Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

“Idol” reject Scott MacIntyre thrilled by near save

April 9, 2009

For eliminated “American Idol” contestant Scott MacIntyre, just coming close to being saved was a victory on Wednesday night.scott-macintyre

“I was actually thrilled that it was a split decision between the four judges, and that was something very nice to walk away knowing,” MacIntyre said in a conference call with reporters on Thursday.

MacIntyre, 23, a blind singer and pianist, came close to being saved by the judges after he lost the “Idol” viewer-vote count. The judges must vote unanimously to save a contestant, and just two judges were ready to use the panel’s one-time-only save on MacIntyre.

MacIntyre described this year’s Idol contestants as particularly friendly with each other.

“I’m going to miss the camaraderie, I’m going to miss how we all make fun of each other before the show starts, I’m going to miss having dinner when people leave and wishing them well,” MacIntyre said. “Even though we’re competing, we have so much fun even the second before we walk on stage, it’s amazing.”

Like some other eliminated “Idol” contestants, MacIntyre said he has written many songs that he hopes to share with his fans, and that he looks forward to joining the ”Idol” Top 10 on tour.

MacIntyre was born in California and spent part of his childhood in Toronto, Canada, where he studied at the Royal Conservatory of Music, before his family moved to Arizona, where he lives now. He also obtained a master’s degree at the Royal College of Music and Royal Holloway University of London.

“I’m kind of the academic gone pop star in the competition,” MacIntyre joked.

To be fair, contestant Anoop Desai is a graduate student in cultural anthropology at the University of North Carolina. It’s tough to be an academic on “Idol” though. Both MacIntyre and Desai were in the Bottom Three on Wednesday night, a position that each contestant had been in before.

Comments

I love Scott’s music, and look forward to more from him in the future.Let Idol be your stepping stone. Continue with your dream. You’ll continue to have my vote, whether it’s on Idol, or when I purchase your music. You are the kind of man that Americans SHOULD be looking up to for inspiration. I applaude you, Scott.

Posted by Lisa | Report as abusive

Scott, u dont need all this ,u have made me love music more than i ever have and i cried to see u go and im only 12 i promise u ,u have more talent than any singing competition existing much more talent and u deserve so much more!!Love uChloe

Posted by Chloe | Report as abusive

I think that Anoop should have went home because Scott, in my opinion is a better singer and has a better personality. I love Scott, and I will always root for him no matter what he might be doing. Don’t stop Scott!

Posted by Melanie | Report as abusive

Scott, you are the best and I admire your talent and your courage. I sincerely hope that you will continue on with your music. You deserve the best because that is exactly what you are. You have come a long way and are really more outstanding than the other contestants because of what you have overcome. Good luck to you and God bless.

Posted by becky | Report as abusive

Scott, I never cried when a contestant left Idol, but I cried when you left. You lit up the stage with your presence. I loved watching you in the Ford videos. You never let anything get in your way. Bravo! I will miss you; your pure voice, your piano. (By the way, congrats on sinking the basketball.) You are an inspiration to so many people. You have so many positive qualities, and you shine! I look forward to your cd’s!!!!

Posted by Betty | Report as abusive

Scott i craied so much i had to be taken out of school. I hope to see your face more often!Your Wild Angel.

Posted by Chloe H | Report as abusive

Scott no doubt in my mind you will go far. You are sweet, talented, wonderful man full of promise and God’s love.

Posted by Shelly | Report as abusive

I thought Scott was pretty good but there’s only going to be one winner. Adam is far and away the most awesome talent on the show this year. Scott didn’t have a chance against someone like him!

SCOTT:You are such a talented musician with unbelievable achievement.Sad to see you leave the stage but happy to know you have more time to pursue your career.Your days will come and shine not only as American Idol but as the best musician in America. You are a lighthouse that brings hope to many people who has no confident in themself.You always LOOK UP and isnpired others by your optimisim. Keep up with your good work and GOD BLESS YOU to reach the summit of your dreams.Looking forward to see you on TOP OF THE WORLD…..

Posted by apple | Report as abusive

i agree. anoop should have been eliminated instead. he’s bland

Posted by mulch | Report as abusive

When Simon said “Scott it’s the end of the road 4 u.” I started crying because Scott is an inspration 4 every1 in the world and he maybe wasnt the best singer ever, but he had a good voice and he is going 2 be more famous even if he isn’t on American Idol because he was the first blind contestant on there so I wish luck 2 him:)Love U SCOTT!!

Posted by Rebecca | Report as abusive

Scott was my absolute favorite. I’ve never watched Idol much before, but I became an avid fan this year. His music is beautiful, his personality shined above all others on this season, and his presence brought the Idol show to a higher level of “reality”…in the good sense. I will buy anything he records, and I’m afraid I won’t be watching idol any more this season. I cried when he was voted off, but I had friends that cried so hard the whole night, their eyes were puffy the whole next day. I don’t think other contestants have brought about that kind of response from the viewing audience…

Posted by Sandy | Report as abusive

Scott was by far my favorite contestant. He was very talented and actually had a personality. The other contestants are bland and thus I am not even bothering to turn my channel to fox on Tuesdays and Wednesdays anymore.This season sucks, especially since Scott is gone.

Posted by Lisa I | Report as abusive

i was very moved by scott since the very beginning that i saw him in american idol. from then on i had watch him go thru the contest until that day last week. i was very sad but he had made a very strong impact on the audience and gave hope to people with disabilities. i admire your talents and your personality. i do work with a lot a blind patients in the hospital and for sure i will make you an example to the tons of patients that lost their eyesight in one way or the other esp. for trauma victims that are young people like you. stay in the limelight, we need good idols to serve as an inspiration in this world.. god bless

Posted by nimfa | Report as abusive