Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

We have a final two, but Fantasia dominates “Idol” buzz

May 15, 2008

fantasia2.jpgIt was supposed to be Syesha’s night. After all, it was the axed Floridian’s last chance to shine on “American Idol” after a meteoric rise to third place that no one expected.

But here we are, the top two “American Idol” finalists decided after four intense months, and yet the buzz following Wednesday night’s elimination show centered not around the impending David showdown, or on the ouster of Syesha Mercado, but an over-the-top performance by an “Idol” winner from four years ago.

Fantasia, the passionate, raspy-voiced single mother from North Carolina, to this day is arguably the edgiest “Idol” winner ever (Taylor Hicks and his premature head of gray hair don’t count). Tonight, however, she truly outdid herself, bursting onto the stage with a head of fire engine red hair and three backup dancers and delivering a high-energy performance of her song “Bore Me.”

The performance immediately sparked a lively debate on the Web over whether Fantasia was back to her magnetic self or had completely lost her mind.

“I loved it…it was FUN and CRAAAAZZZY! I was up dancing!” wrote one fan on the “Idol” forums, while another said: “What was all the screaming about? That’s talent? She’s lost it.”

Many viewers commented on Simon Cowell’s slack-jawed stare during Fantasia’s performance, saying he couldn’t have made his feelings any clearer.

On YouTube, where several versions of the performance were posted following the show, one viewer panned the performance, but admitted to being unable stop watching the video.

cowell1.jpg“For some strange reason beyond my own comprehension I can’t stop watching the vid!!! It’s like deep down inside I want to punish myself for all the mistakes I did in my life by watching this freakshow!”

Isn’t that what reality TV is all about?

For more on the elimination show, click here.

Comments

Fantasia was amazing last night on Idol. She rocked the house – took over the stage and she didn’t miss a note or a dance step. The most amazing thing I have seen since her performance at the Tony Awards. She was as red hot as her hair.

Posted by Mary Anne | Report as abusive

I watch American Idol because my mother is visiting and she likes to watch it. I grew up in the 70′s and my favorite artists were the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aretha Franklin, Guy Clark and Carly Simon — very diverse to say the least. I don’t know alot about Fantasia but I know talent when I see it. This lady is a pure entertainer! I was mesmerized. Keep doing what you’re
doing Fantasia . . . not everyone will “get you,” but your unique gifts are noticed and appreciated by many of us!

Posted by Celia | Report as abusive

Sad as it is I always knew performance “enhancing” drugs would one day find there way to the Idol stage. More shocking is that it wasn’t Paula who brought them there!

Posted by TGOOOm | Report as abusive

IT WAS A HORRIBLE PERFORMANCE. COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ONE WORD SHE SANG/SHOUTED. HER DANCING WAS OVER THE TOP. THE BEST THING OF ALL WAS SIMOS FACE, THAT WAS PRICELESS AND WORTH A MILLION JUST TO SEE HIS FACE.
WHAT WAS SHE THINKING!!!!!

Posted by sue | Report as abusive

As much as I never cared for the girl or any of her music, I thought it was a great performance. I just bought my first Fantasia song. The beat was great and even though I couldn’t understand a thing she was singing, how many songs can you actually understand anyways. As a 44 yr old white male growing up listening to Led Zep, Pink Floyd and the likes, what in the hell were any of them singing about? She entertained, and that’s what it’s all about. ENTERTAINING!

Posted by Dean | Report as abusive

One more thing, after two weeks of Beatles, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Neal Diamond and the crappy song selections by the producers, I mean who in the hell are they trying to appeal to? Have the producers forgot who their fan base is? They need more stuff like Fantasia and up to date music. There is a reason why Artists don’t make music like they did in the sixties anymore, no one buying music likes that crap. Remember last season with Hermans Hermits, give me a break! Obviously Simon had something to do with that. This is the USA, sign American Artists songs!

