Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

A new son for Cher as daughter plans sex change

By Dean Goodman
June 11, 2009

If she could turn back time … Cher’s lesbian daughter would rather have been born a man. So Chastity Bono, 40, is undergoing a sex change, according to TMZ

chastity“Yes, it’s true — Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity,” her publicist, Howard Bragman, was quoted as telling the celebrity gossip site.

Contacted by Reuters, Bragman confirmed the veracity of the TMZ report, but declined to comment further. A message left for Cher’s manager was not immediately returned.

Cher, 63, already has one son, Elijah Blue Allman, 32, from her marriage to Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band. Chastity’s dad was Cher’s first husband, late music impresario/politician Sonny Bono.

Chastity publicly revealed she was a lesbian in 1995. She briefly followed her parents into the music business, wrote two books – a memoir and a guide to coming out – and worked as a spokeswoman for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which applauded her sex-change decision.

“Chaz Bono’s decision to live his life authentically represents an important step forward, both for him personally and for all who are committed to advancing discussions about fairness and equality for transgender people,” said GLAAD president Neil G. Giuliano. “Coming out as transgender is an extremely personal decision and one that is never made lightly. We look forward to hearing Chaz’s story in his own words in the future.”

Comments

ROFLOL

Chastity!!!! LOL LOL LOL
what a name for someone who is doing everything opposite to its own name… regardless of taste… LOL

a woman (by nature)

who wants to be a man (by needle&thread make-belief and no one dare burst her bubble)

who loves women (she is lesbian right?)

This is what happens when ur off your meds!!! LOL

Courageous? please just say what you mean… no one should dare pull a Carrie Prejean or they’ll get it…

No wonder the Muslims are scared sh1t1ess of American “values” coming to their countries.

Posted by Alessandro | Report as abusive

What man would want her?
Would he/she/it still be gay?
what a joke.

Posted by Chris Gierke | Report as abusive

Who cares?

Posted by terri lynn | Report as abusive

I am totally ignoring the below comment.

I support Chaz 100%. Everyone should have a right to be what they feel they are inside and to stay true to themselves. Just because someone finds it weird, doesn’t mean it’s wrong. =]

Posted by Shanrock | Report as abusive

Keep your ignorance and hate to yourself. There are a lot of people who feel inside they were born the wrong gender. If you’re not one, then shut up and only speak about what you know! And yes this happens in EVERY country where there are people.

Posted by Bono Pal | Report as abusive

yay!
good for him. I’m glad he’s going to do something that would make him feel better.

I hope this is one step closer for glbtq rights, especially trans rights.

Posted by keegan | Report as abusive

Posted by cdub | Report as abusive

WTG…we all should be whatever we want to be…..I admire your courage.

Posted by Susan | Report as abusive

Why are you all so hateful? Why are we as a society so quick to bash other human beings? We all want to be respected, loved, accepted. Why spread hatred? Why cant we just try and treat others how we desire to be treated?

Posted by Kathleen | Report as abusive

For whatever reason, I believe she truly feels she is in the wrong body.
There has to be truth in it when some one says they feel the opposite sex and then does such a drastic thing to fit.
It’s going to be tough though..Changing sex with the world watching will be hard..There will be horrible comments..She will forever be remembered as a girl, and will never get to live without some one knowing who she is..
So no matter what..I sympathize with her for the emotional pain she is going to have to endure..

Posted by Mary | Report as abusive

One sure can do what they want with their body but why is this news? I agree, WHO CARES ???

Posted by Seb | Report as abusive

Im a transman myself and i find it great that someone in the public eye is willing to come out and be themselves and not worry what anyone is going to think. life is about personal fulfillment not to please and make everyone like you so whoever doesnt like what chaz the man does stick up ur butt ur jealous u cant be as true to urself as a transsexual/transgender can.

What man would want her?
Would he/she/it still be gay?
what a joke.

and this comment is a joke i hope u die alone.
try opening ur mind or maybe a damn book u ignorant git, a transman is more of a man than u will ever be whats in ur pants does not reflect whats in ur heart and soul.

