He will have two months to appeal the ruling.

The Vatican said his movements had not been restricted while the case was being considered but that following the decision to expel him from the priesthood “all measures appropriate to the seriousness of the case will be adopted”.

As an independent city state, the Vatican has judicial authority over its territory and can detain or limit the movements of those subject to its jurisdiction.

via Vatican orders archbishop accused of sex abuse to be defrocked | Reuters.

No comments so far

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/