Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Miss California pageant targeted by gay, anti-gay forces

May 1, 2009

carrie-prejeanIn a sign of how controversial Miss California’s campaign against gay marriage has become, the organizers of the Miss California pageant say they have been targeted from both gay rights advocates and foes of same-sex unions, with the former slamming them for not denouncing their tiara-holder Carrie Prejean more forcefully and the latter targeting them for distancing themselves from the comments at all.

“We’ve gotten it from both sides,” the openly gay Keith Lewis, co-executive director of the Miss California pageant, told Reuters.

Organizers of the Miss California pageant are likely to have their phone ringing even more now, after Lewis went on CBS program “The Early Show” on Friday and said that before the Miss USA pageant, in which Prejean finished second, his group helped her get breast implants in an attempt to propel her to the Miss USA crown, as had been reported earlier this week.

“The Early Show” co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez asked Lewis, “Can you settle this once and for all? Did you pay for or help pay for Miss California’s breast implants?”

“We assisted when Carrie came to us and voiced the interest in having the procedure done, yes,” Lewis responded.breast

Lewis had previously told Reuters that his group only supported Prejean’s decision to have the surgery, and he would not say who paid for it.

Regardless of who paid, the fact that Lewis and model Shanna Moakler, co-executive director of Miss California, have talked about Prejean’s surgery on TV points to how much of a rift has emerged between them and Miss California, after she said in response to a question during the Miss USA pageant that she did not agree with gay marriage. The Miss California pageant organizers have also criticized Prejean’s comments in media statements, but they have stopped short of saying they would strip her of her Miss California crown.

Still, the rebuke that the 21-year-old Prejean has received from the pageant backers pales in comparison to what gay celebrity blogger Perez Hilton said about her. It was Hilton, who as a judge at the Miss USA pageant, asked Prejean the question about gay marriage that has made her a hero to many conservatives, and the scorn of gay rights advocates. Afterward, he said in a video blog that if Prejean had been named Miss USA, he would have leapt on stage and ripped the tiara from her head. Those comments even prompted a Miami drag queen to denounce Hilton.

gay-marriageHilton said he believes that Prejean will capitalize on the controversy, the way some celebrities he follows on his blog have done.

“She’ll probably cash in on this and charge a lot of money to go on the lecture circuit, might possibly write a book and may possibly use that money to get even bigger breast implants than the ones she already has,” Hilton told Reuters.

Prejean announced this week that she will star in a TV ad campaign from the National Organization for Marriage, aimed at convincing voters in states where gay marriage could soon become legal that they should speak out against it. The ads will air in New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and elsewhere.

So in light of the flare-up over Prejean’s comments, it’s worth finding out who she is.

Raised about 10 miles from the coast in the largely conservative town of Vista, California, Prejean is a student at San Diego Christian College, an evangelical school, where she is studying special education, her spokeswoman Melany Ethridge said. For now, her plans are to continue with college, Ethridge said.

Ethridge said that Prejean was not available for an interview.

Last weekend, Prejean received a hero’s welcome when she returned to her mega-church, The Rock.

Lewis told Reuters that he has always known Prejean to be friendly to gays like himself, and that he believes she has more liberal views about gays apart from the gay marriage issue, which he disagrees with her about.

“I would be excited when people really start to flesh out how she feels about civil unions and about civil rights and about a lot of the other issues,” Lewis said.

Some good has come out of the controversy for Lewis. He said that more women than ever before are applying to try out for Miss California this year, with some wanting to promote gay marriage and others wanting to denounce it.

Given that beauty pageants often feature nothing but platitudes, maybe it’s a good thing that this year’s Miss USA has sparked a debate, instead of more empty calls for “world peace.”

Comments

Way back when it was “Don’t ask, don’t tell” and “What gays do behind closed doors is their business.” Now, you gays are trying to push your perverse lifestyle into the faces of heterosexual (normal) people and wanting it to be accepted as a normal way of life. Call me a bigot? I think not! I am true to myself when I state in my opinion that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman just the way it was intended. A man and a man/woman and woman cannot produce a baby naturally. This is the law of nature Ray, don’t you get it? Gay is not normal. Yes, you might be able to do your job, drive a car and even make change at the cash register but the whole essence of life is to live and to reproduce to keep the human life going.
In my opinion, gays have an identity crisis. For a man who is gay, they want to look like a man, dress like a man, do men things, but be a woman in the bedroom. That’s not normal. Maybe its a defect in the DNA?

