Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

“Idol’s” David Cook, David Archuleta renew rivalry

September 23, 2008

cook.jpgSome celebrity rivalries just never die, and that seems to be true of David Cook and David Archuleta. The battle of the Davids has morphed from the two singers’ friendly rivalry on the reality show “American Idol” to their careers as budding recording artists.

David Cook, the 25-year-old winner of “Idol” 2008, will release his debut album on Nov. 18, one week after runner-up David Archuleta, 17, releases his first album on Nov. 11. Cook won ”Idol” but Archuleta had many loyal fans, and it will be interesting to see whose album climbs the highest on record charts.

friends.jpgIn the meantime, Cook is releasing a single, “Light On,” from his upcoming album on the America Online pop culture site PopEater.com on Tuesday, said Roger Widynowski, spokesman for 19 Entertainment, Cook’s record company.

The lyrics for the songarchie.jpg include the lines: “Try to leave a light on when I’m gone/Something I rely on to get home” and “When the wires cross in my brain/You’ll start my heart again.”

The song was co-written by Chris Cornell, 44, former lead singer for the bands Soundgarden and Audioslave.  “Light On” will play on airwaves on Wednesday, Widynowski said.

While the two Davids are heading into a battle this November — and both have attracted legions of fans – career’s after “Idol” have been a mixed bag of success for contestants over the years.

Blake Lewis, last year’s runner-up, was dropped by Arista Records, and last week the beat box singer announced to fans his tour had been cut short. But “Idol,” which is gearing up for its eighth season, has also had a few breakout stars — including Grammy-winning country star Carrie Underwood and pop singer Kelly Clarkson.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis)

Comments

I love david archuleta. His fan for life. But I like Cook too cos he is like a big bro to DA. If Cook’s song sounds good I will support him. Archie I will buy all his albums to be. Period!

Posted by adelyn | Report as abusive

I’m going to reiterate what most folks have said so that there is no doubt. The competition ended 4 months ago. The “Battle of the Davids” exists only in the minds of a few fans who can’t let go, and is mostly a figment of the media’s imagination. I am a huge fan of David Archuleta, but I wish the absolute best for Cook, also. Please let this topic die so both fanbases can focus on what is real and inevitable–the rise of two superstars.

Posted by Valerie | Report as abusive

There are both good, but I love David Archuleta more!
I will buy all of his music.

Posted by ashley | Report as abusive

The two David’s have completely different fan bases, they are very different artists, and seem to be be fond of one another. I guess the perceived “rivalry” can only be good for sales…for both of them. I like them both!

Posted by jana | Report as abusive

Having seen both David’s on tour five times this summer, there really is no comparison. David Archuleta has a sweet voice and is still uncomfortable and a little awkward in the limelight but is getting more as ease with each performance. He is a boy and for the most part appeals to a different fan base. David Cook is all man. He is a consumate performer equally at home singing in a bar with ten in the audience as he is on a stage in front of 70,000 screaming fans. He can talk to anyone and is playful with the fans. Both are great singers in their own genre. I will probably never buy a David Archuleta CD because although he has a beautiful voice, his music doesn’t appeal to me. I will probably buy anything and everything that David Cook releases because I love the gritty, haunting quality to his voice and prefer the more raw, rock sound. However, I have had the pleasure of meeting both Davids and both are really, really nice guys and very deserving of their success. I wish them both nothing but the best. I don’t think they think of themselves as rivals, but articles like this do rile up the respective fan bases. Perhaps that is the intent.

Posted by Shari | Report as abusive

Yey! David Cook all the way! Can’t wait for the album!

Posted by cookforevah | Report as abusive

I am a male, married with children in my 40′s who loves all styles of music. Prefered rock for years. David Archuleta and David Cook are both very different artists. I voted for David Archuleta on AI because he was less experienced as an artist compared to Cook’s many more years experience being part of various rock bands. They are both talented. But ARCHULETA’s voice is absolutely incredible. Our whole family supported Archuleta from the beginning. DC is a good entertainer, another rock artist added to the list of many great rockers, but honestly I will save my money to go see a real established rock artist’s concert, DC is average. But will definitely pay anything to listen to David Archuleta’s incredible and vocal perfection ANYTIME< ANYWHERE!

Cook’s new single is kind of depressing to me and again he is SHOUTING. But what else is new?

