Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Kanye West death hoax hits the Web

October 21, 2009

Kanye West is alive and well, despite an Internet hoax suggesting that the rap star died in a Los Angeles car crash on Tuesday.amber-rose-kanye-west

A fake story was circulated via e-mail and on social networking websites saying that West was killed in a collision that left a second person injured, a third arrested for  manslaughter and a fourth person detained by police.

None of it was true. The rap star’s girlfriend, Amber Rose, posted a message on Twitter denying the story. “This ‘RIP Kanye West’ topic is not funny and it’s NOT TRUE!” she wrote, according to news website MTV.com. Her Twitter post has since been taken down.

By Wednesday afternoon, the Kanye death hoax was replaced on Twitter by the following popular wisecrack, repeated by several posters, “Whoever started the RIP Kanye West hoax, Imma let you finish, but Balloon Boy had the best hoax of all time!”

West, of course, interrupted singer Taylor Swift’s victory speech last month the MTV Video Music Awards with the words, “Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyonce has one of the best videos of all time.”

West, who pulled out this month of a planned tour with singer Lady Gaga, isn’t the first celebrity to be the subject of a fake death report. But could it be the MTV incident that led the hoaxers to choose West as their target this time? If not,  why have the mystery hoaxers got it in for Kanye?

Comments

It’s because he is THE voice of a generation, also he is a gay fish.

Posted by lolwut | Report as abusive

You dawg, Kanye West’s fake death was cool and all, but i think him interrupting is the greatest meme of all time

Posted by anonymous | Report as abusive

That’s not funny, I don’t care who the person is or what they’re beliefs may be. They are still part of us. Some things which are said by people or done by people are brought asbout by so many factors. Truth is I like his music. I’m so very tired of everyone being so judgemental. If you lived in someone eleses shoes perhaps you might understand, there so many other factors to take into consideration, it’s unbelievable to a lot of us.

Posted by mark hanscom | Report as abusive

how can you say that kanye west is the voice is this generation? that is the most ridiculous statement ever made!

The only “voice” I can relate him to are voices in one’s head that drive a person to an institution.

Posted by Prink | Report as abusive

They weren’t really saying he is the voice of this generation. Kanye said that himself.

Posted by Sara | Report as abusive

Wait, so he’s NOT a gay fish?

Posted by Anon | Report as abusive

I’m just glad this is a hoax and not real! I’m not a massive fan of kanye but to hear ANYBODY has died is really sad news. We are all human.

Posted by Katie | Report as abusive

I’m so glad that this is a hoax! The music industry needs Kanye West! Without him we wouldn’t have so many great beats and songs to listen to! I personally believe that he is one of the best artists of this generation. People please let the MTV incident go he already apologized many times!! It’s a little weird how he is still getting so much backlash…whereas someone like Chris Brown did not receive nearly half as much! If you must stand up and speak out about someone at least make it someone who truly did something terrible!

Posted by Nikki | Report as abusive

Kanye West probably had nothing to do with it or maybe he did. He still acts like a prick, and I don’t think he understands that it is not funny.

I didnt know the “voice” of our generation was auto-tuned..

Posted by verse | Report as abusive

I Think Publicity stunt is more like it. He has such a huge ego he wants people to talk about him no matter what its about. He probaly started the rumor.

Posted by mross | Report as abusive

If only it were true – what an ego & a waste of space! “Voice of his generation”? NO WAY – he certainly doesn’t speak for me! Go away, you suck!

Posted by jim | Report as abusive

Kanye “Gay Fish” West probably was the one who started the whole thing to get more publicity….

Posted by V | Report as abusive

Damn.. for once you get good news and it’s FAKE.

I don’t listen to Kanye or care what he has to say but I do know that I’m sick of hearing his name. It like the JLo affect all over again.

Posted by magnetik | Report as abusive