Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

“Twilight” idol Pattinson says he’s a “paranoid wreck”

April 22, 2009

Change isn’t always good.

pattinson1

Especially if you’re Robert Pattinson, the former model who has catapulted to teen idol status courtesy of blockbuster vampire movie “Twilight.”

Pattinson, now filming the sequel “New Moon”, says his sudden fame has made him a “paranoid wreck” in terms of his friendships.

“I’m always really worried about ruining (friends) lives. Especially with people that aren’t famous. It’s such a massive change. I’m kind of a paranoid wreck. I’ve eaten a lot of room service,” Pattinson told Entertainment Tonight, in on-set interviews to start airing on the celebrity television program on Thursday.

The assistants, security and other hordes that come with sudden fame are also proving hard to get used to. “Now it’s funny, you can’t even get through to people on the phone. They won’t even let you ring people up. I can’t even ring down to reception and say let (visitors) up. I have to literally go down and carry them,” he said.

But Pattinson said it feels “suprisingly natural” to play lovestruck vampire Edward Cullen again, and he promises fans they will see plenty of him in the movie sequel, even though his character in the Stephenie Meyer book is mostly absent from the story.

“(In the film) it’s an illusion when he (Edward) appears. I think if you do it with voiceover as they do in the book, it would end up being quite cheesy. But it’s very subtle, my presence,” Pattinson said.

Comments

It is amazing how quickly his fame took off – we put these actors on such pedestals and invade so much of their privacy it is mind-boggling. One would hope that he will emerge a stronger actor who will not be type-cast and able to eventually hang in public with his friends at his side. Although I enjoy the Twilight series and he is handsome, I look forward to his next roles and hopefully more music.

Posted by Chris Lyle | Report as abusive

Leave him alone. Has everyone gone mad?
He has a right to his life dispite his ongoing fame.
He’s an artist and if the world wants him to improve as one they will have to give him space to do it.

Posted by mary reeder | Report as abusive

Poor Rob! Anyways, Rob, you are destined to be a famous star. You will go a long way. So just relax and enjoy your status. Millions of struggling actors would do anything to have yours, so count yourself still lucky. Just keep your old friends that you can trust, those who were always there even before your fame. Get guidance from your family, you will need it. Yes, fame has big responsibilities attached to it. But you are a smart guy, as you get by, each day, you will realize that you have made wise decisions. Obstacles are normal, you can handle them. Just remember, do not do drugs. Never allow anybody to talk you out into taking this and that pill. Take care of yourself and be grounded and hilarious as you are. You have a gift in the arts… make the most of it by sharing it to other people. They are there who genuinely believes in you, like I do. Take good care of yourself Rob. Hope to get to talk to you soon.

Posted by Kaye | Report as abusive

Poor Robert, I feel so bad for this guy… being some what shy myself I can’t even imagine the way he feels. Their are so many fake ppl in the world that just want to be associated with someone with fame it must be difficult for any person in his situation. Not knowing who you can really trust, then there are your life friends and being a true hearted individual he most likely doesn’t want to cause them any drama in their lives. It must be lonely being Mr. Pattinson right now. Surrounded by a thousand ppl and feeling like your the only one in the world. Sucks. Hopefully after all this Twilight drama he can get back to normal or some version of normal. He can always come to Oklahoma….lol

Posted by Catherine | Report as abusive

I feel sorry for him, the stress of it all must be very difficult. I can barely manage the stress of the day, so I can’t imagine what he must be going through. I hope he gets a long vacation/holiday after filming this.

Posted by Emrae Degrah | Report as abusive

“Oh Rob i feel real sorry for you, and i really mean that”. It can’t be easy at all to be in his shoes. Poor dude, i just hope all this hype will blow over one day and he can finally be treated like a normal human being, with the respect and privacy one deserves.

I wish i could meet him and just give him a hug:) no screaming, no fainting, no crying,no pictures just a hug and a smile with a huge “thank you” in return.

Posted by liz | Report as abusive

this makes me sad,this poor guy, he is so normal now, how is he spose to stay that way if these stalking crazy fans keep it up? i love him just like the next person but i still believe he deserves to be able to enjoy this time in his life. Please you crazy fans out there stand back and take a look at yourselves and what you must look like to him?? seriously if you looked at the bigger picture youd be embarrassed of what you guys portray…..i hope he learns to cope soon…cause i doubt the selfish little ankle biters wont back off…

Posted by kerry | Report as abusive

Sounds crazy and frightening. I hope he can enjoy the beauty of Vancouver a little bit.