ARCHULETA is the one my whole family will support. Can’t wait to buy his new album and see more of him.

Posted by Jonathan | Report as abusive

There is room for both of these talented guys. Although I prefer David Archuleta. He just has a way of penetrating my heart and soul with his amazing talent. If your not a fan now….you will be. We love you Archie!

Posted by Mary | Report as abusive

Enough with the competition talk already. Good luck to both of the Davids! May they have much success and long, long careers ahead. :)

Posted by Bella | Report as abusive

Both of the David’s will do just fine as they have there own fans. David Archuleta’s voice just touches my heart so much and when he sings I get goose bumps.

Posted by Shelly | Report as abusive

i luv them
check out the new single “Lights On”
http://www.iheartmusic.com/cc-common/ond emand/music.html?apid=4827

Posted by kelly | Report as abusive

I love David Archuleta’s song Crush! Its great and no wonder its doing so well… :) Im happy he has a hit…

Posted by Jerry | Report as abusive

Cook and Archuleta are not competing. It’s their fans that are competing with each other.

Posted by davie | Report as abusive

David Cook and David Archuleta would be the first ones to be happy for the other’s success! I come from a ‘split’ household (one fan of each) and we have learned from the guys to never put either David down – HA! Seriously, there is room for both. I wish I liked Cook’s ‘Light On’ more than I do but I know it will do great. I must say, though, that DA’s Crush is very addictive.

Posted by Karen | Report as abusive

If two great racehorses are on the same track, their performance will always garner alot of interest. I think that the two Davids will always be compared and the performance of their work gauged—-But for me, I agree with all who say that there really is no competition between them because of the difference in their artistry. The camaraderie between the two of them and the support they have given each other cheers my heart and for me makes this world a better place in which to live. Yeah, Davids!!! I am a total Archie fan-addict, but have to give props to DC for the new single. Loved the lyrics!

Posted by carolynlee | Report as abusive

There is no rivalry David A. and Cook are not even the smae music genres. I love David Archuleta an dthink his voice is amazing. I am a 34 year old black woman who loves a wide variety of music from pop, r&B, rock, country, alternative, jazz, soul, etc. you get my point. I watched AI and voted fro David A. becuase UI thoguth his voice was unique and absolutely beautiful. I recognize Cook has a very good vocie and I wish him well, but I’m an Archie for life. I wish teh emdia stop making waves otu of nothing, Compare Cook’s song/album to Daughtry or Cold Play, Wheezers, Chemical Romance, etc. not David Archuleta’s who has a pop adn R&B flavor. Compare to David A. to Jesse McCartney, Rihanna, etc. The aforementioned are fair comparisons. It seems like AI powers to be are trying to drum up publciity by creatign feuds where none exist instead of relying on their artists talent to drum up the publicity. David Archuleta doesn’t need this kind of publciity his amazing voice says it all.

Posted by Fran | Report as abusive

Let the battle begin. It can only boost the sales of both of them. I’ve never watched AI with as much intensity as I did this year. It will most likely continue this next year as long as there are two other as talented frontrunners like there were this year.

Posted by jerry | Report as abusive

Wow I am so glad to see that there are many who are tired of the media always pitting the Davids against each other. They are both talented youngmen and are good friends. Lets just support them both:)

Posted by Taylor | Report as abusive

YOU NEED TO MOVE ON – IT’S BEEN A LONGTIME AI IS ALREADY OVER AND DONE. WHAT’S THE POINT DAVID ARCHULETA CAREER HAS ALREADY TAKEN OFF AND NOBODY CAN’T STOP THIS KID – HE IS A SUPERSTAR IN THE MAKING. STOP USING DAVID ARCHULETA TO PROMOTE COOK – YOU ARE NOT HELPING COOK AT ALL YOU ARE RUINING HIS CAREER. THE GIMMICK WON’T BE WORKING ANYMORE – IT’S TIME TO CHANGE YOUR STRATEGY TO PROMOTE COOK BEFORE ITS TO LATE. MY GOSH, WHAT A BRAINLESS CREATURE WHO IS COOK PUBLICIST? MR. COOK YOU NEED TO FIRE HIM. YOU MUST STAND ON YOUR OWN AND NO NEED TO DRAGGED SOMEBODY TO PROMOTE YOURSELF BEFORE ITS TO LATE. PEOPLE IS GETTING TIRED OF YOU IF YOU KEEP USING DAVID ARCHULETA TO PROMOTE YOURSELF. YOU NEED A NEW STRATEGIST – YOU BETTER HURRY UP BEFORE ITS TO LATE.

