Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

“Idol” singers have “chill” attitudes ahead of finale

May 20, 2009

They went head-to-head in the final showdown of “American Idol” on Tuesday night, but if any animosity exists between finalists Adam Lambert and Kris Allen, it was not apparent when they spoke to reporters backstage after the show.

kris-allen-adam-lambert

The only moment of friction, and it was all a joke, came when Lambert, the taller contestant between the two, lowered the microphone for the shorter Allen after the two stepped onto a speakers’ podium. Allen laughed at the gesture.

Allen summed up his and Lambert’s attitudes when he was asked how he was handling the hype surrounding the finale.

“I think both of us are kind of chill guys, so we can totally deal with it,” Allen said.

The two finalists had been roommates until recently, and as a joke question a reporter asked which contestant looks better naked.

“We don’t get naked together, sorry,” Lambert said, to laughter from reporters.

As for the singing, the stuff that really matters in the competition, Lambert said that he found symbolism in the songs he performed on Tuesday, which included “Mad World” by Tears for Fears and “Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke.

“I think ‘Mad World’ is kind of symbolic, it talks about people that don’t feel like they fit in,” Lambert said.

“I think ‘Change is Gonna Come’ is also symbolic in that anyone who feels oppressed can relate to that song. It’s been a civil rights anthem for a long time, and there’s all sorts of new civil rights issues that are coming up right now,” he said.

When it came to praise from the judges, Lambert and his falsetto stylings seemed to edge out Allen, his more homespun competitor from Conway, Arkansas, in their final competition on Tuesday.

While alpha judge Simon Cowell called the first round of the competition for Allen, assailing Lambert’s first performance as too theatrical and comparing it to “The Phantom of the Opera,” Cowell’s criticism of the Allen’s second song, “What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye, was notably harsh for a season finale.

“If I’m being honest with you, it was like three friends in their bedroom strumming along to Marvin Gaye,” Cowell said.

Judge Paula Abdul, appearing at the backstage news conference, provided the sunny view of the competition that she is known for, sidestepping a question about who she thought would win. Then Abdul was asked if all the judges will be back next year, an important question because Abdul’s own contract expires this season.

“Tune in,” Abdul said, as a handler dragged her away from the microphone.

Photo credit: Fox/Michael Becker

Comments

ARE SIMON AND PAULA “BREAKING UP”?
Will tonight be the last time we’ll see them together?
Let’s hope not. ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Opl3TCK 0o
See more parodies at http://parodyandson.blogspot.com

Posted by Bruce | Report as abusive

I am so disappointed that we live in one of the leading and free countries in the world, but our society is still the most repressed in the world…
Is an American freedom an Illussion???
I have never seen this much hype and popularity around American Idol or any other show with real stars as it did this season, and I believe it is all because of the level of talent Mr. Lambert has brought to the show… Even though I knew I was watching FOX, I was optimistic that they can’t possibly flat out deny a GREAT talent that is exposed to the world as it has this season…
His talent ( Adam Lamert’s ) has made me forget who FOX’s audience really is… and tonight I am REMINDED!
It is shame, in the land of the free, where dreams come true, such a talent is over looked by ones sexuality…
I wish Mr. Adam Lambert the best in his future and look forward to his Rocking albums, and I will be waiting for him to come to Dallas this Summer.

Minnie

Posted by Minnie | Report as abusive

Adam is a very good performer. I prefer Kris over Adam, not because of their sexuality but because of the way they sing. I enjoy listening to someone like Kris rather than Adam. He was a little over the top for me.

They are both going to do great after American Idol. I believe a lot of contestants from the top 13 will get signed for a record deal. So it’s not the end for Adam obviously just because he didn’t get the title.

Kris Allen has it all and that’s why he won. He kept me surprised and pleased when he performed. The song “Heartless” that he performed was amazing. For me, Adam just got a little old and overwhelming at times with his “screaming.”

I can’t wait for Kris to put out his first Album.

Posted by Alonna | Report as abusive

even though Adam Lambert did not get the American Idol title, his singing talent is phenomenal. As far as i’m concern, he is the winner!
I am looking forward for his 1st album that will rock the nation. Adam Lambert… more power to you !!!!!!!!

