Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Guitarist Slash’s mother dies in Los Angeles

By Dean Goodman
June 9, 2009

slash2Costume designer Ola Hudson, who made outfits for the likes of David Bowie, John Lennon and Ringo Starr but is perhaps better known as the mother of former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash, has died after a battle with lung cancer, a longtime friend said.

Hudson died at Saint John’s Health Center in the Los Angeles municipality of Santa Monica on Friday evening, according to Arlett Vereecke. She was 62. In addition to Slash, 43 – whose real name is Saul Hudson — she is survived by another son, graphic artist Albion “Ash” Hudson, 38, as well as her ex-husband, English artist Anthony Hudson.

In a Twitter message late on Monday, Slash said he was back in the studio working on a solo project, “but I’m having a hard time concentrating.”

His mother dated Bowie after her marriage broke up in the mid-1970s. ”I really didn’t like him that much, because he was the new guy in the house,” Slash said of Bowie in a 1990 interview with Rolling Stone magazine. “I was really resentful.”

Funeral arrangements were still being finalized.

Comments

I am so sorry to hear that… My thoughts go out to him and his lovely family.

Posted by Dorothy | Report as abusive

very sorry to hear that…..our best wishes are with him always

Posted by summit | Report as abusive

slash your the greatest. thanks so much to your mom. you really did make her proud and you should feel proud that you did it in time for her to see . only good things for you in the future. j.

Posted by john g. | Report as abusive

I am very Sorry to hear about the loss of Slash’s mother. My heart goes out to you and your Family Slash. I know she is very proud of her son being one of the greatest rock guitarist of all time.

Posted by Darrell Johnson | Report as abusive

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Losing a mother must be the most lonely and terrifying thing to go through. It’s also a part of life. Be strong and keep going forward. you are in my prayers.Keep playing guitar.-Anetka

Posted by Anetka | Report as abusive

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER OLA HUDSON AS THE BEAUTIFUL PERSON SHE WAS. A GIFT SHE INHERITED FROM HER LOVELY MOTHER, WHO WILL ALWAYS REMAIN IN OUR HEARTS…OUR DEEPEST AND SINCEREST CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY.

Posted by KAYLA ,SCOTT,TONI,&HARRIET HOFFMAN | Report as abusive

I was so sorry to hear about that. Slash is a really fantastic guitarist who I have been a fan for years and really admire. I’m so sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with him and his family at this difficult time.

Posted by Vikki Kelly | Report as abusive

Slash- my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.Words can’t describe it- I can’t imagine it-Stay strong man…sure I could say- she is in a better place- she isn’t suffering anymore…sure I could say it- but is it what you want to hear??Sure I could say it– stay strong- don’t do something wrong- I could say it- but is it something you want to hear??Just follow your footsteps wherever they lead-

Posted by valerie | Report as abusive

Illness is a terrible thing, sometimes i am very afraid to fall ill suddenly and go t death, what should we do then???

Slash, Ash Susie et alOla was the sweetest person I’ve ever met being my neighbor for 17years ..and friend INEVER heard her speak above a whisper.I watched her take care of josh a never complained ,for a while she took care of her father and josh,yet she never complained…..Every time I saw her she smiled.and if I complained she would give me kind wordfollowed the next day with a hallmark card.she loved to walk..and we did that many times ,especially on Sundays to the Beverly Hills ,Farmer’s market… everyone who knew her loved her..she loved the arts but she loved her boys more… she was an Earth Bound Angel I WILLl MISS HER

Posted by joye Long | Report as abusive

So sad to read this. I’ve been looking for Ola for so long and am devasted to find out she passed on two years ago. I met her a LA KIDS where she designed dresses and we quickly became friends. She helped me immensly when I had a nervous breakdown in 1988. She was so amazing. Her Mum was lovely too. And I remember her Great dane Evita.
Ola was a rare find. Totally ahead of her time. I’m so sad to think that I’ll never meet her again. I miss her and her Jetta.
R.I.P. Ola, thank you so much for saving my life.
Love forever Lee and Kitty xoxoxoxoxo