Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Fox gets “Glee” cast to tweet along to rerun on TV

September 5, 2009

Reruns can be boring, even with a highly anticipated show like Fox’s high school musical comedy “Glee.” But the network has a new idea for the one-hour rerun of its pilot episode airing tonight at 9 p.m., which is positioned to build fan interest for the season premier on Wednesday.glee_tweetpeat_press_300dpi

Cast members of the show will answer questions from fans on social networking website Twitter, and their short responses will appear on television in the lower part of the screen. They will also offer up insights on their own, at least as much as Twitter allows a person to say with its 140 digital character limit.

Fox is calling this a “tweet-peat,” instead of a repeat airing, and it will involve cast members Lea Michele, Kevin McHale, Amber Riley and others.

Fox has been working overtime on the Web to build fan interest for the show, and this is the latest example of that. Putting Twitter comments directly on the TV screen is a new direction for network television.

Will Friday’s “tweet-peat” help attract more viewers to the season premier on Wednesday? It probably can’t hurt. The show has already received some good reviews, with critic James Poniewozik of Time magazine writing that if creator Ryan Murphy can “flesh out the overly broad characters, this series could be a rare, sophisticated, joyous hybrid that gets to have its pop candy and satirize it too.”

(The above image from Fox Broadcasting is an example of how the Friday night rerun of the “Glee” pilot episode will look)

Comments

I’m sure that Fox doesn’t care, but I hate this.

Posted by Jane | Report as abusive

I’m watching the episode now and I have to say the tweets are very distracting and pretty inane. Who thought this was a good idea? I wish they would stop.

Posted by Ntkufreak | Report as abusive

How do I turn off the stuff on the bottom 1/3 of my TV? Last night we had to switch channels becaus of this stuff.

Posted by David Day | Report as abusive

I wanted to watch Glee tonight. I was a little disappointed at first, but was willing to watch it to the end, until the “Tweeting” started. What a distracting annoyance!! I turned the channel about 20 minutes into the show.

Posted by Jim C | Report as abusive

Fox just lost me on Glee. Heard good things but trying to watch this with all the garbage on bottom of screen is past irritating. Bye, Glee. Bye, Fox.

Posted by TRI | Report as abusive

i ‘ve been trying to watch the show — missed the pilot. hate hate hate the tweets. they’re too big can’t even look at the screen. Too bad. i’m chaning the channel. I wanted to see thiis pilot, but it’s unwatchable. sorry. nice idea if it was less intrusive, or done only briefly.

Posted by nomadder | Report as abusive

The tweets are so incredibly annoying; it’s hard to watch.

Posted by Lynda | Report as abusive

I hate the whole “tweet-peat”. It’s annoying and distracting. Hope it won’t happen continually.

Posted by Laurie | Report as abusive

It is very annoying to watch the show with all the Twitter comments.

Posted by p. mcghee | Report as abusive

Please stop the twittering. Its distracting the viewer from the show. If this continues, I would most certainly expect ratings to plummet.

This is the first time I’ve seen Glee, it seems really great-the perfect antidote for High School Musical! However, this tweeting on the screen is actually making it a less than stellar experience. I hope this is a one shot deal. BTW the transitional Acapella music is brilliant.

Posted by FelixFaust | Report as abusive

the tweet thing is ok… but very annoying to watch on the screen, i am new to glee and would rather watch the rerun then peoples message about nothing pertaning to the show other then, man when i was in high school.. blah blah blah… keep it to the website for tweets kthx

Will

Posted by Will | Report as abusive

irritating and annoying–aimed at the attention deficit generation

Posted by bill sandwick | Report as abusive

STOP twittering on the show.

Posted by Randy | Report as abusive

I hope this tweet crap doesn’t continue. It sucks and ruins the show. If it continues. The show WILL FAIL !
You people are numbnuts.

Posted by Jay Sexton | Report as abusive

Please stop twittering. It is really annoying and if you want new people to be attracted to the show you shouldn’t do something that annoys them and makes them want to turn the show off!

Posted by Cinnamin | Report as abusive

This is by far the most ridiculous idea ever. I don’t want to watch the two lamest cast members carry on a conversation that has nothing to with the show for an hour. Which is exactly what is happening. Way to go! You’ve completely turned me off of the show entirely.