So I say once again in my opinion, marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman because they can produce a child. Gays cannot…so therefore it is not valid.

I don’t have to tell you more about me because I choose not to. Its not that I’m afraid to, its just a choice.

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

Hopefully you can rebuild your relationship with your family and your mother will have peace of mind knowing that the “phase” is over.

Once again, I hope that you will go back to straight, Ray.

Have a nice, straight life!

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

To bby_70:

What I do in my bedroom has nothing to do with you being a bigot, which your statement “Now, you gays are trying to push your perverse lifestyle into the faces of heterosexual (normal) people and wanting it to be accepted as a normal way of life” just goes to prove my point.

Who died and made you the judge of what is “normal”. Remember it was not that long ago that interracial marriage was not seen as “normal”.

You also say “Gay is not normal. Yes, you might be able to do your job, drive a car and even make change at the cash register but the whole essence of life is to live and to reproduce to keep the human life going.” There are both thousands of lesbian couples that have reproduced along with gay men who have adopted the unwanted children of your so called “heterosexual (normal) people”. Then their are more of us gay and lesbian people who have tried the “straight life” and reproduced children as you put it the “heterosexual (normal) way”.

I would go into detail about what has been proven on the facts that there are many of your “heterosexual (normal) people” who should not be allowed to reproduce for one reason or the other. It would fall on a deaf ear if I tried, so I will save my breath.

You also say, “gays have an identity crisis. For a man who is gay, they want to look like a man, dress like a man, do men things, but be a woman in the bedroom. That’s not normal. Maybe its a defect in the DNA?”

I don’t have an identity crisis nor do I want to be a woman, I am very secure with the person that I am. I am more of a man than you could ever wish to be, that is if you are a man. God made every man and woman in His image, so are you saying that God has a defect in His DNA.

You end your comments with, “I can only hope and pray that one day you will turn back to straight Ray. I really do hope this for you!” It just goes to prove my point that you are one sided, and let us not forget a bigot.

I don’t want to turn you or anyone else gay, since being gay is not a choice a person is born gay. The choice comes down to the point of living openly as a gay person, and not giving into those that want to make you feel as an outcast for being secure with who you are.

I only wish you could allow me the legal rights to be treated as every other citizen of the United States of America.

Since you and others like you feel we are sick and not normal, maybe you should move us to a place away from the “heterosexual (normal) people”. If you allowed us to pick the place, then you would be right in saying the place we picked was a choice. Our first choice would be the Hawaiian Islands followed by Palm Springs then Key West, since everyone knows those are the places we like going to the most. Now you know the place we picked would only be for LGBT people, no “heterosexual (normal) people” allowed.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive

“Who died and left me to be the judge”?

I’m not preventing you or other gay people from doing anything that you want to do….I just don’t agree with the gay lifestyle. I’m just simply speaking my opinion on gay marriage and you don’t like it because I don’t agree you.
Well guess what? The point is to this whole blog that I have been writing is because I can. I am upholding my 1st ammendment right. Freedom of speech. It means that I can express myself by speaking or writing anything (within the law) I want to even if its something you don’t agree with or like to hear.

Everything you have wrote in the past blogs calling me a bigot and sex with animals, etc. You can write that! Isn’t that great?!! Do I really care? No, not really because these are only words. I like to think that I was born with duck feathers…I just let it roll off my back like water. :)

By you calling me a bigot means that you don’t approve of me exercising my 1st ammendment right. So who’s the true bigot now?

And, you say that you’re more of a man that I’ll ever be. How do you know that? I mean really Ray, to me I get the impression that that’s just a hissy-fit way of trying to make me angry. Well, it didn’t.
I’m pretty secure with myself.

In my opinion, I still say and will always say that marriage is a union only between a man and a woman.

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

Here’s a theory on so-called natural born gays that I have…

But first let’s look at nature as an example. Let’s say in a nest of baby birds there is one that is sickly, can’t fly, under sized, or something about it that has a natural error. The mother bird will stop feeding it and/or kick it out of the nest for it to die.

As cruel as this may be it is the way nature deals with these sort of things. I believed its called natural selection.