Posted by Betty Blue | Report as abusive

His fame is unbelivable!!!! seriously! I do get the whole “paranoid wreck’ thing. I mean , last year at this time, he was almost unknown and today the entire nation, sorry I mean the entire WORLD is mad about him!!! I have never seen someone reach the level of fame he has in such a short period of time…

Posted by anna margot | Report as abusive

I feel real sorry for him, and i really mean that. It can’t be easy at all to be in his shoes. I hope that once all the hype is over with that he can be treated like any other human being with respect and privacy one deserves.

I wish i could meet him and give him a hug. No screaming, no fainting, no crying, no pictures, just a hug and a smile….

Posted by liz | Report as abusive

I wish people would atleast give him the space to lead a slightly normal life, he seems like a very nice and humble person, he has the right to his privacy and life. I greatly enjoy his work, but he deserves his space.

Posted by Owl | Report as abusive

Eventhough I am absolutely in love with the character Robert Pattinson portrays, I would never violate his personal space or privacy. If I were to see a celebrity on the street, I would simply smile and give a nod, respecting their space. What people need to realize is that’s a person, a human being with feelings, concerns, ect. They bring so much to our lives that we need to respect their space; respect their work on screen and respect their lives off screen. They are just as human as the rest of us.

Posted by Brooke Bell | Report as abusive

i love the twilight saga, i’m a big fan of the series. big of of Robert Pattison as Edward Cullen. if you want to know more about his character come to twilightjournal.com

This kind of news disturbs me to a certain extent. I mean, do you have millions of people bombarding you every time you step out of the door; criticizing every shoe, every piece of clothing you wear and the very way you step when you walk? No… and you shouldn’t, and neither should Robert Pattinson. It makes sense that he stays out of the limelight as much as possible nowadays…

One last thing… I love the way that when Robert Pattinson was in Harry Potter, no one paid much attention to him, but as soon as he was associated with Edward Cullen, he can’t even get a minute to himself. As a huge fan of both Harry Potter and Twilight, I can appreciate his acting skills (acting being the operative word) and the expression in his music, and not just his good looks.

Posted by Krusheeta | Report as abusive

I think that Rob being cast as Edward Cullen was one of those once in a lifetime movie magic moments. It is a match made in casting heaven. I also like to see Rob out and about and with the people, he is a normal down to earth guy and will be so reliant on people like Sam Bradley and Kristen Stewart to help him make the adjustment, Kristen is a pro at this and is also going through a similar adjustment. They are both level headed intelligent people and they should use their fame wisely and use it to draw attention to other things that do matter in the world.

Nikki6

Posted by Nikki6 | Report as abusive

I hope Robert Pattinson be a stronge person to take all that the new life is giving him. I hope he can enjoy life and dont let anything change the way he is . The most importan to be a happy person. Best for you Robert.

Posted by Myriam | Report as abusive

Most introverts don’t like the spotlight, yet most introverts are the best artists. I can’t begin to understand him or his emotions as I can only read what the tabloids writes. I hope his true friends can support him and I hope his fans can give him or anyone for that matter the space he needs. Even the most extroverted people need alone time, to take a stroll in the sunlight and be alone with ones self.

i like the vibe in this room about him. I don’t know him, but I also looked up “How to be” with him, in his real accent and it reminds me a guy i knew in San Diego. Chokin’ on the dust sounds like i’d like to check out the soundtrack. It amazes me how blessed we all are, and him as well to have such a prism of talents…modelling and looks certainly, but his personality seems cool and real, and i bet he likes just sitting at a pub nearby. I guess if we looked around we have hidden robert pattinsons all around us, all we have to do is look and listen. The music is heartened as well, like real soul. Have a great day everyone with peace. Cam

Robert Pattinson was phenomenal in his portrayal of Edward Cullen, but he’s not Edward…To me, that’s the problem. We get so caught up in who he portrayed that we forget that he’s an actor, playing a part. We so want to connect with this gorgeous character (Edward), who is devoted and adoring and constant, that we hound the actor who plays him.

