Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

“So You Think You Can Dance” celebrates 100th show; cuts pack to six

July 24, 2009

It was a night of celebration on Fox’s summer hit “So You Think You Can Dance” as the show marked it’s 100th episode with special guest appearances and the return of Emmy-winning performances.

Familiar faces from seasons past, including Travis Wall, Heidi Groskreutz, and Hawk, performed award-winning routines such as the zombie-inspired group number Ramalama (Bang Bang) and the contemporary gem “Calling You.”

Thursday’s show also featured a new, and perhaps the most eagerly anticipated addition, as actress Katie Holmes performed a pre-taped tribute to screen legend Judy Garland.

jan

Despite the jovial feel, salsa dancer Janette Manrara and contemporary dancer Jason Glover were sent packing as the top eight was cut down to six.

“Janette, you were my favorite too and I really wanted you to win this year,” said executive producer and judge Nigel Lythgoe. “You bring so much to this.”

Lythgoe added he thought America got it wrong, but ultimately elimination is decided by viewers. So do you agree with Lythgoe? Was Manrara’s elimination as much a shock to you as it was to host Cat Deeley?

Manrara faced stiff competition on Wednesday’s performance show, which was filled with a number of memorable numbers.

Tyce Diorio’s contemporary routine, inspired by a friend’s battle with breast cancer, was hailed as a “perfect portrait” by an emotional judge Mia Michaels. Performed by Melissa Sandvig and Ade Obayomi, Lythgoe said the number prompted an overwhelming audience response, including a personal message from Olivia Newton-John, herself a breast cancer survivor.

“I think television at its best can reach out and unite a country with a shared experience and I think that happened last night with Tyce’s routine,” Lythgoe said on Thursday.

Guest judge Ellen DeGeneres provided some much-needed comic relief on Wednesday’s show as Lythgoe dished out biting criticisms before and after the tears, including his contention this season’s hip hop numbers disappointed.

However, both street-inspired performances blew the judges away. Jeanine Mason and Brandon Bryant hit hard on Wednesday with a jasonLaurie Ann Gibson pop-jazz routine, breaking Lythgoe out of his funk. “This is the flattest night I have ever experienced on ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ up until now,” he said of the routine.

Michaels praised the camouflaged-clad couple saying, “you guys danced in a place that was more than dance, you were inside it.”

Kayla Radomski and Glover’s ghoulish Shane Sparks hip hop routine was one of the few numbers to prompt judge Mary Murphy’s coveted bloodcurdling screams. Michaels described the pair as “disturbingly hot” and noted it was her favorite Sparks number to date.

Was the milestone 100th show bittersweet with the elimination of Manrara and Glover or did you have your cake and eat it too?

Captions: (Top) Janette Manrara , 25, is a salsa/ballroom dancer from Miami, Fl. ©2009 Fox Broadcasting Co. Cr: Mike Ruiz/FOX

Jason Glover, 21, is a contemporary/lyrical dancer from Fresno, CA. ©2009 Fox Broadcasting Co. Cr: Mike Ruiz/FOX

Comments

Evan rocked it! I’m so glad he made it through! I love both Jason and Jeanette. She was great and so was he!

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

Emotion beat out common sense today on ‘So, You Think You Can Dance’. Janette IS the best dancer among the women. The voting proves breast cancer beats great dancing in the voter’s eyes.

Posted by Rusty B. | Report as abusive

You nailed it Rusty, America did get it wrong and I wish the judges had a save, no way Janette should be gone, she’s the best of the girls and the boys, only one who can hold their own with her is Brandon and she out danced him more than once. What a shame.

Posted by Aubrey H. | Report as abusive

Janette was absolutely robbed. Melissa danced Tyce’s piece well, but so would have any of the other female dancers up there. Melissa should have gone home. So the judges liked Janette best? They should, because she is the best. However, the judges have themselves to blame for overpraising Tyce’s cancer piece.

Posted by rhetoricus | Report as abusive

I completely agree with you rusty, aubrey and rhetoricus. Although breast cancer is important, one good routine about an important topic doesn’t warrant a winner over Janette. She was by far the best. This almost makes one not want to watch the show anymore if this is how people will vote-based on popularity of the subject of the dance, not the quality of the dancer.

Posted by christine | Report as abusive

I think America got it wrong also, Janette was the best female dancer in the competition.

I have a comment on Katie Holmes: Who told her she could sing and dance, what a diservice to Juday Garland to peform that number! ! ! ! ! !

