Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Opie, Andy and the Fonz stump for Obama

October 24, 2008

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis)

Movie director Ron Howard has spent much of his adult life making a name for himself apart from the All-American boy named Opie he played on “The Andy Griffith Show” and the squeaky clean Richie Cunningham of “Happy Days.”

But in a video posted on Thursday at the comedy Web site Funnyordie.com, Howard stepped away from the director’s chair and became both Opie and Richie, one more time, to promote Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith) joined Opie, and The Fonz (Henry Winkler), the greaser from the sitcom “Happy Days,” had his own chat with Richie. “Happy Days” and “The Andy Griffith Show” are among the most popular shows in TV history. The full video can be found here.

“I’ve never done this before and I hope never to do it again, but I guess you could say I’m feeling pretty desperate these days,” Howard said in the video. “So, as a demonstration of my sincerity, this is for you America.”

With that, Howard entered the black-and-white world of 1960s program “The Andy Griffith Show,” playing the 8-year-old Opie who is the son of small-town sheriff Andy Taylor. He tells his TV “dad” he wants to vote for Obama one day. Griffith told him he could do it, if he avoided the “butter-fly ballot.”

In another segment, Howard reappears dressed as teenager Richie Cunningham. He talks to the Fonz, the leather-clad greaser on ”Happy Days” who epitomized cool. The two talk about voting and double dating with someone who sounds a lot like Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

“Ron Howard’s Call to Action,” as the nearly four-minute video is called, is the latest in a string of political videos placed at Funny Or Die, a Web site created by comedian Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay.

The biggest hit for the Web site so far was posted in August, when celebrity heiress Paris Hilton mocked Republican presidential nominee John McCain over an attack ad he put out using an image of Hilton. In that video, Hilton played it relatively evenhanded between Obama and McCain, offering her own political ideas as she launched a fake presidential candidacy.

Comments

Thank you Ron, Andy and Henry! Barack Obama is definitely the President we want in office to steer us out of the problems this country faces.

Posted by Paula | Report as abusive

I thought that Andy’s life was based on strong christian convictions, or so that is what he has told publicly in the past. For many years we have been watching his show but not anymore. Obama stands for nothing that a christain can or should stand for. Believe me there are more issues in our great country than just money. People keep tallking about change, if obama is elected it might be a change we wish we didn’t have.

Posted by vickie | Report as abusive

To Vickie – Obama wants to help us all, which is the most Christian thing I know. Clearly Mr. Griffith and Mr. Howard see this, I wish more of you could look beyond what you already know and also see it.

Posted by Brian | Report as abusive

I’M REALLY DISAPPOINTED IN THE HOLLYWOOD CROWD FOR PUSHING THEIR IDEAS ON US. WE CAN’T AFFORD TO GO ON NATIONAL TV AND VOICE OUR OPINIONS. JUST ADD THEM TO THE LIST OF WHO TO STEER CLEAR OF IN THE FUTURE.

HOW MANY FOREIGNERS CONTRIBUTED TO OBAMA?

OBAMA HAS SPENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON “LIGHTING” AND “SOUND” AND “BALLOONS” AND “GREEK COLUMNS”!

WHY WASN’T OBAMA VETTED? HE HAS BASED HIS ENTIRE CAMPAIGN ON LIES! HE HAS TOO MANY TIES TO TERRORISTS AND ANTI-AMERICANS (ACORN-VOTER FRAUD, BOMBER AYERS, SLUMLORD REZKO, “GOD DAMN AMERICA” JEREMIAH WRIGHT, FARRAKHAN, HAMAS, PFLEGER, DOHRN, AND MANY MORE).

WHY DOES THE DNC AND MAINSTREAM BIASED MEDIA KEEP COVERING UP HIS MORBID PAST?

HOW MANY FOREIGNERS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO HIS CAMPAIGN?

WHY DID OBAMA GIVE OVER $800,000 TO ACORN TO GET OUT THE VOTE?

HIS KENYAN GRANDMOTHER SAID SHE WAS IN THE DELIVERY ROOM — IN KENYA — WHEN HE WAS BORN. WAS HE BORN IN KENYA? WE WANT TO KNOW BEFORE NOVEMBER 4.

OBAMA WILL “SPREAD THE WEALTH”. HE WILL RAISE TAXES ON HARD-WORKING AMERICANS AND SEND A REFUND CHECK TO NON-WORKING DEADBEATS ON WELFARE.

WHY DID OBAMA LIE ABOUT “PUBLIC FUNDING”?

——————————————————-

I’m voting for the Honorable John McCain! EXPERIENCE DOES MATTER!