Posted by Dean | Report as abusive

I loved fantasia when she was an idol contestant, but last night’s performance was just wierd. It just goes to show that you can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of the girl. However, I have to admit I kept rewinding to watch it over and over like slowing down to stare at a car wreck.

Posted by Kim | Report as abusive

WOW!! FANTASIA!! WOW!! YOU’RE SMOKIN’ SIZZIN’ SMACKIN’ HAWT!!

Posted by Accidental Tourist | Report as abusive

Fantasia was outrageous and totally entertaining. A female James Brown. I smiled the whole time she was up there. You don’t have to love her, or her singing, to appreciate such an energized show. This is HOLLYWOOD, not classic opera. Only the priggish and non-funloving would have not been entertained. WTG Fantasia, you keep being yourself!

Posted by hamij | Report as abusive

Hell, that was awful! I liked her when she was on Idol, but I had no clue what she was singing, really. I think Simon’s face said it all. He must’ve been thinking, “THAT won this show?!”

Posted by Sarah | Report as abusive

I’m in the LOVED IT category! I watched it back three times. I loved her dancing, and the backup girls! It was way more entertaining to watch than this season’s contestants are.

Posted by Tiffany | Report as abusive

hey y’all!!!! The only time that I got so excited over Idol this season was Fantasia’s performance. My entire family was so blown away and I must say that she really made a big impression. That was the most awesome performance ever by an Idol!!!! Period. She may not be skinny and pretty and not a Mariah Carey but her big personality on stage made her a true star. She made a very sincere performance and the energy that she put into it made every viewer so important and special. She made me feel so good after her performance that I wanted more from Fantasia. Now that’s the show…. not all the mediocre craziness that’s happening so much lately with the not so talented idol contestants. This season actually made me look dumb.. still curious who’s gonna win… but I can only hope and pray that the deserving contestant wins! More Fantasia please!!!

Thank God for Fantasia. Always watchable, entertaining and never boring

That was one great performance. Those that didn’t get it. Too bad, because that was homeage to James Brown, reminicent of Janis Joplin. So refreshing not to have the same cookie cutter performer . I was totally entertained , we haven’t had that in a long time. Long live James Brown!!

Posted by carole | Report as abusive

Fantasia and I have alot in common. She has and always will be my girl no matter what. There is nothing wrong with trying new things. Simmon was looking like that because he probaly was shocked by her hair color. He was expecting a more touching performance from Fantasia. He really believes in her. Fantasia keep up the good work, reguardless of what folk think of you! You got money now, use it how you see fit.

Posted by Jada Howard | Report as abusive

Fantasia did not sing, she screamed/mumbled every so often. Her back-up singers should have won IDOL.
That had to be the worst performance on American Idol ever!
Actually Fantasia has always had the most grating voice, and her win – well!!

Syesha, Carly and every girl/guy in the top 10 for the last 2 years YOU all walk on this rubbish.
Fantastia’s dreadful performance of “Summertime”, won her IDOL. What a shame so many American’s have not seen/heard this classic, actually sung, NOT screamed.

How come everyone says “I agree with Simon”…we don’t know what he was thinking. They caught some shots of him with a weird face…but they also showed a clip of him smiling and clapping at the end of the performance. I think this whole “Simon” looks disgusted…is just for what it is…to get everyone talking.

Posted by papah | Report as abusive

Awesome performance. You bashers ‘don’t get it’ as stated above. Simon loved it. You should love it.

Posted by Averyz | Report as abusive

Hey, I totally agree with papah! In fact, wind back your tape to where Fantasia is working the audience and she passes near Simon. There’s a shot of the side of his head and you can see his bulging, smiling face cheeks. Jeez, can we form our own opinion whether or not Simon approves anyway? The producers got their money shot, I’m telling you.

Posted by Ellie | Report as abusive

Fantasia was amazing. Made me think of James Brown – same kind of raw energy.

Posted by lisa | Report as abusive

The viewers got what they deserve. Just because you can scream or hold a note for 10 minutes does not mean you are a great singer.

