Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Carrie Underwood disses celeb political endorsements

November 4, 2008

Celebrities have come out in force during the long U.S. presidential race, hosting fundraisers, throwing concerts and performing at campaign rallies around the nation.

But not country star Carrie Underwood.

Unlike Barbra Streisand, who’s been doing a round of last minute radio station Q&As in support of Democrat Barack Obama, Underwood is staying mum.

“I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate,”  the “All-American Girl” singer tells TV Guide in its November 10th issue.

“It’s saying that the American public isn’t smart enough to make their own decisions,” she said.  “I would never want anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to.

“Music is where you go to get away from all the BS.  Whether it’s from politics or just the world around you, music should be an escape,” the former “American Idol” winner said.

We’ve had a lot of competing views on celeb endorsements this election season, but this may be your last chance to speak up during this cycle. How much have celebrity endorsements affected your voting decisions in 2008?

Comments

The whole world knows who Barbra Streisand is – but who the heck is Carries Underwood? I guess she must realize that nobody cares what she thinks or if she “loses respect for someone” because they voice their views. Honestly sweetie, and trust me on this one… many people care about what Barbra Streisand thinks – NOBODY cares about what YOU think.

Posted by Chris Sullivan | Report as abusive

I know who Carrie Underwood and Barbara Streisand are, and Carrie has a right to her opinion just like you and Ms Streisand do. If she loses respect for someone, then she has a right to. She never said they don’t have the right to endorse them, she doesn’t care for it.

Posted by Margaret Slagle | Report as abusive

Easy there Chris… I agree with Ms. Underwood. If you vote for someone because your favorite celeb says to then you are a moron and your voting rights should be taken away. My advise to Barbra and the likes, SHUT UP AND SING! If you want to be a politician, be a politician not a singer.

Posted by Brian | Report as abusive

Thank God somebody in Hollywood (Nashville) has a brain. Good for Carrie!! We’re proud of her!!!

Posted by Jim Letourneau | Report as abusive

Chris,
That’s a pretty interesting comment considering American Idol has set records for total viewers for a TV show.
I can guarantee you walk into a high school, college scene or ask someone under the age of 35 who she is and they will know.
And trust me on this one “sweety”, your wrong on this one.
I also agree with Carrie.

Posted by Charles | Report as abusive

Carrie Underwood is a lot more familiar to me than Barbara Streisand. As far as the whole world knowing Barbara, that’s highly debatable. I haven’t seen or heard anything about her in years. On the other hand, I hear songs by Carrie Uderwood daily.

Posted by David S. | Report as abusive

I agree with Carrie Underwood that entertainers should not force their political views on the watching/listening public. I feel entertainers should do what they do best…ENTERTAIN. If you’re not in the political arena, stay out of it and let the public think for themselves.

Posted by Bob Smith | Report as abusive

Then again those same people who care what Barbara Streisand thinks are known by many names most commonly and often used being sheep. Carrie Underwood has a valid point. I may agree with Barbara Streisand\’s political views, but could care less about them. Count me out as a member of the cult of personality.

Posted by Richard | Report as abusive

I am not sure where you live Chris, but almost everyone in America knows who Carrie Underwood is. Oh, and the rest of the world really does not matter in this election.

She is correct. Celebrity does not equal authority to endorse anything. I have always despised the way we worship celebrities. I do not care what any of them say about anything. I can think for myself

Wow Chris, I am surprised you don’t know who Carrie Underwood is. Anyways, I think it’s nice to see such a celeb taking some responsibility for their influence. It’s her right. You’d have to be pretty ignorant to get behind a candidate just because a certain celeb endorses them.

Posted by jason | Report as abusive

Really, Chris? Some people care what Streisand thinks? Who are these people who care? You’re making the point FOR Carrie Underwood because Carrie herself implied that no one should care what she thinks, just like no one should care what Streisand thinks. I own several Streisand CDs and ZERO Carrie Underwood CDs but that’s because Streisand should stick to singing and leave politics alone. Same for Brad Pitt, Angelina, Leonardo, etc, etc. They are entertainers, so few even graduate high school let alone have any higher education so their opinions have little weight. The consensus here is against you on this day, Sir.

Posted by Cindy | Report as abusive

Celebrities are asked for their opinions, are entitled to freedom of speech and expression. They are asked to support charities,use their fame to help raise monies and so forth.
There lives are under scrutiny and constant exposure. Many of their actions are political or can be interpreted as such. Wearing fur, eating meat are examples.
When celebrities speak out they have a platform which we as a society have given them. So they should take the time to be informed. Those who do educate themselves often become activists and put their own money and time where their mouths are.

Whilst I do not rely on celebrity endorsement to sway my opinion, they are a fact of life. Their celebrity is used for the good of charities and good causes across the globe which are also political in nature. Endorsements are are a way of life and if they did not work they would not be used.

Politicians are no different. They want your endorsements…. your votes!!!!!

And last time I looked most celebrities have the right to vote, canvass for their choice et cetera.

Also it is worth noting, the whole world is watching this election!!!

Posted by Stephen Coleman | Report as abusive

Carrie Underwood is a huge star in America, Canada, and is also well known in Australia. She is a wonderful person and an incredible singer. I for one agree with her wholeheartedly, and I cherish her honesty. I am tired of Hollywood trying to tell me how to vote as if I am some dumb clod, who must follow Brad Pitt or Madonna like a dumb sheep. I have a doctorate, and am probably more informed on the issues then those over-payed celebs, most of whom do not even have a high school diploma. Bravo Carrie, for telling the truth.