Posted by anon | Report as abusive

This show was really funny

Well I never saw the original airing of this show, however I really hope this twitter thing is not going to be a regular thing. It is incredibly annoying and distracting and it is making it hard for me to continue to watch. I was really looking forward to this show. Premise is good, previews funny and the entire idea of the show appeals to me, being a music/arts ed teacher, but the twitter thing is turning me off.
p.s. Journey suck

Posted by Susan | Report as abusive

It’s bad enough stations put their logo on the bottom right or left of the screen during programs, now tweets? I missed Glee Wednesday and saw it was on tonight, and then these tweets show up. How can you watch a program when you have these tweets to read or obscure half the picture? If thats what it’s going to be, then I probably will not watch Glee. I hope no other program starts doing this. Those news broadcasts that run 2 or 3 crawls at once are annoying also. Why even have video when the top half of that is chopped off? And just because jerky camera movements worked on NYPD Blue, doesn’t mean it will work for other shows that have been or are on the air but won’t be for long.

I do agree that the Twittering was indeed distracting! My husband and I watched the pilot this evening because of the amazing talent that the cast has! The singing was phenomenal! The plot line is so sweet too! I am so looking forward to the new season! I am also going to rent the first season when it is available on DVD since I missed it last year! I also just posted a facebook message about how great the show is….so the Twittering in my opinion really isn’t necessary :)

Posted by michelle | Report as abusive

Please don’t twitter during the broadcast. It’s very distracting. I have been waiting for the rebroadcast show for months. Fortunately, I watched the first rerun earlier this week. I would have been REALLY annoyed if I had to have the screen obstructed by chatter.

Posted by Carol Dowdall | Report as abusive

The tweeting was very distracting and took away from the show. I hope it doesn’t continue.

Posted by Paco | Report as abusive

I was excited about watching this show since I’d heard so many good things about the premier episode, which I’d missed. The twittering made it unwatchable. I shut it off, and I doubt I’ll watch the show again, since the twittering makes it clear it’s aimed at a younger clientele.

Posted by dmsp | Report as abusive

I stopped watching the pilot with the tweet. That is one of the most obnoxious distractions I have ever seen watching a show. Whoever came up with that idea should be fired. If that continues, I will NEVER watch this show.

Posted by Lorraine Cohen | Report as abusive

You’re batting zero with those stupid tweets. They cover too much of the program material and for those who missed the first run it’s hopelessly distracting to follow the show.

Really – Lose the tweets or lose viewers.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

Forgot to mention that I do like the show otherwise. Nice concept; nice sound.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I will not watch if these annoying tweets continue.

Posted by Denise | Report as abusive

The Tweet-Peat isn’t meant for first run viewers.

It’s for the fans who managed to find time to already watch the pilot. I realize that not everyone who may have wanted to catch the first run was able to, but this particular airing is a treat for those of us who have been fans since the sneek-peek last Spring. This show is already tapped into its fanbase, through Hulu broadcasts and ComiCon events. This Tweet-Peat is part of that.

Also, I personally think that everyone who’s currently denouncing Twitter will be eating their words over the next couple years. It’s kind of like saying, “Why would I need a phone that makes calls from anywhere?” or “Why would I e-mail someone if I can just write them a letter and drop it in the mailbox?”

Posted by Karyn | Report as abusive

Well, I had heard that Fox was going to try to “change” the twittering after last night’s “Fringe” Fiasco, but they didn’t change it enough to make it worth watching. I enjoy the show without the twittering and I must say if the twittering stays, I will just watch something else. I hope that Twitter is paying FOX enough money to offset the lose of other advertisers who paid to have their commercials run to a minimized audience. Without viewers it is hard to get exposure for their products.

Posted by Rich | Report as abusive

Knok off the annoying tweeting crap… it’s annoying!!! I will not watch this show if this continues. Why do you have to target the lowest common denominator.

Posted by dan | Report as abusive

I enjoy Fringe very much. Myself and 7 others tryed to watch it the other night What kind of ass would fill half the screen with words from Twitter????
This is one of the worse ideas in all the 57 years that I have watched TV.
If it ever happens again with ANY FOX Program I will not watch ANY PROGRAM that fills the screen with nonsence if I wanted to twitter I would use a computor NOT A TV
I shall inform the advertisers that I will not be useing ANY products that condone this Twitter practice last and only chance to scrap this rediculous project PS YOU ACTUALLY PAID SOMEONE TO COME UP WITH THIS IDEA FIRE THEM

Posted by douglas mann | Report as abusive

Really enjoying the show. Really not enjoying the Tweets…Please STOP…it is very annoying. I am watching to be entertained and don’t want to read stupid stuff about costumes and if things “suck”, please log off and go watch that monster truck show! Stop talking about porta potties, honestly!! The tags are in the actors chin and nose if they look down, it’s downright annoying.