Minnie, I totally agree. Even to the point: that I feel
some type of fraud was involved. auto-dialer fraud may have been used possibly from the so called “religious right.” It’s a travesty! It was a no-brainer when it came to talent and intelligent creative mastery. Everyone with 1/2 a brain was shocked. I think this is the last season I watch. Adam should have been the clear winner. -Lee

Posted by Lee | Report as abusive

Give me a break. Kris Allen won because he appealed to a wider audience. While Lambert was very good for his genre, heavy rock is not as popular as the mainstream sounds Allen brings. Let’s not turn tonight’s result into something it’s not.

Posted by Rob | Report as abusive

There is no way that I will accept Kris as an idol.
I guess, I have to deal with it. For me, no matter what Adam is far better singer and performer, 1000000000000%.

Posted by no way | Report as abusive

As Kris won the title, I belted out laughing as this avg singer with all his quirky moves won over the majority of America’s vote. I think that it must be that he is just more likable. Maybe the people overall didn’t want to see Adam and Steve thing go home with the prize. I think Danny and Allison were also way better than Kris….but Kris fits the mold of young girls hearts and I believe that is where he won the popularity contest…. Adam may be gay but… FOR ME DOG… I loved the KISS and Queen performances, can’t wait to see what he does next!

Posted by Rodger | Report as abusive

I think we all need to recognize the name of this show is after all “American Idol”. I truly believe that this nation is looking for the correct role model that fits the mold of American Idol. A lot of attention is placed on what the young performers today get themselves into. The world watched as Britany Spears had her kids taken from her, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton and numerous others all faced chemical dependencies.

We need a person who shows the moral fiber that our nation needs. The young generation needs to see that you can be a geniune person and make it in the world. There needs to be no flashy here-I-am spectacle to have people know who you are. Just be yourself and present a positive selfless image.

Congratulations to Kris Allen, you deserve your title and America has proven she needs a positive role model for the young generation.

i’m glad kris won he’s very down to earth and his singing for me is so much better to listin to adam will be fine but kris is the winner and should be way to go kris can’t wait to hear you may all your dreams come true.

This is a blessing in disguise for Adam. It is well known that America always votes for the wrong person. The second place winner is usually the one that rises to fame, the blessing comes for Adam that he doesn’t have to sell his soul to American Idol to become a star! He won’t be owned by them…sorry about your luck Kris!

You will see in another year who the real winner is.

Posted by Jake | Report as abusive

No doubt in my mind that Adam is not only a great singer but a wonderful entertainer and he had my vote. I would love to see him in concert. Kris pulled it off but no doubt in my mind, Adam made the show.

Posted by Marie | Report as abusive

Adam was okay. But not as good as everyone is trying to make him out to be. He is a theater man so he is used to performing. But come on, everyone makes it out like he was the second coming of Elvis, James Brown and Freddie Mercury rolled into one. Hardly.

Posted by dude | Report as abusive

Good point Deborah I agree! I think you hit the nail on the head!

Posted by Erin | Report as abusive

Adam Lambert is by far the best American Idol we’ve had. Kris Allen is also a great singer….Adam Lambert caught my attention from the beginning. I’m over 50 yrs old…and really appreciate the diversity of American Idol….Adam, you’re my American Eye..dol…

Posted by Sonia | Report as abusive

Adam was far superior to me if you look at the whole season……I think the reason he didnt win the competition is because of the way he dressed,the music he sang and a question about his sexual preference. It saddens me that a singing competition became a popularity contest. Kris is more the boy next door…when i heard all of the singers kris rated about average among the group. Adam was a shining star..

Posted by pat | Report as abusive

deborah…….this is a singing competition….NOT running for president…next year they will be asking the contestants what religion they are and what political party they support…..it is UNFAIR to judge who is the best roll model……apparently to be a good role model you have to dress a certain way,like a certain kind of music,etc etc….this is a society where theres a lot of horrible things done……teachers and religious leaders who “look” normal have done some horrible things….for all the “advancements ” we have made there are still who are stuck in caveman times……

Posted by patricia | Report as abusive