Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Barbra Streisand backs Obama

July 1, 2008

obama.jpgLikening Democratic U.S. presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama to a political “trailblazer,” singer Barbra Streisand has become the latest Hollywood celebrity to join the Obama campaign bandwagon, switching from her past support of Sen. Hillary Clinton.

“Barack has awakened in many of us the notion that we can again be hopeful, enabling us to believe that we are capable of lifting our brothers and sisters out of poverty, of providing quality education for all our children, of ending this unjust war in Iraq and bringing our troops home streisand.jpgsafely,” Streisand wrote on Tuesday in a posting on her Web site, http://www.barbrastreisand.com/.

“He’s reminded us ‘yes we can’…we can make the transition from fossil fuels to green energy; we can take care of our elderly and make sure that good healthcare is not just a perk for a few, but a right for every man, woman and child,” she said. ”We are experiencing not just a presidential campaign, but a movement; a movement of inspired young people who have been cynical about politics for too long.”hillary.jpg

Since narrowly defeating Clinton at the end of the U.S. primary elections in June, Obama, a Democrat from Illinois, has picked up numerous endorsements. Clinton, a U.S. Senator from New York, has appeared with him in a show of Democratic party unity. Last week, Obama held a fundraiser in Los Angeles that raised some $4 million to $5 million, and several Hollywood stars such as Dennis Quaid and Samuel L. Jackson were there.

Streisand, of course, is a major Hollywood celebrity and fundraiser for Democrats. Yet, celebrity endorsements have a mixed track record in helping candidates, the experts say. Republican candidate Sen. John McCain also has celebrity endorsements including from actors Sylvester Stallone and Robert Duvall.

Comments

Doesn’t this woman own giant houses with big carbon footprints? And, she doesn’t want electric windmills placed in the ocean spoiling her view from all her beach front property? Maybe she should vote Republican. Is she going to meet with the big O at a pricey hotel to get the world view?

Posted by allen antrim | Report as abusive

What I find funny is these celebs actually think that they are helping the people they endorse.

Posted by mitchsn | Report as abusive

Once again Barbra proves she’s a person of truth, vision and common sense. This 8 year national nightmare under Bush is soon coming to an end. On Inauguration Day, the majority of our country will say to President Obama, “Hello Gorgeous”!!!

Posted by Nicky Arnstein | Report as abusive

I had heard that she was endorsing Bob Barr.

Posted by Tomlouky | Report as abusive

STOP these negative comments about Babs! Don’t you people understand she and the other Hollywood elite are not only looking out for our best interests but the rest of the world as well. She understands that if Barack Obama is elected, we won’t drill for oil or build nuclear plants or produce oil from coal. As Harry Reid said, coal and oil are ‘dirty’ and bad for our environment. We may pay 10 or 15$ for gas and heating oil but we will save the planet from Climate Change. Bless her and the other liberals for looking out for our best interests!

Posted by Love Liberals | Report as abusive

Barbara Striesand should just pack her bags and move. Barb is a Liberal and she will never be happy in the United States.

Liberals are the most miserable human beings in the world, what are they doing in America? Americans believe in right and wrong. That kills the Liberals.

Posted by Rick Morrow | Report as abusive

I can’t wait to fly my flag half mast for Babs!!!!!!!!!

Posted by lwayne | Report as abusive

Hope, Change, Believe! Hope they don’t destroy us completly and believe we’ll have more than just some “change” to spend. These are most arrogant, “high mind”, my crap doesn’t stink, and do as I say people I have seen in my short 60+ years. TAX – TAX is all you hear.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

I almost forgot–didn’t she also promise to leave the country when Bush was elected?

Posted by allen antrim | Report as abusive

to Milton: Actually, it was Nixon who took the dollar off the gold standard in 1971, but that does not preclude the fact that Carter was the worst president we have had in modern times. If there is anyone who wants to repeat those horrible years, a vote for Obama will almost guarantee it.