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Tweets. Hugely annoying. Leave the tweets to my smartphone or online.

Posted by Jimmy Jessex | Report as abusive

I thought the tweetering was fun for the first few minutes, but then it got distracting after awhile. I’ve watched the show about 20 times already so it wasn’t a big deal to me. Creative idea though. ;)

I CAN’T WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK! This is a terrific show. I wish I had a part in it!
The talent, music, writing and everything else about it is absolutely inspiring.
Thank you and I look forward to the new season of GLEE!!

Keep up the good work GLEE cast and crew!

Sincerely a loyal fan-
Karla Zamudio

Posted by Karla | Report as abusive

The first run did not record, so I watch the rerun. After the first five minutes I turned it off, the tweets were the annoying, distracting and unbearable. If this is going to be the way the show runs I will not watch it. I was really looking forward to this show, but now I am not sure. I am very disappointed.

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

Here is what I just wrote Fox …
I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was last Wednesday, after viewing the Glee pilot (part of it … I didn’t catch the whole show) … and, how enraged I am tonight, after waiting for two days to see the pilot in it’s entirety, and having to deal with the shit splayed across the bottom of the screen, throughout the entire program. Do you feel that added to the artistic impact?
On Wednesday I felt that Fox had lifted us out of the dreariness of reality TV, back to something really amazing. But, Friday leaves me … completely unable to fully express my disappointment. Do you really think that improved the presentation? Why did you just do it during the program? … why not during the ads, also?
If you do it again, I’ll stop watching the program. I won’t put up with that crap. And, I’ll write every single advertiser on the program.

Posted by John Smith | Report as abusive

CUT THE TWEETING, I WILL NOT, I REPEAT NOT NOT NOT WATCH IF THAT CRUD IS ON THE SCREEN. IT IS SO DISTRACTING AND IT TAKES UP ALMOST HALF THE SCREEN.

Posted by John Flesch | Report as abusive

I LIKE GLEE & FRINGE BUT WILL NO LONGER WATCH IF THEY CONTINUE TO HAVE THE STUPID TWITTER COMMENTS CAN’T ENJOY SHOW WITH ALL THE POP UPS. HAS THE SHOW GOTTEN SOO BAD YOU FEEL YOUR TEXTING IS MORE ENTERTAINING?
WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH MESSAGES TELLING US 10 TIMES OR MORE THE NEXT SHOW ON OR OF A SHOW COMMING 6 MONTHS DOWN THE ROAD ITS DISTRACTING AND I OBJECT TO YOUR THINKING I CAN NOT READ A TV LISTING IN THE PAPER OR ON MY CABLE LISTING.

Posted by frank runge | Report as abusive

In two pages of comments, only one defense of the “tweetpeat”. Artistically and intellectually these tweets added nothing, and were very distracting. This is consistent with the bulk of the Twitter traffic, who ever thought this was a good idea is either a twitter-pated fanboy, or had never looked at the incomprehensible babble found on this micro-blog. Lets hope that this is an experiment that doesn’t have to be repeated. If Fox or anyone else does lets hope they screen the tweets before inflicting them on the rest of the viewing audience, and make sure they have some relevance or significance.

Posted by DonChawanano | Report as abusive

It is a very big mistake to mix to completely different medias like this. The tweets ruin the whole TV experience. If it continues, I will just have to stop watching Fox altogether. I hope Fox executives are reading this and taking actions. Tweets do not belong on the TV screen.

Posted by Ally | Report as abusive

Cut the tweet…it’s full of sheet!

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Why is this show getting great reviews? Isnt it like HSM, just on free tv not cable Or is the the new version of fame?
I’ll give it a try .

Posted by lilkunta | Report as abusive

What’s a ‘tweet’. I’m sorry, I come from a time before internet sites and pointless text messaging when the TV people actually had to do something, not film some idiot sitting around in an expensive house that they didn’t work for. Tweet this!

Posted by Alex | Report as abusive