Posted by Barbara | Report as abusive

Ugh. Katie Holmes was terrible and the lip syncing was the worst so far on SYTYCD. And there have been some bad ones (Kristina DeBarge, anyone?)! That was just an unfortunate performace for everyone, even if it was for charity. Nice try, though. As for Janette, she should have won the show. I CANNOT believe they kicked her off. What a tragedy. And I agree with all of you. It should be about the dancer and the whole repertoire, not just one dance. And I do love Melissa, but it was her time to go, NOT Janette. :( Don’t know if I need to watch anymore…

Posted by IheartJanette | Report as abusive

I agree with the comments. I don’t intend to watch the remainder of the season. It goes to show that no one paid attention to the quality of dance. I’d love to see Janette dance Tyce’s piece. Now that would have been amazing.

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

I agree with everyone. I can not believe that Janette was voted off. That was such a shock!!! Katie Holmes was a disappointment. Certainly they could have got someone with some actual dancing and singing talent to participate in the 100th episode.

Posted by Verda McCallum | Report as abusive

Definitely America got it wrong with Janette. She is a far better all-around dancer than Melissa. Tyce’s piece was moving, but it is not about HIM, it is about the DANCERS. I agree with everyone….Janette got the shaft, and I am not sure if I will continue to watch.

Posted by Marge | Report as abusive

I totally agaree that Janette should not have gone home last night. She handled it like the pro that she is, however, and I look forward to seeing her dance in future. I’m hoping she “pulls a Daughtry” and is more successful than whoever ends up winning this thing. On another note, he may not be the most charismatic of the dancers, but I love Evan. He keeps getting slapped around by the judges, but he continues to do a great job dancing out of his comfort zone.

Posted by mindy | Report as abusive

Janette absolutely was the best dancer she should have stayed! Katie Holmes should stick to her day job, she was terrible.

Janette – I had a major tantrum when you were voted off last week! You are my favorite. Every time I hear “This is Miami” I see you dancing. You’ve brought so much life and spirit to the show, every dance you have done has been outstanding!!! Even though you’re not the “winner” you have a fabulous dancing career ahead of you. So looking forward seeing you dance on tour in Colorado Springs.

Posted by Linda of Denver | Report as abusive

Evan should have gone home the week before last instead of Kapono, although Kapono’s personality was immature and annoying. I really don’t want to see the rest of the show either now that Jeanette’s gone. She got screwed last week getting pair up with Evan. Her Rumba routine would have been awesome if she didn’t have to hold back to dance with Crapy Evan. He even knows he sucks. I’m quite surprised he didn’t give up his space to let one on the better guys stay. Jeanette rocks and I’m pissed I can’t see he dance anymore!!

Posted by Christina | Report as abusive

Evan should have gone home the week before last instead of Kapono, although Kapono’s personality was immature and annoying. I really don’t want to see the rest of the show either now that Jeanette’s gone. She got cheated last week getting paired up with Evan. Her Rumba routine would have been awesome if she didn’t have to hold back to dance with Evan. He even knows he stinks. I’m quite surprised he didn’t give up his space to let one on the better guys stay. Jeanette rocks and I’m so mad I can’t see he dance anymore!! I’m sure nexts week show will be quite uneventful!

Posted by Christina | Report as abusive

Hok, not Hawk, and Janette was one of my favorite dances by far.

Posted by Vic | Report as abusive

Janette being voted off was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever had with this show. The other are great, don’t get me wrong, but Janette was so consistantly great & exciting to watch. Every week I just can’t wait to watch SYTYCD but this week I just don’t care anymore. The judges need to be involved up until the end. Shame on those who didn’t vote cause they thought she was safe….I did my part & voted as much as I could. I’m so sad it wasn’t enough.

Posted by Liza | Report as abusive

i was so mad to see janeete go home she was one of the bes dancers the show has ever had. she had skill and charisma she was AMERICA’S BEST DANCER! such a dissapointment jus like last yr with Will…… and for the guys i kno some r about to be upset but so whaT EVAN should have gone home he a good dancer but hes not great when the dances are up and happy and fun hes good but you cant take him serious he doesnt give you that effortless strength or those emotions tht make u just hynotize u into the dance n just say wow i felt tht everyone else does he keeps getting by just because o hes so nice and sincere always smiling he not going to win n everyone kno it n if he does america let great dancers slip thru their fingers i wish this wasnt america’s favorite dancer and was americas best dancer…. because we r biased

Posted by Kiana Janes | Report as abusive