Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Jessica Simpson goes back to religious roots?

December 3, 2008

(Writing and reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis)

Singer Jessica Simpson is going back to her roots, in more ways than one.

Having recently re-invented herself as a country music, rather than a pop, star,  the blond, Texas-born daughter of a church minister says she now wants to study religion.

“I’ve been contemplating taking a college course in religion,” Simpson told Marie Claire magazine in an interview.  “I love religion. I remember whenever the book ‘The Da Vinci Code’ came out, the Discovery Channel did this three-night piece on it that I TiVoed and then watched eight times.”

Simpson, 28, started singing in the choir of her Baptist church but later became a teen pop star  in the mode of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.  A strong Christian, she wore a purity ring and said she had remained a virgin until her short-lived marriage in 2002 to boyband singer Nick Lachey.

Simpson later branched out into acting, appearing in the 2005 movie “The Dukes of Hazard”.  But in September she released a country music album that went to the top of the Billboard country music charts, giving Simpson her first No 1album.

Comments

First of all, Jessica Simpson is not intelligent enough to sit in a classroom with Theology Majors. Once again Chestica will say anything and do anything for publicity. Anyone with brains knows the entire Simpson Family is full of lies and hot air. I think the only reason why Tony Romo puts up with this hasbeen is because he has been hit in the head by to many football players. Second, If Jessica wants to learn more about theology, she needs to read the book ” Religion for Dummies”

Posted by Crystal | Report as abusive

God bless America and freedom of speech and the internet, but it is too bad that it means we have to put up with infantile rants like the one posted by Crystal. I’m sure she felt better about herself because she could bash on someone without being identified or held accountable for anything resembling truth or rationality. Too bad she couldn’t just do it in private and spare us. :(

Bless Jessica Simpson for trying to find herself and exploring things that will help her move down her path.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

Good for Jessica. By her being a Christian, I’d encourage her get back into God’s Word – the Bible – instead of taking some half-hearted and misinformed college course. There’s alot of inaccurate information being taught in college classrooms about religion. (But that’s a subject for another day).

Nonetheless, good for her.

Posted by MJ | Report as abusive

Crystal, how can you say if she is intelligent or not, you don’t even know her. How would you feel if someone you don’t know said that of you.

Posted by Connie | Report as abusive

Well, glad to know, but in order to move to GOD you first need to change your life style. Don’t wanna say anymore.

Posted by Bobby Victor Thomas | Report as abusive

I agree with David…why put someone down for wanting to acheive and believe in something. There is so little of it these days. Crystal is so judgemental..she just knows what she sees and hears…or does she know Jessica personally..doubtful. Go for it Jessica..whatever makes you happy!

I certainly hope she is not planning on wearing her normal low cut shirts to her class. I hope she will have some respect for the subject. The way she displays herself and jumps from man to man makes me think she needs some religion in her life. Perhaps being a better example for young girls would be a start of living a spiritual life.

Posted by Coloradogirl | Report as abusive

This is my opinion and if you people don’t like it than turn your computers off. You people are now judging me which makes you all the worlds biggest hippocrites. I have yet to hear any truth out of the simpson family.
she changes her story from one story to the next. and last time I checked, good christians don’t open up their blouses for the whole world to take a peak. We need more cover stories on jessica like we need apertures in our cranial cavities. I doubt you people know what that means, including jessica. If you like talentless hasbeens, more power to you, but I don’t, and I have every right to blog that.

Posted by Crystal | Report as abusive

Jessica will never take a course in theology. Saying it and actually doing it are two different concepts. Jessica will say anything in a magazine article whether it is true or not. She will say anything for publicity. if she sits in a college classroom, hell will freeze over

Posted by alice | Report as abusive

That is great as long as she returns to her religious convictions too.