My advice would be to pull a Johnny Depp and spend your time in Europe someplace where the mania won’t make you crazy.

Posted by Sherri Louis | Report as abusive

I hope he hangs in there. He is a very promising actor. Not only do I enjoy his acting, I also enjoy his music and sense of humor!

People, leave him alone and let him do his work! Do people chase after bankers and secretaries, screaming at them and taking pictures of them? No! Stop being ridiculous!

Rob, if you read this: keep up the great work! Don’t let all this get you down. There are lots of normal people out here who enjoy your craft. :-)

Besides, when my own novel goes to film, I hope to cast you in a leading role! :-)

~Belle

Posted by Belle | Report as abusive

I hope Rob is able to seek and maintain a healthy way to cope with the constant pressure, intrusion, and mobbings of the media and his fans as well as the ugly comments of jealous soul-suckers. I have noticed in recent photos that his handsome smiling face and eyes have become tense and guarded. I’m sure his friends and family know he needs them and are willing to be there for him no matter what. Stay strong, Rob. Please stay the playful, wonderful, unaffected, and inspiring man that you are. I love your interviews. You are so expressive and endearing that you captivate people.

I think its ridiculous the way people end up feeling sorry for these actors who fuss over their fame. For one, this is their chosen career. They could’ve been anything, that would have allowed a more unrestrained lifestyle. It was his choice.
In my personal opinion, an actor is really just a person who is good at pretending to be somebody else. Those who really deserve to make millions, and have their face in magazines are those who make a REAL difference like those who save lives, or make discoveries. They should be the names everyone remembers, not someone who is good at playing Edward Cullen. Really ladies, there are other actors who could have wowed us with the charm of the desirable, perfect Edward Cullen. Just a thought, when one, you feel sorry for him, and two, when you waste your time drooling over him, (because im fairly certain for the most part is is as a result of his character)

Posted by Megan | Report as abusive

We have read all four books, bought the first movie and look forward to the others…You are a great actor! The northern girls of Michigan are watching you! Where have you been hiding?

Posted by Lisa | Report as abusive

I’m a mom in my thirties who became a Twilight fan through my teen daughter. AS a mom, I feel for Rob. I bet he would love for his fans to let him feel safe and have some peace and quiet.

He’s an actor, NOT the vampire. Just like Captain Jack Sparrow….LET IT GO! I’ll be glad when his movie Little Ashes comes out where he plays a homesexual and does sex scenes with men! Maybe THEN will you lonely hearts let him live and grow away from being typecasted. Besides, when Taylor Lautner steps out of the shadows in New Moon…mmmmmm yummy. I bet we will all have a new fantasy. HA! HA!

Posted by Christie Spencer | Report as abusive

i agree people should not be chasing him around like crazys.he is such a sweetheart with such a cute little personality.i absoluty adore him his work his music and of corse how hot he is lol

Posted by becky | Report as abusive

You can pull this off, Robert. Your friends and family are there for you.

Kick your shoes off, grab your guitar and play a song you haven’t quite finished yet.

Posted by Jennifer M | Report as abusive

I was pleased to read the comments made by people about Rob. It restores my faith in humankind. If you read this Rob, please remember that you are being appreciated not only because you are blessed with good looks but because of what you bring to your portrayal of Edward Cullen. Simply put, you nailed the character showing his strength and his vulnerability. You captured Edward’s human side which makes him so likeableand you portray him with class and dignity. I hope you have a long and interesting career in films, music or whatever you choose and I look forward to watching you grow. Be good.

Posted by Diane | Report as abusive

LEAVE HIM ALONE! He’s so hot. Just let him be and enjoy the fame. These crazy people are ruining the fun. Let Edward be! I luv him <3

Posted by Dani Mus | Report as abusive

People going into the entertainment industry must be aware of what will happen if they are successful. Certainly in Robert Pattinson’s case, it has been almost an ‘overnight’ change from regular guy to papparazi target. He seems quite level headed and hopefully he will weather this change. I think he has quite a long career ahead of him.

Posted by Jeanne | Report as abusive

I love the comments here! Rob – keep up the good work. You are beautiful and very talented. Please don’t change and stay the playfull, funny, goofy good person that you seem to be in your interviews. Love yah!

