Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Britney Spears celebrates threesomes in new single

By Dean Goodman
September 29, 2009

Mommy, what’s a threesome?

bspears_3_cov_retouchedIf Britney Spears still has any ‘tween fans left, their parents are about to face yet another uncomfortable question pertaining to the pop idol.

The former Disney Channel starlet has just released a new single, “3,” which may be more appropriate for the Playboy Mansion than the Mouse House.

“Three is a charm, Two is not the same, I don’t see the harm, So are you game?” she playfully asks at one point. You can listen to the song here.

The slick ditty should get the kids out on the dance floors, but there’s even something in there for old folkies, since Spears tosses in a head-scratching reference to “Peter, Paul and Mary.” The song was produced and co-written by Swedish hitmaker Max Martin (“… Baby One More Time”), so it’s possible the 27-year-old singer might consider them three random names.

Equally unwittingly, she now follows in the footsteps of Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell, whose ménage à trois with his girlfriend and a teenage heiress inspired the alternative rock band’s 1990 song “Three Days.”

“3″ comes from “Britney Spears: The Singles Collection,” which comes out on Nov. 24, almost five years after her last hits package. (She released just two albums in the interim.)

Comments

I honestly don’t see what the big issue is about three consenting adults getting together in that way. It’s not something I do all the time but from the time I was old enough to know what sex was until now I’ve done the threesome thing quite a few times. It’s something different and fun.

I was growing up when britney was at her peak…I am now 21…so these lyrics should not be considered ‘raunchy’ to her fan base. We are not tweens. And it is the parents faults for letting their children listen to the song. they need to get over it

Posted by Nick | Report as abusive

I had no idea she was still relevant and why this is considered news.

Posted by TJ | Report as abusive

@Nick: Don’t worry, the word we need here is not ‘raunchy’ it’s ‘hype.’

But scaring dumb parents and creating this ‘scandal’ she’ll sell loads of records…which would *not* be the case if the intellectual pygmies who run her ‘career’ abandoned such insults and relied on her ‘talent.’

Posted by Michael Austin | Report as abusive

A quick Google search for the slang of “Peter, Paul and Mary” reveals that it is the: dialectical slang for a sexual threesome. As one might have suspected.

Posted by cc7 | Report as abusive

I would kill to be in a threesome with Britney Spears.

Posted by Mufaso | Report as abusive

Everyone who’s grown up listening to her already knows what this mistress of lust is about. She sells what shes best at and that’s being sexy. Most of her fan base is over 18 or just about to be 18. I’ve liked her since “hit me baby one more time” released and if you don’t know what to expect from her by now then you never will. I’ll be 18 pretty soon and I still love lady spears xD
I hope she keeps the tunes coming haha

Posted by Anthony | Report as abusive

The song can be interpreted in many different scenarios. For the innocent you can state that 3 means about twister like the lyrics!!!! say:
“Merrier the more
Triple fun that way
Twister on the floor
What do you say?”
Which you could have stated on the article. Like MAYBE it’s about threesomes OOORRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it might just be about twister. You are like every other journalist. Publish what they want, and not equally distribute the right information because YOU want the article to be read in a specific way, instead of making it equal and give every piece of information.

Posted by Eri Suenaga | Report as abusive

Britney, i’ll be your Paul or Peter if you’ll be my Mary ;)

Posted by John | Report as abusive