Posted by REPLACE DO-NOTHING DEMS IN CONGRESS! | Report as abusive

Ron Howard has his own opinion about the country as does everyone, particularly at this point in time in the U.S. We are in an all-around severe financial crisis with a trillion dollar war going on as the housing market continues to plummet and unemployment continues to rise! Alll of this is predicted to get much worse in 2009! So what if Ron Howard speaks up; isn’t that what American’s do? So what if he is a film director; it’s a job title! Big deal. At least he has some humor dressing up as those characters again, not that it will sway anyone’s minds about the election; it is slightly humorous and definitely very American behavior! Aren’t we lucky we can do that in the U.S.? Everyone relax about it! No matter who becomes president, we are in for VERY stressful times ahead; what’s a little humor! Cheers everyone!

Posted by good day | Report as abusive

I am SHOCKED Andy. And You Call Yourself a Christian.
And for all you who say Obama wants to help us, don’t you mean give us. If u do not earn it, u do not deserve.

Posted by Charla | Report as abusive

I am very dissappointed. I watch reruns of the Andy Griffith show and Happy Days. These shows are based on family values and morales.Obama has no morales. He supports abbortion, and he wants to spread “YOUR WEALTH” around. do you think this is fair to you? That you work hard abd then tax you more and give to those that won’t work. I never respond to this kind of stuff. But this was very upsetting to me and my family that had such great respect for Ron Howard and Andy Grirrith.

Posted by Karen Garrett | Report as abusive

I think that everyone should stop being so narrow-minded! How can you say you are christian and judge so harshly, shame on you. I mean not watching a show because of his own personal opinion that is just childish!

Posted by Lex | Report as abusive

I don’t think I have ever been more disappointed than when Andy decided to endorse a candidate…any candidate. Foolishly, I beleived that he was above partisan politics but I was wrong. Now Sheriff Andy Taylor becomes just another Hollywood actor down in the mud where I guess he belongs.

Posted by charlie | Report as abusive

Let’s all not forget that Ron Howard is an American. An American actor/director. He is in the entertainment business…..BUSINESS. His JOB is making films for our entertainment. He has a right to make a choice of whoever he wants to vote for. He is choosing to vote. He has a right to vote. Just like all of you. So why doesn’t everyone just shut up!

Posted by dayshiftbob | Report as abusive

Some of you people are way too serious about your short inconsequential lives and need to relax and focus on solving our countries problems rather than getting your knickers twisted about a video.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

My late husband died from agent orange related cancers from part of his 26 yrs. 9 mos. and 15 days of service which also included a Distinguished Service Medal for services to NATO. My father was a Silver Star recipient in WWII. I know the Holocost happened. I trasure the Stars and bars and cannot imagine anyone wanting to be President and Commander-in-Chief who cannot salute the flag (as required by law ) and who doesn’t realize that those men in Fort McHenry during the War of 1812 held up the flagpole and flag after a cannon ball severred the flag pole. I am a patriot. My family have been patriots back to the Revolutionary War. I am also part American Indian. I cannot support someone who can’t support our flag, our anthem and appreciate our history. Ron Howard, Andy Griffin and Henry WInkler were considered as All-Americans. I wonder. As to change, consider the following:

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six
the economy was fine.

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;

2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;

3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%.

4) the DOW JONES hit a record high–14,000 +

5) American’s were buying new cars, taking cruises,
vacations overseas, living large!…

BUT American’s wanted ‘CHANGE’! So, in 2006 they voted in a
Democratic Congress and yes–we got ‘CHANGE’ all right. In the PAST YEAR:

1) Consumer confidence has plummeted ;

2) Gasoline has risen to over $4 a gallon!;

3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);

4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12
TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;

5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~

$2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR

STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

YES, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE…AND WE SURE GOT IT! ….

REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT HAS NO CONTROL OVER ANY OF THESE ISSUES,
ONLY CONGRESS.

AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS? ABSOLUTELY
NOTHING.

NOW THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO
REALLY GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS!!!!

JUST HOW MUCH MORE ‘CHANGE’ DO YOU THINK YOU CAN STAND?

Posted by Barbara | Report as abusive

Maybe Obama is dealing with terrorist, maybe he has bad intentions for our country. Well, I want to make the point that the Hard core Right wing Texas Republicans and other republicans too I’m sure, voted for Obama in the primary, to keep Hillary from going against McCain. Another big OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSS SSSSSS! for the Republican party. Guess you thought McCain had a better chance against Obama! Your mistake. Well, I’m an independent that thought Hillary was the best MAN for President. Now Obama is becoming our President like it or not. Apparently our country was already in trouble thanks to our wonderful President Bush. God help us! Which direction shall be go now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Alle | Report as abusive