Posted by stromboli | Report as abusive

You folks are ALL idiots. Babs is the bomb and Obama is the man. He’s going to win and be the next Prez, so GET USED TO IT!!!!!

Posted by homeboy | Report as abusive

Clever move. Babs secretly intends to write in Cindy Sheehan so she endorses Obama and delivers the Kiss of Death.

Posted by Ralph Cramden | Report as abusive

Thank God I found out who Babbs is backing. I could have made the wrong choice. Now if I could only find out whom Gary Coleman, Vanilla Ice, Burt Reynolds, Andrew Dice Clay, B Arthur, the Olson Twins and Lynday Lohan are backing, I will finally have correct candidate to vote for.

Posted by slamin'456 | Report as abusive

Will she sing this for the Anti-American Marxist if he gets elected?

Isn’t it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn’t it bliss?
Don’t you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can’t move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I’d stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don’t you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you’d want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don’t bother, they’re here.

Isn’t it rich?
Isn’t it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.

Posted by 02Z06Vette | Report as abusive

who cares what she says – tell her to go on strike and stay there.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

BS Loves BO – What a Shocker – “Happy Birtday…Mr. President… PHEW!!!! – El Stink-o BABS….

Obama has captured the imagination of Americans. Sadly, imagination is all that’s required to endorse him. He talks about change and hope- but without the application of experience, knowledge, and truth, all you can do is HOPE the CHANGE he brings is better than what we have now. It is foolish and dangerous to assume that change would be for the better.

Posted by Lefty | Report as abusive

Wow, since when did all the over-the-hill anti-american bull-sh#% spewing hollywood liberals all decided to start looking like Joan Rivers.

Who cares what she thinks and why is this even “NEWS”

Posted by Chuck | Report as abusive

Love Liberals (3:04 pm GMT),
You’re still in college, possibly high school, aren’t you? And, if by some chance, you are older than that; Grow up! Learn how the “real world” works! Learn how the economy works! Learn how those gas prices that you are talking about won’t exist because if they even double what they are at right now, it will only be chaos out there! People are hurting right now! Family and friends of mine are pinching pennies already: They all made decent wages as of 18 months ago! If that “flip-floping” nut-job gets elected, you are going to lose more of your paycheck to his semi-socialistic/semi-communistic “vision” of America. I make decent wages for what I do, but even I am starting to hurt from this economy! Then we have people who share your philosophy out there that want to make me hurt more? Get out of you Underoos and get current with reality before you open your mouth again!

Posted by Pappione | Report as abusive

Oh what a shock! Babs backs the liberal candidate…is the world coming to and end? She obviously has been put under the Obama spell that he will save the world. She mentions “perks”…hey Babs, speaking of perks, when you leave your multi-million dollar mansion in Bevery Hills to hop in to your stretch limo which takes you to those Hollywood parties, why don’t you stop off in Compton and pick up a few under-priviledged people and bring them along with you so they can enjoy the perks you get. And give away those free gift bags that are worht $100K each to some people in the ‘hood.

Babs, you’re a phony like the rest of Hollywood.

Posted by Nick C - NYC | Report as abusive

who care about BS . this aging diva who is overated and greedy ( charging $200 for ticket for belting with her shrilly voice. ) . Like the rest of Hollywood phonies , she wants a young guy so good by BJ clinton and forget about HRC.The ordinary people does not care about her stupid and mindless opinion . she can have Obama for President. Obama the empty suit who claimed that the United states has 57 states. Is this what Harvard University producing nowadays. and by the way , someone owe to check the greatest orator amd the messiah Obama- it turns out that he just change some of the word from the speech of Mario cuomo.Isn’t that a plagiarishm? so how come the Reuter did not pick up on this or is this another pass for the annointed Obama? and the most scary think is the so call slogan “yes we can “- I heard from talk radio that this originate from the Irian terrorist president Mammoud Achmanijedad .Pretty scary isn’t it. it seems like Obama has the propensity to borrow from other peoples speech . Just like the title of his book the audacity of hope – which really come from the white hater preacher- jeremiah Wright.