The way I see gay people is that IF they are born gay, then nature has selected them not to reproduce. Its nature’s way of trying to correct the flaw.

But, as you have stated from your past blogs Ray that you tried to do the so called “right thing” by the way is absured for you to write with the demeanor of it being wrong when the majority of the population lives this way, you have reproduced.
Are your children gay or will produce gay offspring? I don’t know…that’s for nature to do. I’m just writing what I think. If you don’t agree with it (of which I’m sure you won’t) then that’s ok…you have the right to.

When you write that there are thousands of gay people, do you include the thought of what percentage of gays there are to straight people?
I think if you were to do a census that you’d find out that there are more straight people than there are gay.

Now, normality varies from culture to culture but they all behave relatively the same. AND most importantly all have one thing in common, all cultures reproduce with one male and one female.

Look at the classic story of Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein”. The monster was outcasted because he was different from the people of the village. He was a human just as they all are, but he was NOT like them. He was different because he was once dead and then brought back to life. Therefore this was not normal to the village and they rejected him.

This is a bit of an extreme way of getting my point across but nevertheless a valid example of how a society behaves when something or someone is different from the norm (behavior of the majority of the population).

The majority of the world’s population believes in God. The type of religion doesn’t matter in this case other than they have a faith into a higher power or “Nature”.

In Christianity, it is believed that God created man in his own image….a man. Adam.
Adam became lonely and wanted a companion. And then God took a rib from Adam and created woman.

A woman.

Not another man.

God (nature) wanted us to be fruitful and multiply. This is why he created man and woman.

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

When you write that “There are thousands of lesbian women who have reproduced with gay men…” is this a fact or just something you coined up? Can you provide hard factual data on these numbers? Was it natural sex between the two gay people or did it involve artificial conception? I’m thinking it was the later half…

Its good that people want to care for children. I think that children are God’s greatest gifts. But when that child grows up and asks where did he or she come from, how do the gay couples answer this? You have two mommies or two daddies?
In my opinion this is so very cruel to the mental state of the child. The child will then compare its life to children who grew up with a normal mom and dad household.

And before you know it, we have a generation of identity crisis children….or how I like to call it, screwed up!
Today’s society values are getting trashed because of the liberals wanting this and wanting that for their self-serving ideals.

The only reason why today’s society pushes all of this two mommies/two daddies crap is because no one wants to be put on trial in the spotlight of not being politically correct….which I think has gone way too far! This mentality has produced so many chickensh*ts who are afraid to voice their opinions.
I agree its not right to call people hurtful names such as the “N” word or bigots or whatever, but people should still have the courage to say what they feel and not be judged for it IF that’s how they feel.

So to not get way off the point, I just want to voice MY opinion and say that I don’t agree with the gay lifestyle and that I think that gays should not be allowed to marry.

One more thing,
I’m kind of getting tired of writing on here but somehow its turned into who will have the last word on this subject by who’s blog entry gets posted last.

This WILL be my last one despite of what you will call me or think or whatever. I invite you to Ray. Please, if it makes you feel better.

No matter what you say about me will not change my mind on gay marriage. In my opinion it is a union between a man and a woman.

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

Ray, can you actually prove that there are thousands of gay men that copulated with lesbian women in order to produce babies? Or is this just an idea that “you think therefore it is” (post hoc ergo propter hoc)

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

To bby_70:

I only have one thing to say to you and that is you are both a bigot and an idot.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive

To: bby_70

I stand by my remark that you are both a bigot and an idiot, but now that I have time to think I have a reply to your last message.

First of all Hitler had over 6 million men, women, and children killed because they did not fit into his so called “Natural Order”.

You can also go back to the beginning of time where people were killed because they were thought not to fit in the “Natural Order” of the majority of the period. There are still thousands of people in Africa being killed today, again because they do not fit in the “Natural Order” of the majority.

Are you saying that you agree with the above because they did not or do not fit in the “Natural Order” of the majority?

The answer has to yes, since you made the following statement: “So what defines normal? The human behavior of the majority of the population. That’s what defines normal.
Opposites attract and it has been this way from the beginning of human life. Its natures way of surviving.”