Posted by Celia | Report as abusive

Hmmm.I hope his mental health improves some what…it’s not fun being a paranoid wreak. I really hope he can get used to his new life and accept the changes. He’s super talented and I hope Rob doesn’t stop acting. Can’t wait to see his movie How To Be, and I’d be lying if I said I don’t watch Twilight every night, but that’s because I’m a fan of the books…really obsessive-type of fan. D:

Posted by ashley.cullen | Report as abusive

“You know I FELL SORRY for him cause he Is only HUMAN and he can’t do nothing with out PEOPLE takin PICS and SCREAMING at him.” I love Twilight tooo If I saw him on the street I would not asking him NOTHING It would be just like any other person.

Posted by Leigh | Report as abusive

Hey Rob, I am so sorry you are going through all this.You are so talented at what you do, its expected to happen sooner or later. I really hope you get some peace and quiet soon. Stay just the way you are!

Posted by Yolie | Report as abusive

This is why i’m glad he’s able to go home to London while he’s on break from filming. People don’t seem to bother him near as much there as they do in the US & Canada. I hope he can take some time off when he’s done filming New Moon. He’ll will need some nice relaxation before going back in August to film Eclipse.

Posted by Dawn | Report as abusive

Mr Pattinson, Helpful tips. Secret passwords or names for you and your close mates. Change them often , especially for a new hotel or location. Use your alias for room service/phonecalls. Have two mobile phones and computers. Useful to have your own driver 24/7 for each country you’re in, build up a loyal relationship.
Sounds like you have no girl/man Friday , a special PA. Get one quick because the media industry vampire is devouring you ! If you want acting , music and a life,make
your own plan. Don’t rely totally on managemeant , they just handle ‘the product’.
Don’t make yourself so available always, fans will appreciate you more for your apparent rarity. Find your own hideaway , a sanctuary. Become involved in a good cause or charity as you have immense media power right now. You are making $$$$ for lots of people who should be helping you deal with all this , start demanding!

Posted by Dianna | Report as abusive

Mr Pattinson ,
PS . Get the film costume department to give you a disguise , some type of clothing
you would not normally wear. Just think about it, it’s fun to do ! And I know this works
because I’ve arranged this many times for “certain ” people !

Posted by Dianna | Report as abusive

It would be nice if all the fans would get a grip. Let them make the movie so we can all enjoy it by November!

Posted by Trish | Report as abusive

I believe this young man has a good support system: parents, siblings, manager, to pay attention to him. I can still remember the loss of River Phoenix. He got fame hard and fast like this kid and similarly appeared uncomfortable by the intrusion. I hope he can keep his bearings, or he better find a new career. Hollywood is NOT for the shy and introverted. I wish him luck navigating the waters.

Posted by Heidi | Report as abusive

I am so glad the comments here are all so positive and intuitive. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve seen anything like it. Right now Mr. Pattinson seems to be handling his new found fame with great finesse and maturity and that is also very nice to see in one so young. Everyone forgets how young all these actors are and the stress that they are under. It’s a nice change from seeing young people who have all the opportunities in the world and just wasting them. This young man’s career is just starting to take off and seems to be going in the right direction with great roles coming his way. The masses should just let him live his life and enjoy any successes that he will have.

Posted by SuzyQ | Report as abusive

I don’t normally write letters about actors but I feel compelled to comment on Rob Pattinson. My friend dragged me to see Twilight and I was entertained and saw something in Rob that impressed me. He alone took the film from being a “teen” vehicle to one of depth. I bought and read all the books after that to better know the back story. I’ve seen interviews with him and again am impressed with how down to earth he is.
Living in a goldfish bowl can’t be fun and games but,it comes with the lifestyle he’s in now. How fortunate he is to command the scripts he’s going to be offered, not to mention the compensation. My advice is to relax and go with the flow. You’re only young once and it’s fleeting. How nice to have so much going for you via music and acting. Cheers to you Rob!

It has be extremely stressful to be constantly under scrutiny, and the personal attacks and unforgivable speculation about his personal life are appalling. Mr. Pattinson seems like a decent and down-to-earth individual who will hopefully be able to keep all this nonsense in perspective. It is just unfortunate that this is the price he has to pay for wanting to excel at his craft as an actor.

