Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Doggone it! Fey to reprise Palin role on SNL

October 3, 2008

Which lifeline will she use this time?tina-fey.jpg

Tina Fey is expected to be back reprising her devastating impression of  Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live this weekend following the Alaska Governor’s performance in Thursday’s widely-watched vice presidential debate.

Actress and singer Queen Latifah has also been tapped to play journalist Gwen Ifill, who moderated the debate between Republican Palin and Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden, celebrity Web site TMZ.com reported on Friday.

It will be the third time that Fey has skewered the self-described hockey mom on SNL, which has seen its ratings soar thanks largely to the Emmy-award winning “30 Rock” actress’s uncanny resemblance to Palin.palin.jpg

Fey’s Palin skits have racked up more than five million viewings on the official SNL website alone, and hundreds of thousands more have watched on YouTube in the last three weeks.

After Fey/Palin asked last week whether she could “phone a friend” while struggling in her interview with journalist Katie Couric/Amy Poehler, which lifeline might Fey/Palin use this time?

Ask the audience, maybe?

Comments

Obama did say 57 other states in one of his rallies, but he corrected himself and owned up to it chocking it up to a long day. We’ve all used the wrong word before. It happens. But to not correct yourself when it’s pointed out such as the McCain thing with Spain is just plain stupid. It’s not a big deal with the 57 states thing because Obama owned up to having mis-spoke.

For me, someone who is willing to admit when they’ve made a mistake is the kind of leader I went to see in the White House. Not someone who will ride a mistake all the way to hell rather than admit they’ve made a mistake!

Posted by Lisa | Report as abusive

After Thursday’s debate, someone on the right said it will be next to impossible for Tina Fey to make fun of Palin’s debate skills and overall performance on SNL. I don’t think people get it: Tina is literally going to destroy this woman. This is not the comedic genius you want to challenge during an election year.

Posted by Tory | Report as abusive

If you hate liberals, why watch a “liberal” television show? You watched because you know as well as the rest of us that Palin is the poster girl for Affirmative Action and that her “candidacy” is a cruel joke on American democracy!
Tina, you have hit your stride, gurl! (sic) There’s a huge difference between human errors and lacking knowledge commensurate with the position one is seeking. Sarah Palin should be required to take and pass the New York State Regents Examinations in Global Studies and Geography and American History and Government.

Gosh; I laughed so hard I nearly choked. the Palin flock will never get it.

Posted by Shada | Report as abusive

The person who said the election isn’t funny is absolutely right. It should not be funny but then McCain picked Palin. Actually, it is sad but sometimes the way to throw off saddness is to try and laugh about it.

But it is sad, it is scary and it is sick.

Posted by Frances | Report as abusive

Kevin in SC–you said it!

I’m considered a “highly educated” person by virtue of Ivy League degrees and the like. I do not consider myself anywhere near qualified to be Vice President of the United States; or of any other country.

As a retired educator, Sarah Palin’s candidacy dilutes more than thirty years of insisting on a standard of excellence.

Posted by Shada | Report as abusive

Dear I HATE LIBERALS.
I too read the column that Ann Coulter wrote about Biden’s comment about FDR and the market crash. I assume that’s where you got your information? She takes a grammatical ambiguity and twists it into “Biden doesn’t know anything about history.” It’s certainly a joke of an argument lined up against WHAT PALIN DOESN’T KNOW.

I find it inconceivable that anyone could look me in the eye and tell me that they believe Palin is a qualified candidate for VP. She is a JOKE of a choice and the only reason people like I HATE LIBERALS won’t say so, is because he hates liberals. By definition, he’s not going to do anything other than vote conservative.

Posted by Lucy Houston | Report as abusive

SNL isn’t getting mileage out of Palin because of some liberal bias, but instead because Palin is so laughably inept and such a ludicrous vp candidate.

Palin is not as stupid as people make her seem. I think she could one day be a fantastic politician, but I do not think she is ready to be VP. I am a Republican and McCain’s selection of Palin makes me furious. I understand he picked her to cater to female voters who wanted Clinton. I get it. But come on. Isn’t there a better female Republican out there? I can’t vote for McCain because if he dies, I fear Palin ruling our country. She’s not ready. I won’t vote for Obama, so I won’t be voting in November. Thanks McCain. Thanks for “putting country first.” Yeah, right.

Posted by mjj221 | Report as abusive

They need to take it to the next level and have Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey do McCain/Palin.

People should read “The Beatitudes”
Matthew 5:1-12. They will then know
the truth. Just because we don’t all
speak trash, doesn’t mean that we
aren’t heard.

The more I see her the more I’m reminded of the Lawrence Welk Show. All that wholesomeness is disturbing in 2008. Maybe some people who are yearning for yesteryear find her refreshing but she will be a bigger laughing stock than Bush. I was planning on voting Republican but I don’t think that’s wise anymore.

Posted by Ann | Report as abusive

McCain has seven (7) HOMES and thirteen (13) vehicles, two of which are foreign made,(country first?, versus Obama having one (1) home and one (1) vehicle (American made Prius) . . ?

Also, while campaigning in California, Palin quote Madeline Albright from her (Palin’s) Starbuck’s Mocha cup. Well, there you go who can afford Starbuck’s with this economy? Perhaps those that are out of touch!

I do not want someone, who could be a breath away from the President of the US, wink, wink, ah shucks, you betcha, wink, wink, their way through diplomatic meetings representing me and my fellow Americans. Where is the professionalism?

While I have nothing against the elderly, being sixty-three, I cannot, and shudder to think, McCain is “fit” to be president when he cannot even remember and/or did not know that Spain is part of NATO! Sheesh

Posted by Phyllis | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin should host the SNL show right before the election, w/Tina Fey-as-Palin on at the same time.

Posted by Russ | Report as abusive

All the world wants peace and job!!

That is the mission of the governant of USA!!

Posted by Leonardo Starling | Report as abusive

I am a big fan of Tina Fey even before she did the Palin skits. She is a very talented comedienne. :)

Posted by esther | Report as abusive

Old, old, old. Just shows that SNL just isn’t funny anymore. To keep repeating the Sarah Palin joke is lame.

Posted by Lily's mom | Report as abusive

Gee, if not for her “talent” for mocking good people, Tina Fey might just have to get a REAL job. May I suggest DITCH DIGGER, Tina? Oh and sorry, but you bear NO real resemblance to Gov. Palin. But go ahead and dream.

Posted by tony | Report as abusive

I wonder if Gov. Palin has been advised that Tina’s act was not all in good fun. Palin has a pure heart and she gives Fey the benefit of the doubt too. But Fey is no professional, she made this persoanl. She very haughtally made a poined comment while receiving an award lately…staring into the camera (and no she not nearly as good looking as the GOV), and asked the world to PLEASE help her retire her Palin impersination after Nov 4th. Now thats not all in good fun, and thats NOT professional. Sarah please don’t go, they are beneath you.

Posted by Talentscout bill | Report as abusive