Here are a few comments to you from both my straight and gay friends:

You might want to enlighten this bby_70 person that he just likened Frankenstein to my Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus died and was resurrected. Does that make Jesus a misfit and a mistake of nature?? Jesus didn’t reproduce, that we know of, but he was by no means a mistake. Gay people are not a mistake of nature either. They are wired different but they are not wired wrong. God doesn’t make mistakes and he doesn’t make junk.

If this person had a gay son or daughter, he’d change his tune in a heartbeat.

Regardless of the % of gays to straights, it is all in God’s divine plan. I don’t understand it and neither does anyone else. One doesn’t second guess God. Gays are made in God’s image just like straights. Does God make mistakes? No, he doesn’t.

With any conversation with a homophobe, religion always comes up and is used, not as information, but as a weapon.

In the US there are 17 primary versions of the Bible:

1. New International Version (NIV)

2. Kings James Version (KJV)

3. American Kings James Version

12. Living Bible

13. Modern Language Bible

14. New American Bible

15. New Century Version Bible

16. Revised English Bible

17. Revised Standard Version Bible

Plus other non-Christian teachings, such as:

Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Wicca, Baha’I Faith, Confucianism, Shinto, and many others

The many versions and beliefs then pose the question, “Whose version is the right one?” They cannot all be “the word of God.”

Conservative Christian theologians tend to accept English translations of the Bible, such as the New International Version (NIV) and the King James Version (KJV) as authoritative. They generally accept the inerrancy of the Bible. They interpret passages literally, unless there is a good reason not to. They consider all Bible passages as instructive in today’s society. When they see any same-sex activity condemned, they believe this applies to all homosexual activities. All homosexual behavior is sinful, regardless of the nature of the relationship. Homosexuality is a chosen, unnatural, abnormal, changeable, and perverted lifestyle, which is hated by God.

Liberal Christian theologians tend to follow a wider variety of translations, and to be more concerned with instances of copying errors in the original Hebrew or Greek, of forgery, and of biases among the translators. They consider some passages (e.g. those referring to slavery, burning some hookers alive, raping female prisoners of war, etc.) as not being valid today, as immoral, and against the will of God. They differentiate among various homosexual and heterosexual sex practices, treating some (rape, prostitution, temple sex rituals) as immoral and some within committed relationships) as positive. Homosexual orientation and behavior is seen as a normal human sexual expression among a minority of adults. It is not changeable or chosen. Like all sexual behavior, it can be a sin if it is exploitive or manipulative or not carried out safely within a committed relationship.

Religious beliefs differ among faith groups and change over time, particularly those involving:

1. The role of women in the home, religious organizations, and the rest of society;

2. Equal rights for religious minorities,

3. Equal rights for sexual minorities like gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgendered persons and transsexuals, including the right to marry.

They are often established at the religious, denominational, congregational and individual level on the basis of four factors:

1. What do the scriptures say, as interpreted by the group or person?

2. What have the faith group’s historical policies been?

3. What does one’s personal experience say?

4. What does reason and scientific knowledge say?

Conservative wings of Christianity tend to more heavily weigh the first two factors; the liberal and progressive wings tend to give more importance to the last two factors. A similar process is seen in other world religious.

Too often, these four factors lead to conclusions that are not in agreement. Unfortunately, many faith groups do not have mechanisms to handle change will without angry debate, schism, and occasionally even violence.

The Bible describes three emotionally close relationships between two people of the same gender. They appear to have progressed well beyond a casual friendship:

Ruth and Naomi

David and Jonathan

Daniel and Ashpenaz

The most revealing is David and Jonathan:

In Samuel:

“And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, and bow and his belt.” (NIV)

Since people in those days did not wear underwear, Jonathan stripped himself naked in front of David. That would be considered extremely unusual behavior (then and now) unless their relationship was physical.

Let’s talks about the most often used verse to condemn homosexuality: Moses teaches in Leviticus 18:22:

“Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”

Translated from the original Hebrew Text:

“And with a male you shall not lay lyings of a woman.” (no mention of “abomination”)

The verse is, unfortunately, incomplete. Its precise meaning is ambiguous. The phrase “lay lyings” has no obvious interpretation. Attempts have been made to make sense out of the original Hebrew by inserting a short phrase in the verse.

For example, an alternative translation would insert a pair of words to produce: “And with a male you shalt not lay [in the] lyings of a woman.” That is, two men must not engage in sexual behavior on a woman’s bed. Presumable, they must go elsewhere to have sex; a woman’s bed was sacred and was to be reserved for heterosexual sex.