Posted by BRAINLESS CREATURE | Report as abusive

I would never buy or listen to cook’s music. It’s NOT my type. Screaming is not singing! He seems like a nice guy though. On the other, I will buy ALL of ARCHIE’S music. He’s just a INCREDIBLE singer with great stage presence and great body movements. Awesome personality! I’m a oldie and Archie is the BEST there is!

Posted by wellington | Report as abusive

Since the first time i heard Archie i loved him. he has a magical voice, pure personality, i love archie new single crush i i cant wait to by his album. see he doesnt need to win AI anyway every one call him THE CHAMPION cuz he realy is. it doesnt matter if he wins or not,his dreams are coming true cuz he deserved

Posted by Astrid | Report as abusive

Haha, nice pic of Archie- lol- got Cook- I’m buying ur CD!

Posted by Cook Fan | Report as abusive

David Archuleta and David Cook have about as much in common as musicians as Josh Groban and Steve Perry. Why do you supposed experts in the media continue with the lazy comparisons? The show is over! The only thing the two Davids have in common is that they\’re both enormously talented, have to navigate a soul-sucking business while trying to maintain any semblance of artistic control, and appear to be very decent and respectable young men.

Posted by Trish | Report as abusive

I agree with so many others. Stop using David Archuleta to promote David Cook’s CD, each of these young men have their own fan base. But because American Idol created this rivelry it seems to be going on. I believe both of these artists are great. I will buy both CD’s. I love David Archuleta though for me his music is the best. American Idol in the beginning pushed and praised David Archuleta then when the media started commenting on this there was a big David Cook push up until the end. I have my own opinion on American Idol. I love the show because I love getting to see and know the new and up and coming talent ..Do I believe it is what it appears to be, no way. I believe that who the producers want to win will win….We can vote all we want but in the end they are going to choise..It can be proven if America did a poll of every person who voted the outcome would be different..Just my opinion.

Posted by BJ | Report as abusive

Wow, a battle, no but sorry there is no battle, the competition is over. I am a big Cook fan but I think Archie has an amazing voice also, I just like Rock music more. I am sure they both will be very successful. Please stop trying to make one better than the other. They are both awesome!

Posted by Matt | Report as abusive

I am so glad very few people took the bait in this article. These two are very supportive of each other. I am a huge Archuleta fan, but there are many good things to be said about both these men as artists and people. I’m sure they have grown tired of the comparisons as well.

Posted by Pascalee | Report as abusive

I found the following list on the internet. Sounds like David Archuleta’s debut album will have a fair amount of diversity.
1 Crush
2 My Hands
3 Touch My Hand
4 Barriers – (No Doubt meets Bob Marley)
5 A Little Too Not Over You
6 Your Eyes Don’t Lie – not sure how to describe (Bonnie Raitt meets country/folk)
7 You Can = Ballad (acoustic guitar) very beautiful melody and lyric, very “david”
8 Running – Midi Mafia – R&B/Pop/Kinda jazzy, Very Cool!!
9 Don’t Let Go – U2 meets the Fray style – pop/alternative (David co-wrote with JC from NSync)
10 Desperate – Big mature sounding power ballad – Desmond Child (Bon Jovi hit songwriter)
11 To Be With You – Ballad #2 (piano) Pretty love ballad
12 Angels – new version – Ballad #3 (David on piano)

13 Works for Me – Bonus Track (Walmart only) – organic bluesy pop – David co-write with Daniel Bedingfield

I think both Davids know that their target markets are tremendously different. Personally, David A. is my artist of choice, but I hope that David C. will have some tracks on his album that appeal to me. I really didn’t like Light On, but I am not ruling out the possiblity of liking his other music. I hope to see alot more of both. Good luck Davids.

Posted by Becky | Report as abusive

Ha?Battle?No battle people!!David Cook got the Platinum Award for just 3 months and his single Light On is also Platinum.Hahaha…Using the name of the other David just ti promote Cook’s?What a joke,he doesn’t need that.And also DC is twice mentioned for setting some world records in Guinness.And he is the cover of the World Almanac.And put also Time of my Life selling million…Wow!!Amazing

Posted by Bianca | Report as abusive