Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

David Archuleta’s pop calls ‘stage dad’ rumors “crazy!”

April 23, 2008

archuleta-1.jpgThe media reports about Jeff Archuleta, in some cases, have been brutal.

Celebrity web site TMZ.com has said that the father of “American Idol” contestant David Archuleta has screamed at his son and brought him to tears in rehearsals while driving him to perform ever better on the top-rated TV talent show.

“Idol” judge Simon Cowell seemed to question Archuleta’s choice of a Beatles song, “We Can Work It Out,” that the 17-year-old messed up on the show back in March, implying that it might have been Jeff who chose the song for his son.

But Jeff Archuleta finally spoke out to hush his critics on Wednesday in an interview with celebrity magazine Us, calling accusations that he was an overbearing, hyper-competitve “stage dad” simply crazy.

“I’m definitely involved with my son, and I encourage him, but I think that’s a lot different from forcing and threatening and all that stuff. There was absolutely no truth in any of the stories about me yelling at David, making him cry, or withholding water from him. That was crazy!” Jeff Archuleta told the magazine.

Jeff also called his son “a reluctant singer,” saying that archuleta-2.jpgwhen David was young, the boy could not understand why anyone wanted to hear him sing. Then Jeff added, “I think (David) was blessed with a musical ear that was far beyond his years.”

And on that last quote, Jeff is probably right. The young singer has been a clear frontrunner in the race to crown the next “American Idol” this season.

The full interview can be read at Usmagazine.com.

Comments

Finally!!! It’s about time that the press print something with a name associated like with David’s father!! All of the “sources say” crap that was said about the Archuleta family was absurd. I’m happy to see him speaking out and most of all, the press covering the truth instead of tabloid sensationalism!!! Go David and family!!!! FTW

Posted by Crystal | Report as abusive

Its about time that Jeff Archuleta spoke about all this bad crap about him.I know that all he cares is goodness for his son. I can see it in his face and body motion whenever they show a part of him everytime after David sings. His eyes is full of JOY! he is very proud of him.Poeples comment about him and David just make me sick to my stomach. I wish those poeple who made those comments will be in thier shoes to see how it feels. lastly i hope poeple will read the interview so they’ll know. anyway, it doesnt matter, because no matter what they will still find other negative things beause they are just mean poeple.

david is sooo gonna win american idol he is cute and he is the best singer ever im soooooooooo glad jason castro went off lol.

Posted by liv | Report as abusive

david archuleta is so gonna win amercan idol he is the beast singer and im soooooo glad that Jason Castro went off.

Posted by rony | Report as abusive

David’s dad is a crazy psycho that needs to be hauled off to the nuthouse. I was puling for David A but now that I know about his jerk dad I’m voting for Cook!!

Posted by Mr Cook | Report as abusive

Well I personally think the internet, news and just individual discussions should all come to a halt over such negative and incorrect information. If it were not for David A. then American Idol would be total crap….This young man has a talented…mature and astonishing voice. I have not been a fan of many American Idols but he is one I would definately go out and listen to….So why waist time and cause the young man anguish and emotional drainage when it all boils down to people needing some bull s**t to talk about. Really….America grow up and take his talent for what it is worth. No matter if it cost fox lots of money or not. His perfomance was hot hot hot…As it always is.

Posted by MoMo | Report as abusive

Because Jeff A. says he is not a stage dad, we should just accept that as the final truth? I don’t even believe what Joe Smith said, let alone Jeff A.

Posted by Glenda Frazier | Report as abusive

Good for Jeff Archuleta! I, personally, believe, AI did this to manipulate the competition. They are giving David C unfair advantage, judges saying things they wouldn’t have said, even taking the aerosmith song away from David A to David C, not allowing Syesha strings when they gave them to Cook.. They probably didn’t like David’s dad protecting his son and taking up for him so that they wanted him out of the way. I wish everyone would call the sponsors and tell them they should not support such corruption…Producergate! At a minor’s expense! Shame on NIGEL! CALL THOSE SPONSORS or he’ll do it again next year!

Posted by jr | Report as abusive

Well, Im sure it doesnt take much to make David Archuleta cry. He seems to be incredibly emotional. Hes wayy to girly. And i think he might be gay, and his smile. Omg. but like i absolutley hate his “Whispy” breath.
Thats It

Posted by Caleb | Report as abusive

As a parent, I think Jeff Archileta is just simply caring and looking out for his very talented son! More fathers should be like him. David Archilleta is a very very talented singer. Both of them are great (Cook and Archilleta), but I think David Archilleta should win on account of the purity of his voice. His good looks and charming persona are icings on the cake of who he is! That boy, even when i saw him during the eliminations, I knew in my heart right away would be the American Idol! Either way, win or lose, he is a winner already. He’s got a great fan base! Good luck to both Davids. Either one is very deserving of the title. I just love David Archilleta because he is just the cutest kid and his fans cross all age brackets!

WELL DAVID A. YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON AT HEART. EVERYTIME I HEAR YOU SING, I GET TEARY EYED. BECAUSE YOU HAVE SUCH AN AMAZING VOICE. EVEN THOUGH DAVID C. WON, YOU ARE STILL AN AMERICAN IDOL IN MY BOOK. JUST KEEP ON SINGING LIKE YOU DO,AND I CAN’T WAIT FOR YOUR FIRST CD TO COME OUT. GOD BLESS YOU. (I’M JUST SO GLAD YOU HAVE A LOVING AND SUPPORTING FAMILY.)

hi guys.. can i join you all? i love david archuleta so much. he has a good voice n so cute..i think, he should be an american idol.. he..