Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Miley “too tarty”, Katie “too dowdy” for Tim Gunn

August 28, 2008

Fashion guru Tim Gunn has given Disney teen star Miley Cyrus the thumbs down when it comes to style.miley-3.jpg

”(Miley Cyrus) is just a little too tarty, forgive me. I don’t want her to look like she’s going into a convent school, but it’s just a little too much for a 15-year-old. If I didn’t know better, I’d swear she was 25,” Gunn told OK! magazine.

The “Project Runway” mentor, who also has his own show “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style”,  had the opposite advice for actress Katie Holmes, who has transformed her look in recent months katie.jpgwith a short haircut.

“She went from looking like a little farm girl to looking like royalty,” Gunn said. “Now she needs to push back a little so she doesn’t look too dowdy or old.”

“Dowdy”, “Tarty” — has the usually oh so polite Gunn been taking lessons from “American Idol” king of mean, Simon Cowell? What do you think?

Comments

I agree to a certain extent but they are indivuals who have their own styles, and they can chose to dress however they want.

Posted by esther | Report as abusive

i agree-and i love me some tim gunn!

I usually go with what Tim says, but it looks like he is trying to get some attention and notoriety by criticizing the fashion of two incredibly popular individuals. Some people get attention and a reputation on their own. Others do it by attacking celebrities who already get a lot of attention. Sorry Tim, it’s true.

Posted by TIM GUNN FAN | Report as abusive

I totally agree with him. Katie dresses like an old woman. Miley, like most HOllywood kids, has grown up to fast, and her personal style reflects that.

Posted by electrick | Report as abusive

i totally agree with Mosieur Gunn. Katie indeed looks like a weather matron, and that is putting it lightly. Cause really she looks like a hag, sorry just calling it like it is. And Miley, trust me this girl is going 1000 miles an hour nowhere FAST. Thank you Tim for your input, keep it up.

Posted by Roxy LoveCat | Report as abusive

I don’t pay attention to anything Miley wears, but he’s definitely on the mark with Katie generally. The pegged jeans have got to go. Even when she is looking chic, she often just looks so much older than she really is.

Posted by Tee | Report as abusive

If Miley were an average 15 year old dressing like that it might be acceptable. Although, i really dont know to many girls my age (16-18) that wear heels as often as she does. I wear them to charities and banquets because i think as a kid still heels are a formal thing. Shes definitely the new Britney Spears.. except britney took a turn for the worst in her 20′s, not when she was 15. Miley still has a chance but there’s just no hope.

Posted by Meredith | Report as abusive

If you are interested in learning more about Tim Gunn (on a personal level), feel free to read the in depth interview with Tim Gunn in the current issue of Skin Deep Magazine that goes on sale this Tuesday, 12/2/2008. The cover has a picture of Tim Gunn on it. You can get it at Barnes and Noble, CVS, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Randalls, Safeway, Vons, Vons Pavilions or http://www.SkinDeepWorld.com