Posted by Janefanoi | Report as abusive

Anyone who gets an endorsement from Streisand immediately wears a virtual T-shirt emblazoned “ULTRA LIBERAL.” Obama really needed that at this point.
One hopes that Streisand has hired a high school student to edit her postings on her web site, to avoid her past ignorance of spelling and grammar. (Or was she just enjoying some exotic substance while posting?)

Posted by Tom in Virginia | Report as abusive

Obama, experience you can believe in. (list accomplishments here)

Posted by James X | Report as abusive

Wow, it was refresing to read these comments. For a minute, I thought it mattered who Babs was supporting. Glad to know the majority agrees with me…who cares!

Posted by Suzanne | Report as abusive

Barbara Big Nose constantly flaunts her tiny Hollywood intellect. Living in the arms of fabulous wealth and privilege, she want all to think that she is not for “the wealthy”, but for the “little people”.
Like it was said, her initials are B.S.

Posted by James X | Report as abusive

I feel better now knowing who BS will support. She says “Barack has awakened in many of us the notion that we can again be hopeful…” Can ONE of these idiots tell me how higher taxes and a socialized government is HOPEFUL? What hope is there to go BACKWARD and become Canada or France? A word of advise to the Queen of Idiots, “SHUT UP, climb back into your mansion and SHUT UP!”

Posted by Anne | Report as abusive

I BELIEVE that Babbs is right. We do need a CHANGE. We need to CHANGE all the things that are the same. I BELIEVE in HOPE. HOPE that CHANGE will prevail and that all the things in need of HOPE will be CHANGED. CHANGE will invoke HOPE in America. And those with newly found HOPE and whom BELIEVE in CHANGE will CHANGE the direction of this country simply by HOPING to make a CHANGE in what we BELIEVE.

If anyone knows of a good socialist needing a speech writer lemme know.

I am still waiting for Pelosi and the Dem. congress to lower gas prices as promised before they were in power.

Posted by Bri | Report as abusive

Well, if there wasn’t already convincing evidence that Obama is bad for American you’ve got it now.
Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows these hollywood twits stand against the ideal of the Unites States and what it was founded on so the candidate they support is quite obviously the wrong candidate for this country.
McCain is bad too, but he isn’t Obama bad. Actually, Obama scares me more than Carter.

Funny – in the old days the politicians promised opportunity and the chance to succeed – but Obama, if you can’t succeed on your own he’s going to make sure the government (ie. We, the people) pay for your success.

Truly a sad state this country has come to for this emtpy suited wonder to actually be a viable, and apparently front running, candidate.

Posted by DJH | Report as abusive

Up until the 20th century, singers and actors were considered the dregs of society. Only since modern media has the profession become lucrative. Why on earth would anyone consider the opinion of a person whose only qualification is they can sing or pretend well. (would you listen to the political views of any american idol contestant?)
Name 5 things Obama will change and how will he accomplish them. Please provide details. Reaching across the aisle is not a means or idea on how to change things.
Change for changes sake is not what we need. Plenty of leaders have brought change and not always good change.
are less taxes good or bad?
Healthcare is not free. I wont mind if babs, sarandon and clooney are paying for it though. Make up for some of the trash they have inflicted on us at the movies. yentl alone is worth babs subsiized healthcare for california.

Sadly, the bastion of liberalism will continue to win the media attention, regardless of how lacking it is in substance, and the mob (aka gullible and equally ignorant Americans) will listen to it and vote the most liberal senator America has into office.

Posted by Paul | Report as abusive

Now I can vote with a clear head for the Babs has spoken. Please take your dried up voice and just sing in the shower. No one cares who you vote for or what you stand for.

Posted by Carl | Report as abusive

I love actors. Their job is to pretend to be someone else while someone films them. This, to them, somehow translates into their political opinions mattering.