Posted by Allison Morgan | Report as abusive

Well! why is everyone so mad @ Chris it’s true you may have not heard of Barbara in yrs.she’s an ICON you don’t have to! Furthermore she sounds dumb she wouldn’t want anyone and I quote”I would never want anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to. Okay what about American Idol? if that’s the case than why did she ask the American people to vote during her stint on there? OH! it’s not the same thing? Sure it is the presidency is a competition (I am only making the comparison as competition only VOTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS)and if you like someone you are going to support them I am an average joe (not the plumber)and I did what I could to encourge people to vote because you are a CELEB you have such a high authority and your not apart of the”AMERICAN PUBLIC” and I quote again“It’s saying that the American public isn’t smart enough to make their own decisions” are you kidding me?! Is she mad that most CELEBS came out in droves to support OBAMA news flash so did everyone in AMERICA that wanted change please but because this is AMERICA everyone is entitled to their opinion dumb or not!

I totally agree with Carrie. What makes a celebrity more knowledgeable about politics than any other person? We all have brains don’t we? Most of us have access to the debates, newspapers, the internet to research the issues and the candidates. It’s fine to have an opinion and state who you support if asked, but a celebrity crosses the line when the y appear in ads or on tv telling you who to vote for. They are rich and famous for being entertainers, not politicians, unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger, ha. It’s just even more depressing to see this done in a low-class fashion sometimes
( case in point, watch the videos below)
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=RxvHkFLmqR k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MQ5-rm8z Xs

Overall, if you agree with the celeb’s views good for you, but vote because of your own views and opnions, not someone elses. You wouldn’t have one of these celebs next to you helping you take a class exam would you? uh no, trust yourself

Posted by Kristin | Report as abusive

sorry the first youtube video link wasn’t working, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxvHkFLmq Rk&feature=related

Posted by Kristin | Report as abusive

Mixed feelings on this one. I have the upmost respect for Carrie Underwood. She’s a college graduate. Has a degree in mass communications w/an emphasis in journalism. Not to mention she graduated magna cum laude. I’m sure she has a political opinion, and it just goes to show you her class and respectablity by not trying to force her opinion on others. I’m sure she discusses these views with her FRIENDS, not her following. She’s intelligent enough to understand people can think for themselves.

I agree w/Mr. Coleman, too. It’s all marketing. There will always be a celebrity endorsing something. Things sell better w/a celebrity backing it….sad but true.

What makes me ill, is when the celebrity is bashing the opponent. Support your candidate, and do what you have to do to see them prevail, you have that right. But be tasteful, and don’t resort to low class. Support your candidate as a citizen, not as a celebrity, b/c when it is all said and done, you are just another person.

Posted by Vanessa | Report as abusive

when hollyweird fawns over something or someone i take forgranted something is bonkers.

every product we buy should have a label on the shelf telling what t.v. programs we are FORCED to subsidize when buying any “judas goat” product. this way we would have an “educated” choice when shopping. if we don’t like slop operas or the evening violence, VOTE by leaving the product on the shelf. that would tell hollyweird what people think of THEM!

when hollyweird finally feels the pinch in their pocket they would stop spreading the icky goo they smear on culture with.

some news people wrongly think they are “the fourth branch of government”. gushing cattie couric could take a serious lesson from carie underwood.

Posted by Terry | Report as abusive

Hello, what happened to the freedom of speech. I’m a fan to both Barbra and Carrie, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t listen to them. You must remember that even celebrities are citizens too and they have every right to speak, just like we do.

Posted by Victor Lee | Report as abusive

I agree with Carrie Underwood. Personally, I don not care what the celebs think. Heck, most of them can’t run their own lives, why should I think they have a clue on how to run a state or our country? I too lose respect for those who try to trade on their self-importance for votes. If you asked most of these celebs they probably do not even know what the constitution says. I don’t care how Carrie voted, I just like her music. That’s her job & she does it really well.

Posted by Diann | Report as abusive

If that’s how she feels,Carrie, really should then shut up herself. I hope the Obamas never invite her to perform at the White House. Ha, ha, would be funny if Jessica Simpson sang for them OFTEN.

Carrie, it’s a called freedom of speech. We have rights to endorse someone who can end this war, and prevent others. Carrie, you sound really clueless. And besides, you are overrated. And Jessica is hotter than you!

Posted by Go Jessica | Report as abusive

Finally — an entertainment personality who “gets it”. Carrie Underwood has hit the nail on the head. I want to be entertained. I don’t want to hear their political points of view. What gives these people the audacity to think they should preach to everyone just because they happen to have an audience? And why do they think they are any more informed about current events than I am? One entertainer in particular who really disturbs me is Chevy Chase. This man has made his living for decades by making us laugh and entertaining us. Now he has turned absolutely nasty and vindictive. I actually saw a video where he said that he wanted Sarah Palin “decimated”. Statements such as that are absolutely inappropriate — and hateful. So — entertainers — please do as Carrie says. Sing to us — act for us — make us laugh — let us escape. But keep your political views to yourself !!!

Posted by Brenda | Report as abusive

carrie did a commercial in which she sang a part of her “american girl” song to a pony. (dont remember the product)…don’t you think this is kinda the same thing…she is promoting a product that she herself might not even like but she does it for the money..the only difference is she gets paid to endorse and celebrities endorsing obama or whomever the damn well pleased didn’t!!! i used to like her, but now i think she is a hypocrit…

Posted by Alejandra | Report as abusive

and i guess Carrie wearing a t-shirt for any type of charity is ok? don’t get me wrong. i think any celebrity that uses their popularity for any good doing is great!!! but who does she think she is to make statements like that? she supports peta and nobody judges her for that! what is wrong w/ celebrities supporting the president that they feel will actually change this country around and get us back where we used to be?she she is a great singer and a really cute girl but i think she tries to play sweet country girl who can never say or do anything wrong and it’s getting old…

Posted by Alejandra | Report as abusive