Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Cher’s new son savors manhood, starts shaving

By Dean Goodman
October 29, 2009

Chaz Bono, the showbiz scion formerly known as Chastity Bono until he underwent a sex change, is enjoying his belated initiation into manhood. Especially the shaving.

chaz“I shave about once a week now,” Bono, 40 (pictured at left in his previous incarnation), told “Entertainment Tonight” in a two-part interview that will air Thursday and Friday (check local listings).

“It kind of started to come in just like peach fuzz. I always wanted to shave. It is a very natural process. For my birthday I got a lot of shaving stuff.”

Bono, the son of singer/actress Cher and late impresario/politician Sonny Bono, said he began his lifelong regimen of male hormones in March and had his breasts removed. He declined to discuss¬†anything “below the waist.”

“(I’m) still not anywhere near what I will look like but really for the first time I am feeling much more comfortable with how I look physically,” he said.

He also dodged a question about his mother’s reaction. Bono has previously said that Cher was initially uncomfortable when he came out to his parents as a lesbian aged 18.

“The most important thing about this for me is that my outsides are finally starting to match my insides,” he said. “I feel like I’m living in my body for the first time and it feels really good.”

Comments

Thank God Sonny is dead cause you know this would set bad with his old world Italian upbringing..no matter what was said publicly.

Posted by posttal | Report as abusive

I hope, er, he, has access to his mother’s plastic surgery team because he’ll need it!

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

I was just thinking how Chastity watched her mom for years change into herself and how this may influenced her/his decision to have a sex change. Having watched her grow up over the years, I certainly wish her/him well. I hope he chooses to live quietly and happily and that no harm will come to him. It is a very strange world we live in.

Posted by cindy lou | Report as abusive

Congratulations Chaz. EVERYONE deserves to be happy : )

Posted by meghan | Report as abusive

I wish Chaz all the happiness he can find! I am so sick of people criticizing the stars, or their relatives, regarding anything/everything they do or don’t do. 98% of the negative feedback or thoughts are just jealousy, rudeness, being raised in an ‘uncouth’ home environment. However, I would have to say that, besides being stupid idiots, they should also LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE! (Dream world, I know!) I don’t recall Chaz asking for your opinion. So keep it to yourself, if you are unable to find any decency in yourself!! Again, GOOD FOR YOU CHAZ! GO FORTH AND BE HAPPY! Ignore the jerks that are way, past stupidity to be able to understand.

Posted by suzanne | Report as abusive

This poor girl/boy has been a confused mess since he/she was born. I can remember reading about him/her years ago. Nothing is right about this person. It shows what unlimited money and self-indulgence can buy.

Wait until he/she gets older. What a mess.

Hey Jabip- Chaz is not confused, he is who he is. Leave the guy alone!
Everyone has the right to be happy and to be who they are. I hope you can respect that.
Congrats Chaz, I hope you are well

Posted by Amanda | Report as abusive

I think we need to ignore people like this, they are confused individuals that need to not be in the spotlight as they set a bad example for the rest of society. Those that think this person will be happy now, need to get a grip. Define happy in this day and age. It is unattainable and fleeting at best. Learn to live with who you are and what you got, then you might at least have some joy.

Posted by Dittosmom | Report as abusive

Well put Dittosmom!

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

I remember watching Sonny & Cher & at the end Sonny would have Chasity in his arms (precious). I KNOW that Chasity was the ‘apple’ of Sonny & Cher’s life.
One more thing, I am a born – again Christian, and God (Holy Spirit) DOESN’T make mistakes. I truly don’t believe Chasity/Chaz will ever be (truly) happy!

Posted by pamela | Report as abusive

I don’t understand how the existence of people like Chaz Bono means that God makes mistakes. He made all of us unique, and to some people, he gave them challenges– disabilities, or mental illness, or even not something debilitiating, but just unusual, like freckles or red hair. God is pretty creative– I mean, he made aphids, giraffes, and the duck-billed platypus. Making a transsexual isn’t too much of a stretch for him.

Good for Chaz Bono, I say. He’s putting a face and a name to transsexuals, showing the rest of the world that transsexual people are human and have the same kinds of love and life conflicts with people everywhere else.

Posted by Plain Jane | Report as abusive

I don’t get it…shaving in itself is a pain. When Chaz was (still is as far as I’m concerned…you can’t change DNA) woman, she didn’t have to shave her face. Now that she’s “a man” she/he shaves. Why? Men shave to have a smooth face. She already had that going for her. Now she wants to grow hair on her face so that she can shave it off. ????

A very confused person she is!

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

Can someone please tell me why this is news? Who cares what Chaz does or doesn’t do. I surely don’t.

Posted by marla | Report as abusive

hey born again,
you transformed yourself, why not allow Chaz to do the same without your ridicule?

Posted by tom | Report as abusive

Can people just respect other people; let them be what they want to be (within the law)?I have a difficult time tolerating “born-agains” with their pompous, arrogant, “we love them, but not the sin” attitude. Just mind your own business! Fine, if you believe God makes no mistakes, that’s YOUR opinion. Please don’t judge Chaz; he’s doing the best he can, and it is, by no means, harming you or society. It’s an opportunity to embrace all kinds of people and their differences. Wouldn’t Jesus embrace him? OF COURSE he would.

Posted by mezzo | Report as abusive

I think there should be an article written on why the hell anyone cares about this crap. I need to feed my children and have work. This stuff is just doo doo!

Posted by iTom | Report as abusive

SO happy for him…read up on transgender!!!

Posted by Debra | Report as abusive

Congrats on the shaving! I know it is a joy to be able to have the first signs of masculinity in your face. No more mistaken for “she” or “ma’am’d”.

Life is never easy for any transgender person. So many people are afraid and tend to get violent at the thought of someone changing their physical sex. That is why so many transgendered people are coming to Yanhee Hospital for their surgeries, because the USA just won’t cover that. Sad too. Everyone deserves to have a happy life.