Posted by BobbyD | Report as abusive

I liked Ms. Streisand in What’s Up, Doc? when I saw it on TV as a kid. But she needs to keep quiet about politics. Obama is my choice for president and he’s most likely going to win. McCain is just too old. Obama is the future. But Ms. Streisand is only hurting Barack by supporting him in the media. Not helping. She’s pretty out of touch with regular Americans, just like the idiot in chief, George W. Bush. Obama in 2008!

Posted by Jace | Report as abusive

Sorry Steve, a “good socialist” is an oxymoron.

I just wonder why Streisand backing a Marxist is a worthy news story. WHo else could she possibly support.

Talk about a non-story.

Posted by tytl | Report as abusive

This is the main reason folks are flocking to Obama: http://wylfwt.com/home/files/images/mcca in_bush-hug-713122.png

I don’t want CHANGE. I don’t want you lefties to run my world for me. I want you all to leave me alone, and leave my country alone, too. I like America just the way it is. The only thing I want is for the government hacks to take a long vacation and get out of our personal lives. You are taking away our freedoms a little at a time, and we keep voting in these clowns. Obama is the next Mussolini and he has the chin to prove it.

Posted by starzzguitar | Report as abusive

Wow, old Barb is just full of sound bites, isn’t she! Hope, change, yes we can! Inspirational movement! Hoo boy. That socialistic half wit would make me run like the wind from anyone she endorsed.

Posted by Glenna | Report as abusive

who is this old bag? never heard of her.. she thinks this barack guy can save the world? please!

Who Cares who Babs Supports??
Besides, I thought she moved to Canada after ole Dubya”W” was re-elected… at least she proclaimed & promised that she’ move to Canada.. Humm – What Happened??.. Did Canada not want her??)) I/We/ the U.S. does not want her either… especially now that she’s a run-of-the-mill, old, washed-up singer who never was all that great — unless you were to aske her herself…

Posted by Dana | Report as abusive

I am a Streisand fan, just feel sad because of her choice. Still ove her, but I believe she should have stayed neutral, after all, Obama stole the nomination, and played many cards to achieve it. Sorry Babs, I don’t agree with you this time.

Posted by Oscar P | Report as abusive

This is a place for hate spewers. What a sorry bunch! So you don’t like Barbra’s politics. Who cares. She is supporting the right candidate. Like it or not. Obama 08!

Posted by Darlene | Report as abusive

I’m a Barack supporter and wish to God BS wouldn’t endorse him. Anyone she endorses has to endure BS’s BS. Her vanity isn’t necessary in campaigns or elections. Go back to your hole and stop drawing unsolicited negative press, BS! Why is that these morons think they’re somehow significant because they can sing or act or play a sport? It’s because we (not me) put them on a pedestal and feed their egos. Wake up commoners! It’s time to take our country back from the Baldwins, Streisands, O’Donnells, and the rest of the kooks who think their 6 and 7-figure incomes entitle them to be heard over the masses.

Posted by A. J. | Report as abusive

I thought she passed away several years ago..??))

Is this really all it takes to get a Blog on the front page of Reuters??… This Blog is comparable to Tabloid Junk !!

Posted by Dana | Report as abusive

Why are some people so disrespectful? Where is all this hate coming from. Geesh, if you for someone , support them , if not, don’t. Now I see why people say that Americans are mean.

Posted by Flander Anapolis | Report as abusive

Who cares? By the way, I thought she was going to move Europe.

Posted by David Shepard | Report as abusive

Well of course! And this is news?

Posted by bella | Report as abusive

It doesn’t get any easier than this. Look at what the nuts in Hollowood do or want and do the opposite. Look at how most live their lives just to start with.

Posted by David Zlotnick | Report as abusive

Hope, faith, belief…sounds like another religion. This is the religion where Bush is the ultimate evil and big government is salvation.

The scary question is will I be forced to sit in this congregation!

Posted by actualsun | Report as abusive

Thank you Barbra for helping me to decided who to vote for. Now that you are backing Obama it’s clear to me that I need to vote for McCain. If you had picked McCain then I would vote for Obama.

Posted by EdKnows | Report as abusive