Four men have been jailed for 12 years each for plotting a gun attack on a Danish newspaper over its cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad, whose publication in 2005 sparked deadly riots across the Muslim world.
The men, a Tunisian and three Swedish citizens of Arab origin, were caught on police surveillance tapes discussing whether to behead or shoot their intended victims, the chief prosecutor told Reuters. The plot, regarded by security experts as the most serious in modern Danish history, was foiled in late 2010 by a joint operation by Danish and Swedish police, who had been monitoring the group for weeks.
Presiding judge Katrine Eriksen said on Monday the four men had planned to carry out an attack at the offices of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, which first published the dozen cartoons seven years ago, and kill as many people as possible. She also ordered the four, who had pleaded not guilty to the main terrorism charge, be expelled from Denmark after serving their sentence and instructed them to pay the trial costs.