Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Bijou Phillips calls Mackenzie’s incest claim “devastating”

September 26, 2009

Singer and actress Bijou Phillips has weighed in on her half sister Mackenzie’s claim of a 10-year incestuous affair with their father, The Mamas & The Papas singer John Phillips, and while Bijou’s reaction shows that she has some doubts about her sister’s credibility, she has not dismissed the story either. John Phillips died in 2001, so for now it’s been left to his surviving family members to speak out about Mackenzie’s story.

“”When I was 13, Mackenzie told me that she had a consensual sexual relationship with our father,” Bijou Phillips, 29, said in a written statement sent to “The Oprah Show,” where Mackenzie spoke about her relationship with her father earlier this week.

Bijou said that the news was confusing, especially since Mackenzie shortly afterward recanted her story about sleeping with her dad, which she has described as occurring from when she was age 19 to about 29, and has since said that it was true after all.

Bijou added that her 49 year-old half-sister, who began using cocaine and heroin at an early age, has a history with their father which is “clouded with 30 years of drug abuse.”

“The life I had with my father was very different,” Bijou said. “He was ‘Mr. Mom.’ He was encouraging and loving. The man that raised me would never be capable of doing such things. And if he was, it was heartbreaking for me to think that my family would leave me alone with him. I understand Mackenzie’s need to come clean with a history that she feels will help others, but it’s devastating to have the world watch as we try and mend broken fences, especially when the man in question isn’t here to defend himself.”

Chynna Phillips, another half-sister of Mackenzie, said earlier this week that she believes the affair took place.  But John Phillips’ former wife, Genevieve Waite, who is also the mother of Bijou, has denied the allegation, saying that she believes he would never commit incest with a child of his. Michelle Phillips, another of John Phillips’ former wives, has also questioned Mackenzie’s story.

Amid the tumult that Mackenzie Phillips’ story has caused within her own family, it has also touched a chord with the public. Writing on Thursday on blog website The Huffington Post, health and wellness author Deborah King took issue with Mackenzie’s contention that the relationship was consensual.

“There was absolutely nothing consensual about a single piece of your life with your father, not from the moment he started to groom you as a young child to be his drug buddy and his lover. … The shame that you carry, the burden of feeling like you should never have let it happen, much less let it continue — that is your father’s mantle of shame you’re wearing,” King wrote.

What do Fan Fare readers think? Is Mackenzie Phillips telling the truth? And should she be going public about it?

Comments

Isn’t anyone else sick of all of these drama queens with famous mamas and daddies demanding constant attention? Mackensie Phillips has always been a drama queen; demanding, insistent, rude, self-centered, and totally all about herself. She bragged about being her daddy’s drug courier and then wanted sympathy for it. She bragged about being her father’s lover and now wants sympathy for it. Grow up, Mackensie. No one cares. Go play with your “sisters” Paris and Britney, and leave decent intelligent people with real lives, and actual brain function, alone. You and Paris and Britney are all Trailer Trash Barbies, and are too stupid to know that everyone is laughing at you in disgust. On to real news.

Posted by BoredWithDramaQueens | Report as abusive

I am so proud of you Mac! You carried this stuff around like concrete in a back pack. Coming from the 70′s myself, I understand what went on in your drug world. I hope you have the best life ever now!

Posted by Marissa Mears | Report as abusive

It sounds to me like she’s still stoned…

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ms Phillips’ story is true, considering her extreme use of drugs; she is no doubt seriously damaged by her experiences, and this is sad. However, I wonder why she had to make this public. Is she trying to get her acting career (which wasn’t much) back, or maybe trying to make excuses for her behavior? Is it worth it to hurt her family members, who may have had healthy relationships with their father, suffer? She cannot hang onto her past as an excuse for adult disapointments, especially after the number of trips she’s made to rehab. I hope her future will bring her happiness.

Posted by Laurel | Report as abusive

I’d say Mackenzie Phillips doesn’t know it off what she’s saying, but she was “shopped to swap” when you sift through her words. Worse yet, no one’s first sexual criminal offense is injecting their kid with narcotics so they can violate them. That’s like saying a working class person’s first bet is going to be $500 worth of risk. No way.I believe her.

Posted by Eric Vaughan | Report as abusive

Incest does happen and I think Mackenzie is doing a great thing by bringing this subject to our attention. It’s not something that’s easy to talk about or deal with.

I believe her. How can anyone doubt that humans in ordinary circumstances are capable of doing atrocious things, much less in the singular circumstances of John Phillips’ life? While so many judge Mackenzie Phillips as a drug-addled adolescent who wants attention, the truth is that she was inducted into a toxic way of life as a little kid, over which she did not have control. Why she wants to come clean–now and in a highly public way–is no one’s business but her own, and I would guess it was as a catharsis, and on some level, a plea for understanding and forgiveness. Too bad so many people still are as judgmental and unenlightened about the psychology of abuse and incest as they were 20 years ago.

Posted by lisa mu | Report as abusive

People in the “real world” have these issues also. They admirably choose to deal with them privately, with a qualified professional and caring family members.M P’s attempt to drag the rest of the world down with her is so very sad, yet consistant with her personality.

Posted by Charli B | Report as abusive

all we know of Ms phillips is what we read about or what we see on TV. did she really had an “affair” with her dad? something probably happened between the two, but what? we may never know the whole truth since Papa Phillips is not around to speak his peace. what a coincidence that she speaks out way after her fathers death where, like I said, cannot speak his peace pro or con. And if two ex-wifes say he could not do such a thing. either the ex-wifes are covering up for Papa Phillips or daughter Phillips has taken so much illegal drugs, that the drugs have affected her since of reality.

Posted by RON K | Report as abusive

in response to marissa mears comment. I am proud to say that I and alot of people of the 70′s or any other decade, were not “stoners” illegal drug users like you said you were or like M Phillips and her dad.

Posted by ron k | Report as abusive

Honestly, deep down, in the core of my soul…..I really dont care. Lets move on to news now…

Posted by kenny g | Report as abusive

I am of Mackenzie’s generation. I followed her path, a fan of hers for years when she was a young girl. I don’t believe these accusations either. Mackenzie is a troubled soul BUT it is about time she grew up.She had everything; talent, connections, intelligence. She chose to throw it away. Now she is blaming a man who is dead and who can not defend himself.Mackenzie, ENOUGH. Grow up.Get clean and resume the path you were on i nyour teens; that is, a path of work and promise. Stop blaming others.

Posted by Maggie | Report as abusive