And one must remember, the eating of birds of prey, eating shellfish, cross breeding livestock, picking up sticks on Saturday, planting a mixture of seeds in a field, and wearing clothing that is a blend of two textiles are examples of acts of ritual impurity which made a Child of Israel unclean. These were not necessarily minor sins; some called for the ancient Israelite to be executed or expelled from the tribe.

Other things to consider:

The selling of my youngest daughter into slavery is sanctioned in Exodus (I wonder what would be a good price today?)

It is written in Exodus: “For six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy Sabbath of solemn rest to the Lord; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.” (All you folks who have to work on Sunday, are we to put you to death?)

In Leviticus 11 it says The touching a the skin of a dead pig makes one un-clean. (So don’t go out and play football ever and all football teams should be shut down.)

And does the whole town really have to be gathered to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side?

Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different treads?

The Bible also says you should give all your money away. That wasn’t realistic then, nor is realistic now.

Those who believe in the absolute word of God, embracing one passage and disregarding another, are by definition, bigots.

Now let’s tackle Nature:

As with the Bible, one needs to keep things in the context of the beginnings. Remember back then we did not have car crashes, plane crashes, drive-by shootings, weapons that could kill many with one bomb, etc.

Then as today, many animals have homosexual relationships:

Zebras, Baboons, Dolphins, Sheep, Bison, Ducks, Foxes, Elephants, Horses, Gorillas, Moose, House Cats, Pigs, Mice, Swans and Lions just to name a few.

Since man had no other predator except himself, nature needed to add an additional safe guard to over population over and above accidental death, disease and old age. Same-sex relationships is that control. Homosexuality is a natural occurring variant in nature, just like skin pigment, eye color, hair color, etc. It’s that uncomplicated.

On a personal note, dealing with as many “children in crisis,” one clear observation has been kids are taught bigotry and hate. It is learned. I had the good fortune to be raised by parents who believed in respecting everyone and listened to all points of views. That’s health learning.

I understand none of the above will change your mind on the fact that gay people do not fit in your “Natural Order”, because you are a true bigot and idiot.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive

Ray,

If you’re going to call me an idiot, please spell it correctly…

Looks like you wrote alot here, wow! I’ll read it when I get the chance. I’m at work right now and that’s more important.

All in all, you can call me whatever you want. I still stand to my opinion (of what this whole blog is about).

I still think that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

I’m not going to write anymore…I’m done. I have better things to do than to keep coming back to this blog and playing who’s going to get the last word…

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

My hat goes off to The Donald. It took her not doing the job she won the crown as Miss California for to have Carrie Prejean to get her just dues, which shows she road the wave of being Miss California just to promote hate and herself. Carrie should have known that karma always wins in the end.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive

This is an obvision case of Keith Lewis not practicing the same “tolerance” that same-sex partners expect to receive from the general public.

Posted by Joe Turnly | Report as abusive

To: Joe Turnly

Maybe you didn’t understand why Carrie Prejean lost her crown as Miss California. It was not taken away from her because she spoke out so strongly against gay marriage, had brest implants or failed to come forward with the photos taken of her which she claims was bad judgement, it was taken away from her for not doing the job required of her as Miss California.

It is obvious that Carrie Prejean was using the title of Miss California to promote herself and had nothing to do with Keith Lewis not practicing the same “tolerance” that same-sex partners expect to receive from the general public. Both Keith Lewis and Donald Trump let her keep the title and crown when we, gay couples, felt they should have been taken from her.

It is like with any job, you are fired when you fail to perform your duties outlined by the job.

Like I said before, karma always finds a way to win in the end.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive

What all of you fail to understand is that this sad story is TRUE. I was with Carrie when she was told the events she would NEED to attend if she wanted to keep her crown. These events were all in support of gay rights, gay marriage and Keith Lewis’s gay agenda.
It’s simply WRONG with how they “set her up”. As the real story unfolds and all of you who are questioning Carrie’s character….Karma will WIN in the end.

Posted by Francine | Report as abusive

“Set up?” She still had to follow the rules that came with being Miss California. If she doesn’t like playing by the rules, then she will never make it in life. Life comes with a larger set of rules than being a pageant winner.

Posted by Ray Dearman | Report as abusive