Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Is “Blade Runner” the greatest sci-fi movie ever?

August 4, 2009

JAPAN/It’s a controversial call but sci-fi website Totalscifionline.com has come up with its list of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time — crowning the 1982 movie “Blade Runner” as the winner. Starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, and directed by Ridley Scott, the movie depicts a dystopian Los Angeles where manufactured beings called replicants are hunted down by Ford, a semi-retired blade runner.

“It¹s odd to think that “Blade Runner” was not a critical or commercial success on its initial release in 1982. Some critics dismissed it as a case of style over substance,” said Matt McAllister, editor of Totalscifionline.com. ”Yet while the depiction of a neon-lit future LA is still breathtaking, Ridley Scott¹s film is backed up a real sense of sadness, fear and longing .. However many times you¹ve seen Blade Runner before, it retains its awe-inspiring power. ”

In second place came Stanley Kubrick’s epic “2001: A Space Odyssey”while the first release of the Star Wars franchise, “Episode IV: A New Hope,” was listed at No. 3.

The list spans more than a century of movies in the sci-fi genre, with current release “Moon” making USA-CHRISTIES/position 74, and “A Trip to the Moon” from 1902 in the top 15. Other entries in the list include two versions of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers,”  and a list of titles from the genre’s 1970s heyday such as “Silent Running,” “The Man Who Fell To Earth” and “The Andromeda Strain.” as well as films by Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Russia’s Andrei Tarkovsky. Three “Star Trek” movies made the list with the newest movie coming in at 93, “The Wrath of Khan” at 19 and “The Undiscovered Country” at 67.

Following is the top 10 list. Do you agree?

1. Blade Runner (1982)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
3. Star Wars (1977)
4. Alien (1979)
5. Metropolis (1927)
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
7. The Terminator (1984)
8. Planet of the Apes (1968)
9. E.T. (1982)
10. Solaris (1972)

Comments

Those are all great movies but I do miss War of the Worlds the 2005 version with Tom Cruise.

Yes, Blade Runner is the best science fiction film ever. Although we would need to ask the editors which version they mean? The original version with the unicorns and leaden voice over? The first director’s cut? Or the second director’s cut? And so on and so on. Fans will know what I mean.

Blade runner i found a bit boring, but thats just my opinion. I can see why a lot of people love this film just not for me. Belinda did mention Moon on her blog, has anyone seen this film? if not I would advise you to go to see it. If you have seen it what did you think of it

Posted by braidsy | Report as abusive

Surely “Dunes” should have featured in the top 3, and “War of the worlds” should have been somewhere in there. Blade runner first? it was no better than “Solient Green” or “Tron” fun but a bit boring and certainly not the best ever.

Why no animated films in the top 10?

Akira?

Ghost in the Shell?

Both easily in the top 10

Posted by avogadro | Report as abusive

My memory of “Bladerunner” has pretty much fogged over, but simply closing my eyes, I can see “2001, A Space Odyssey” so very clearly. What makes a movie “greatest” is obviously different than “memorable”.

Posted by Richard | Report as abusive

2001: A Space Odyssey is by far the greatest sci fi movie of all time. It was so far ahead of it’s time and brilliant. Star Wars should have then been number two. Blade Runner makes my top five but it is not as ground breaking as some think. It was just a basic film noir that happened to be in the future and had androids. It was the first time to my knowledge that someone had success in combining the two but I think the fact that it was said to be based on a Philip K. Dick short story has more to do with it’s success than anything else.

Posted by Travis | Report as abusive

I really Love Blade Runner it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. In fact, I loved it so much I sought out, and read the book it was based on. But, I am not sure it deserves to be Number 1. I might have placed Star Wars as the number one movie of all time mainly because of its impact on culture through out the world. There are so many films created by many different countries over the last one hundred and seven years including animation films that should have been considered for the top five. I was glad to see Metropolis was included.

Posted by Mike M | Report as abusive

John- did you mean David Lynch’s Dune or the Sci-Fi channel Dune? Because the irony of referring to Bladerunner as boring in comparison to Lynch’s Dune is.. well… I mean come on. And the sci… sy fy version was entertaining, but a bit hokey for my taste. To each their own I suppose.

@ avogadro: Akira was good, but sadly you didn’t get the whole story due to time constraints.

Also 2001 bored me to sleep.

Posted by Terrell H | Report as abusive

#1. Alien – groundbreaking #2. Blade Runner – Dir cut #3. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back (much better than Ep IV) #5. Planet of the Apes – better Chuck than 10 Commandments !

Posted by Glenn | Report as abusive

oops…#4 2001 – boring, but still great for the day

Posted by Glenn | Report as abusive

At last a list I agree with….Blade Runner is the best Science Fiction movie ever made….2001, second yes…even my other favourite, Solaris is in there…I cannot remember how many times I’ve seen these three films..Star Wars is a lot further down the chart for me…its just not sophisticated enough.

Sigh – the Star Wars sextet are fantasy films, not (by any stretch) Science Fiction. The Fifth Element has a stronger claim than Star Wars, French farcical components notwithstanding…

Posted by Esullivan | Report as abusive