Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Can Ellen fill Paula’s shoes on “American Idol”?

September 10, 2009

“American Idol” producers moved swiftly to replace Paula Abdul with comedian and TV chat show host Ellen DeGeneres  as the new judge on the show which starts again in January.

ellen

But is Ellen the right fit for the show?

Fans are split and even media watchers were stunned by the move, which serves the dual function of closing the door permanently on Paula, and making the show talked about all over again after a summer of shock announcements.

For a TV show that’s primarily about finding America’s next instant pop star — and one which is ultimately chosen by the public — there’s been a lot of hoo-hah this year about the judging panel, whether its Kara DioGuardi’s return, Simon Cowell’s future, Ryan Seacrest’s lucrative new contract or Abdul’s ultimately failed contract manoevres.

So what do you think is ultimately the most important and/or entertaining part of “Idol” — the contestants, or the chemistry on the judging panel?

And how will Ellen fit in, and will her presence on the “Idol” panel make you more or less likely to watch next year when the show has finished tossing out all the thousands of hopeless singers and gets down to the Top 20?

Comments

I think Ellen is the perfect fit. She is intelligent, talented, beautiful and sweet. She is exactly what the show needs to boost ratings. I didn’t watch American Idol very often, but now I will watch it faithfully. I am really excited that she is going to be on the show.
Ginny

Big mistake in my point of view and also my wife’s point of view. We will no longer be interested in watching American Idol with Degeneres as a regular on American Idol.

So long American Idol…

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

NOT AT ALL!! She is going to ruin the show. She has no expertise in music. What is the reason behind making her a judge on a singing competition? This is purely for ratings. If they wanted a layman’s opinion they could have picked up any randon person off the street.

This show is going to go downhill fast. It has lost all it’s credibility.

Posted by Annie | Report as abusive

I think it’s fantastic. Ellen is such a down-to-earth person that she will easily be able to represent the opinion of the average viewer at home. Besides, did Paula ever do anything to contribute to the show?

Posted by Lori | Report as abusive

I couldn’t care less. . . . Never watched, and never will!

Ellen will be okay. Down to earth, no posturing. What you see is what you get. Like Paula, she’ll be sympathetic to losers, but unlike Paula, she’ll be candid with them about their talent or lack thereof.

Posted by Joanne | Report as abusive

I think Ellen is an ok sort of girl. She could do the show, but not like Paula. Paula is Paula and as far as I am concerned, NO ONE can take her place. Paula was given a slap in the face by the sponsors when they refused her the raise that would be compatible to Ryans when she had been with them so much longer. After all a person does have some pride. American Idol will suffer in ratings regardless of who goes in until you get Paula back. Your ratings are already dropping.
posted by nettie

Posted by Nettie Kraft | Report as abusive

Ellen i love ya, but stay with your talk show hon, Bring Paula back. I miss her. Paula was great, never knew what she was gonna say. That made the show. Paula miss you miss you miss you. Paula come back. I really don’t think that the show will be back after this season. RIP American Idol.

Posted by Mary | Report as abusive

P.S. I can not picture Ellen flirtting with Simon. That was also the best part of the show. Paula and Simon. Now don’t make the mistake of having Kara flirt with Simon…………Gag me with a spoon.

Posted by Mary | Report as abusive

I will not be watching American Idol anymore, as they have now pushed their homosexual agenda too far this time. Paula was lame enough (reading her lines, and doing that very poorly), and we endured the innane airing of unqualified auditioners. The name was bad to begin with, offending a large portion of the American population which is Christian. We overlooked the name for too long. We will not ignore the homosexual agenda. Forget it. Your show is done.

Posted by Trin | Report as abusive

The addition of Ellen to the show will guarantee that I will not watch it. Don’t care that Paula was let go.

Of all the millions of qualified experienced entertainers worthwhile judges in the U.S.A. why Degenerass. I use to enjoy the show, now I won’t bother to watch. If Simon made this choice, he’s lost a screw somewhere. Why not ask Judge Judy, she’s funnier.

Posted by Moi | Report as abusive