The Vatican has condemned former Canadian Bishop Raymond Lahey after he pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography and said it planned to take disciplinary action against him. Lahey, former Bishop of Antigonish in the eastern Canadian province of Nova Scotia, was charged with possession and importation of child pornography in 2009. He pleaded guilty on Wednesday and his sentence is due to be handed down later.
“The Catholic Church condemns sexual exploitation in all its forms, especially when perpetrated against minors,” the Vatican press office said in a statement on Wednesday. “Although the civil process has run its course, the Holy See will continue to follow the canonical procedures in effect for such cases, which will result in the imposition of the appropriate disciplinary or penal measures,” it added.
The case has rocked the Roman Catholic Church in Canada, particularly because Lahey oversaw the settlement of long-standing sex abuse allegations against several priests shortly before he was charged in 2009.
The Vatican has toughened up its laws on sexual abuse to tackle the scandal in the ranks of the Church, which entered a new chapter last year as increasing numbers of victims came forward in several countries.