Entertainment behind the scenes
A new rule, but no salvation for Jasmine and Jorge on “Idol”
“American Idol” unveiled a bold format change on Wednesday night, allowing the show’s four judges to “save” a worthy contestant from elimination once this season, potentially altering the singing competition’s final outcome.
The change marks a major shift for “Idol,” which has always allowed viewers to vote by phone and text message for who will stay. The idea, host Ryan Seacrest said, is to prevent shocker rejections such as when Chris Daughtry, now one of “Idol’s” most successful alumni, came in fourth place during the show’s fifth season.
But despite a rule change that promises to change the course of one lucky contestant’s “Idol” run, the judges declined to wield their new power on Wednesday night, allowing Jasmine Murray and Jorge Nunez to be the first victims among the show’s Top 13 singers.
“Sorry, baby, you’re headed home,” Judge Randy Jackson said to a tearful Murray after the judges deliberated on whether to save her.
On Tuesday, a night when contestants performed songs from the Michael Jackson catalogue, Murray, a 17-year-old from Starkville, Mississippi, underwhelmed the judges with her rendition of “I’ll Be There.” Puerto Rico’s Nunez, 21, also received low marks for his version of “Never Can Say Goodbye.”
Neither performance received the unanimous panning of Anoop Desai’s take on “Beat It.” Nevertheless, “Idol” viewers granted Desai’s wish to come back and show the judges his stuff once again. Lucky for “Anoop Dogg,” too, as it’s safe to say that if he had been voted down, the judges wouldn’t have saved him.
So who would the judges save? And is this new rule change fair?