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

I LOVE FANTASIA…..
SHE IS BETTER THAN 2 FINALIST…

Posted by cd hudson | Report as abusive

I keep telling people she reminds me of chris tucker in drag. Like his role in that movie with bruce willis called the fith element I think. That performsnce on Idol just reinforced my thoughts

Posted by bmr | Report as abusive

Fantasia singing??????? o my God, this girl scared the daylights out of me and my husband, running around the stage like she was possessed and screaming on top of her lungs, please —never again

Posted by Yola94 | Report as abusive

I don’t even watch AI anymore so I had no idea about Fantasia’s amazing performance! I was just pondering on why I stopped watching the show–it just hasn’t been the same since Fantasia won. She really set the bar high as far as the type of TRUE entertainment Americans are yearning for.

When they announced this year’s finalists, I shut off the TV in disgust. Nowadays, it’s all about looks and teenie boppers. Talent is simply an afterthought. Not to mention, the producers continue to place weak minority contenders on to soften the competition.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link :)

Unfortunately I was out of town and missed A.I. and only found out 3 days later that Fantasia was on the show. I happen to catch the look on Simon’s face and wondered what the song sounded like, or did she perform some lewd act or what. I read comments, and most of them were great and I finally googled the performance. I agree with one writer that Fantasia is not on A.I., she is a singer and performer. She’s always performed with zest, and since she’s doing what she’s always loved to do, she makes sure she entertains. True, some of James Brown’s words you couldn’t understand, but he was definitely “Godfather of Soul”. Tina Turner and her dancers were energetic as well. I love Fantasia and while watching the performance I had to say “You Go Girl”.

Posted by Berlena Staton | Report as abusive

I LOVE THIS PERFORMANCE…MAN FANTASIA IS HOTT!!! SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST… AND I AM SHOCKED AND IN DISBELIEF AT THE AMOUNT OF HATERS….YA’LL NEED TO REALIZE THAT THIS GIRL IS BLESSED AND ANNOITED..SHE WILL STILL BE HERE TOMORROW DOING HER THING WHILE ALL YOU HATERS ARE SPEAKING THE SAME HATE….. SIMON,,, ITS TIME FOR YOU TO SIT DOWN ANYWAY,,,, FANTASIA MADE ME EVEN WATCH IDOL…. IT TOTALLY SUCKS NOW… WHEN I SAW HER DOING HER THING I WAS GLUED TO THE SCREEN… SHE WORKED IT OUT AND I AM LOOKING FOR MORE OF THAT. GOOD JOB TASIA….

Posted by Jacob | Report as abusive

Fantasia has lost her singing ability. Now all she can do is scream/shake her booty and hire backup singers as the main singing component. Call her a performer and NOT as a singer.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

DAVE,,,That has got to be the most stupid comment ever….She can’t sing?? What…In fact..what the hell? Fantasia is the best singer of “her” generation. So you “think” she had a bad performance, so now, all of a sudden the girl can’t sing… Thats phony and so are you! recognize!!

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I heard so much about Fantasia’s performance that I had to find in on line. Question, what was wrong with her performance? The girl ROCKED! While her hair was strange, in color; we must be mindful that this lady is a SUPERSTAR! She no longer has to adhere to the American Idol rules, or our narrow perceptions. Interesting enough, there is a saying, those that can’t, criticize. When was the last time any of you critical folk sold out auditoriums? Chill out everyone. If we were all to be alike, we would be. Fantasia is an entertainer. Check her out the next time she is in your area.

Posted by Denise Williams | Report as abusive

Fantasia Cannot sing! She sounds like a deaf person whose having a cesiure. Or a duck with a mouth full of salty crakers. The ONLY reason she won AI was because of the color of her skin. Its called reverse racism. People for some reason are scared to disagree with black people. It would be like letting a legless man win a foot race, just because he’s disabled. Come on people grow a bakebone!