Posted by transking | Report as abusive

Why is this news? So an adult of seemingly sound mind wants to change the plumbing. Big deal.

It appears that as “God made Chastity female”, the ultra right would do away with medical care for children born with birth defects, plastic surgery is out, and even glasses, hearing aids and wheelchairs must be done away with. We cannot CHANGE what God made can we?

Posted by Peachallie | Report as abusive

GrooooosssssssS!!!!!!! Very Nasty folks!!!!!

Posted by Bob Ham | Report as abusive

I think Cher made a great statement about supporting Chaz: “She is embarking on a difficult journey, but one that I will support. I respect the courage it takes to go through this transition in the glare of public scrutiny. Although I may not understand, I will strive to be understanding. The one thing that will never change is my abiding love for my child.”

It’s really disgusting to read all the venom by hateful people on this issue, and bringing “GOD” into it. SNAP OUT OF IT !! Grow up and learn some manners.

Oh yeah, I also don’t fully understand but I also am supportive because it is what HE needs. I cannot take CHAZ’ moral inventory. Anyone who thinks they can better take a long hard look in the mirror.

Posted by Tom Freeman | Report as abusive

As long as there is controversy, there will be bigots. Chaz should do what’s in his heart and mind. People need to stop judging other people for things that don’t apply to them or physically harm them. One has the right to disagree, not judge. Live and let live. I have a freind doing the same go Cher. Good luck you all have my suport and prayers. Hope all gose well.
kathleen

If this is what Chaz wants then let him do it. We refer to a person as they want to be referred out of respect. We dont need to understand. Its like changing a name. We dont understand why but we address the person by the new name our of respect even if it feels unnatural at first.
Remember it their life and only they are accountable for it. It’s noones business to judge. I particularly respect anyone in the public eye adressing big issues like this as they would get a LOT of confusion and abuse thrown at them. It would be terrifying.
I’m wondering where Chaz is at in the sex change process as he still looks like a woman facially at least. I’m womdering if Chaz intends to change his face in any way not that he should. I’m sure hormones would do that anyhow. I hope he is happier for the change and is at peace in future.

alright, for those who are all “people have the right to look on the outside the way they feel on the inside” if someone feels like a dolphin, should they get a dolphinoplasty? she’s not becoming a man, she’s becoming a woman with a mutilated vagina and clitoris, that can not reproduce with her new “organ” if you are gay, fine, if you want to dress like the sex you wish you were, fine i havn’t heard of one sex change patient that stays happy with their decision, it’s just stupid… for example there is this transexual that plays at my local golf course, he wants to join the womens league but they won’t let him because he’s a man, they won’t let him join the mens league because he insists on hitting from the womans tee… also has a mutliated penis and boobs

Posted by ummmmmmmm123 | Report as abusive

Okay, this is coming from a transman.

First of all, “Chaz” is the gayest bloody name ever. Who the f— in their right mind would willingly call themselves by that name?

Secondly, just as clarification of what happens when a female-to-male transsexual begins testosterone treatment: Within three years, we look and sound completely male. There’s nothing about us that gives us away, except perhaps smaller hands and slightly bigger hips. Even if Chaz goes off testosterone after that period of time, he will continue to look and sound male, although his muscle mass will deplete.

Thirdly, to the first comment, I believe, posted on this article. A.) Your grammar makes my eyes bleed. B.) Your sphere of acquaintance must be very small and not at all personal. Most of the trannies -I- know, myself included, are highly satisfied and content with their decisions. These changes are permanent, they are lasting, and as excessively overdone as it is to say, they express who we truly are. So stop being a whiny pu–yb-tch.

Lastly, and my final note…. Cher had kids? … Huh. Odd.

Posted by Joseph | Report as abusive

This “whatever makes you happy” attitude, no matter how bizaare, clearly shows societies rapid decline.

Posted by Leni | Report as abusive