Posted by Isabel | Report as abusive

Hey Rob, I wish you the best in your acting journey. Your music is awesome…I’m sure you find refuge in it. Seek wisdom from within yourself to guide you with your friendship’s and I’m sure you’ll find the peace of mind you are so entitled to. Don’t let the acting change you…You change the acting :)

Posted by Patty | Report as abusive

I think fans need to stop acting like stalking psycho-maniacs! We all want to see him succeed, do well and hopefully stay in the industry of acting and/or music. But, other than the millions of dollars he’s making, why on earth would he want to continue a career that makes him not even able to function? I think his ‘psycho’ fans are scaring him away and could be hurting his ability to function artistically which would be, in the end, a detriment to fans themselves. Leave the guy alone! If you are a fan and reading this, buy his stuff…DON’T STALK HIM!!!

Posted by Jessica | Report as abusive

First off I feel weird leaving a comment for someone who is probley not gonna read it but here it goes. First off, Rob be more assertive. If someone asks you something that your not comfy with tell them you dont comment on your personal life. Its easy to tell when you dont really wanna answer a question. You play with your hair(so do i when i’m nervous). I’m sure it seems like the more you give the more they will take. Its ok not to give everything. I’m sure your fans will understand. Your a great actor and gave life to the Edward charactor. Keep it up..

Posted by Crystal | Report as abusive

Wow…..! I’m new to ‘Google-ing’ anybody other than myself (ha,ha). The intensity of the fans and paparazzi(I have no clue how to spell this) following Rob Pattinson is making me feel guilty for giving in to my urge! I’m a huge fan of the books-lost serious amounts of sleep reading them. When I saw the movie, I had never heard of Rob Pattinson. This was perfect casting! I can hardly wait for the other movies. After seeing some interviews with Rob, I told my friends “I think I love this man!” – Sorry-this includes the footage I’ve seen on the internet(I feel strangely dirty). I’m so impressed with what I’ve seen and heard, and of course, like every other fan of his, It would make me immensely happy to meet him for an hour or a day.. ;) Not realistic to put this on a bucket list, but maybe I could make this my last wish if I’m diagnosed with a terminal illness!? Ya, I know. I guess I’ll have to settle for being happy just knowing that he exists. :) Please stay safe Rob, if you’re reading this, and keep a paper bag handy for the hyperventilating.

Posted by Sandi | Report as abusive

I feel for Mr. Pattinson and the other cast members of the Twilight Saga. I love the books as much as the next person and cannot wait for the new movie, but I can’t believe this obsession people have. There are hundreds of news articles daily about these young stars. It seems a little intrusive at times. The constant speculation over who is dating who is a little much. I hope for the sakes of all the cast members that this mania dies down soon so they are able to lead some type of a normal life. I couldn’t imagine having people in my face continously competing for my attention. It must be completely overwhelming. I wish all the cast the best of luck in all that they do and I hope they are able to achieve some normalcy in their lives soon.

Posted by Phelicia | Report as abusive

Robert Pattinson is such a brilliant actor, so involved in his chracters that he plays, being able to portray them with excellance. His acting ability goes way beyond playing Edward Cullan, although I don’t think they could have cast a more perfect fit. I’m so sick of reading about him only being in Harry Potter or Twilight, he’s done other films. I’ve been lucky enough to see The Haunted Airman and fell in love with Rob’s protrayal of Toby Jugg. These so called fans need to back off, give the guy some room to breathe, I would hate to see him totally disappear, be driven into hiding. We need someone of his talent to entertain us and in turn we need to show the guy some respect, enjoy his work, but repect above all.

Posted by Holly Pasierb | Report as abusive

He needs to talk with someone older who’s gone through this? Someone who managed to make it through without becoming a drug addicted loser…a mentor who could offer a little advice…it would just be hard to keep your wits about you with all the excess…

he’s miles ahead of a number of successful young people since he does appear to have a supportive family…..he’s just really likable ..it makes you want the best for him.

Posted by Mia | Report as abusive

Wow Rob! You have some great advise here from fans who really care about you, my favorite was from Dianna! Hang in there, this too shall pass, just ask Leo!
(((((hugs)))))