Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

David Cook, the “American Idol,” in his own words

May 22, 2008

cookwinner.jpgWell, well, well… here we are. An “American Idol” has been chosen yet again, and those of us who have been following the show moment-by-moment are in what can only be described as a post-”Idol” hangover.

That’s especially true for those of us in the media who hung around for hours backstage at L.A.’s Nokia theater last night waiting to interview the “Idol” himself, David Cook. Once he did finally appear, Cook talked to reporters about Simon’s apology, how it felt to win, and what kind of a record he wants to make.

Here’s what he said:

Q: What did you think of Simon Cowell’s apology?

A: I didn’t really know that the apology was warranted. I thought what he said was an opinion and nothing more. At no point did I feel disrespected. But yeah, I’m appreciative of the fact that he decided to apologize. An apology from Simon is a pretty rare gem.

Q: What went through your mind in the moment you found out you had won?

A: That my music teacher made me sing in a Christmas pageant in second grade, and now I’m here. And so the ride’s been pretty nuts. You couldn’t write this. Maybe you guys can, but I can’t.

Q: Did you think you were going to win?

cookpaula.jpgA: I didn’t. The respect I have for David Archuleta is very much past a competitor thing. He has more talent at his age than I know what to do with at 25, so to be able to share the stage with him was an honor for me. I kinda went into Tuesday just to have fun, and the fact that I walk out of here as the next “American Idol” is not a testament to me so much as it’s a testament to the other 23 contestants we had this season and to everybody behind the scenes.

Q: What was your favorite performance of the season?

A: Of mine? The last one. I have been holding my breath for four months, so tonight was just about exhaling and enjoying what this show is and what it isn’t.

Q: What kind of a record do you want to make?

A: A good one. That’s the kind of record I want to make.

Q: What are your expectations of being the “American Idol?”

A: I actually walked into this with no expectations, and I’m walking out of it with no expectations. I think this show is a springboard, but it’s still a crap shoot. I could easily walk out of this arena and be just a regular Joe tomorrow. I hope that doesn’t happen.

Q: How important was it to share this experience with your brother, who you auditioned for “American Idol” with?

A: For me it just made the whole experience full circle. In August, I stood in line in Omaha, Nebraska at 5:30 in the morning and it was raining, with no intention of auditioning. And now I’m here and I got to share that moment with the same two people I stood in line with seven or eight months ago. So it was a nice bookend.

For the full story, click here.

Comments

I am so happy David C. won. David A. was boring- good voice but too polished. David C. has a great future and career ahead. He’s a true musician- not just a good singer.

Posted by Jennifer Moeller | Report as abusive

I wish it could’ve been a tie cause both finalists offer something different. David A. has a beautiful voice, but he’s limited to what he sings. David C. has a good voice but is more versatile. His version of Billy Jean should be recorded on his CD. It was awesome!
I wish them both successful careers.
David Cook is such a gentleman to give credit to the other contestants. He has a lot of class, which others in the past have lacked. I thought it was awesome when he applauded David A. as he walked off the stage. No one has ever done that, that I can remember.
Congrats to David C. Good job! Congrats to David A, too.

Posted by Barbara Trainor | Report as abusive

WOW, This season of American Idol was absolutely awesome and to be topped off with last nights final show of the season it was INCREDIBLE!!! I had been cheering for David Cook all along yet there were sooo many great contestants. I believed from the final 6 on it would be David C. and David A. in the final 2. David A has an awesome voice and ability and will go far if he chooses. David Cook won my heart. I was born and raised in Topeka, Kansas and hadn’t heard that David C was from Kansas City until last week. I told my mom no wonder I had liked him, he’s got that mid-west charisma. I so hope that he will be greatly blessed in his endeavors. May God continue Blessing YOU David Cook!! You were WONDERFUL!

Posted by Joyce | Report as abusive

It was very exciting that David Cook won american idol. He done a very good job and will represent american idol well. David A was very talented and done a excellent job. they are the two that should have been standing there at the end of the season. David A is still young and the only reason i was pulling and wanting David Cook to win is david a is not yet mature enough to handle this type of winning. hes young and i am afraid that the type of performing and songs that david would do would not been the ones he wanted but the ones of others and there dreams. David A will do well. David Cook will have a good career start. American Idol has started a many contestant to there goals and dreams for them.

Posted by TERRY BAILEY | Report as abusive

I am a loing term Idol fan, and I believe that both Davids deserved to be there last night, were the best, were nice and genuine people. I agree that DA is a little young to make the most of the opportunity, despite his wonderful singing voice. They will probably both sel albums. I have never seen an idol share his limelight like that, and I believe that shows what an extraordinary young man he is. I am so pleased he won, he gave me many weeks of enjoyment and a whole playlist of fabulous songs to listen to. I hope he gets an album out quickly.

Posted by Karin | Report as abusive

DAVID,

I KNEW FROM DAY ONEy OU WOULD BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL. THE REASON I AM WRITING YOU IS BECAUSE I THINK YOU AND MY DAUGHTER WOULD MaKE GREAT COUPLE;
RIGHT NOW SHE IS SERVING IN THE PEACE CORPS. SHE IS A BEAUTIFUL BLONDE, 5’4″
110 LBS 24 YO YOUNG WOMEN. I AM WRITING TO YOU BECAUSE YOU SEEM SO SINCERE LIKE MY DAUGHTER, Sara Fisher, I WISH ONE OF YOUR FIRST SONGS WHOULD BE SUNG WITH YOUR BROTHER. I TRULY BELIEVE THIS WOULD BE AMAZING. YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN AND PERHAPS YOU CAN MEET MY DAUGHTER. YOU HAVE GREAT CAREER AHEAD OF YOU. GOD BLESS YOU!

SINCERELY,
COLLEEN CARNEGIE
ccarnegie@nycap.rr.com

i can get messages to Sara if you wold like.
Please write back

IDOL, AND I AM PROUD THT I HELPED CHOOSE YOU. MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT RECEIVE EMAIL BUT

Well, i guess im the only david a. fan here. Don’t get me wrong david cook is very very great and i’ll have to agree with david a., Cook deserved the win, not becaues hes better though, but mainly because he is 110% fully focused on his music career where as david a. has said that he still wants to continue school and focus on that to get it out of the way, but i DONT think he is to young, thats a bad way to word it. He is very mature for his age and there are many many young artist out there that are younger than him and are making everything out of it with no problems. If david a. would have won to me it would have been a waste in a way sence he wouldnt do much right away with a music career unless of course he had a plan B for winning. Anways Congradulations David Cook, and Great job david for sure you will both do great and i will buy your ablums.

Posted by Hater | Report as abusive

I think it was a big hype as it should be. The record industry needs new faces and David Cook has the potential to become a “world” star. At least I got a lot of new visitors on my David Cook Fan Page from Asia and around the world are the responses really great. I think he is not a one-hit wonder.
Congratulation David Cook and good luck with your new record

DAVID COOK IS THE HOTTEST
GUY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy David C. won besause David A. didn’t sing well.David C. should have thousands of cd’s by the time 5 years is up.David C. is really hot!