Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Wild child Adam Lambert sheds his family friendly “Idol” glow

November 24, 2009

adam-lambert“American Idol” runner-up Adam Lambert built a broad base of support during his run on the show this year. After all, “Idol” got to be the top-rated program on U.S. television by appealing to moms, dads, teens, doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs and everyone in between.

So when he took the stage on Sunday night at the American Music Awards and simulated oral sex with a back-up dancer, kissed a male keybordist on the mouth and gestured to the audience with his middle finger, he was bound to lose some of that broad “Idol” audience. Lambert all but said as much when he told Rolling Stone magazine that if his performance “offends (people), then maybe I’m not for them.”

But was it right for Lambert to put on such a sexually charged performance at the AMAs on network television, shortly before 11 p.m. on the East and West Coast and before 10 p.m. Central Time, when some teens and younger viewers might still have been watching the show? Does Lambert bear a special responsibility to reign in his sexual provocation, since he presumably has many young fans from his “Idol” days?

ABC on Tuesday canceled Lambert’s scheduled appearance on its “Good Morning America” as a result of his performance at the AMAs, after it received more than 1,500 complaints about his stage antics, but the singer has other TV appearances lined up.

Of course, the fact that Lambert is openly gay plays a significant role in the controversy. Last week, Aaron Hicklin, the editor-in-chief of gay magazine “Out” posted an open letter to Lambert after the singer posed for a cover shot. In the letter, Hicklin said that Lambert’s record label and management insisted that the magazine “must avoid making (Lambert) look ‘too gay’” and that they insisted he only appear on the cover in a group shot, not by himself.

Hicklin also criticized Lambert’s appearance in the magazine Details, in which he was photographed cupping the breast of a statuesque, nude female model. Hicklin suggested it would have been more radical to pose with a guy.

Lambert responded to Hicklin’s criticism by telling Entertainment Weekly magazine that Hicklin “has his agenda and has his opinions, which I respect, but they’re not necessarily my opinions” and that the editor “really crossed a line” with his criticism.

lambertamaWas Lambert’s AMA performance a bid to reclaim some street cred by putting his sexuality front and center?  Lambert defended it by telling Rolling Stone “there’s a double standard” in the entertainment world. “Female performers have been doing this for years — pushing the envelope about sexuality — and the minute a man does it, everyone freaks out,” he told the magazine.

Either way, the “Idol” singer has put the lie to one early criticism of his performance style. When Lambert lost to Kris Allen in the “Idol” finale in May, New York Times critic Jon Caramanica wrote that Lambert, a former musical theater performer, showed himself to be just “an old-fashioned song-and-dance man” and that “if he was hiding something, it wasn’t his sexual preference, it was his conservatism.”

No one is saying that about Lambert now. But did he go too far?

Comments

I have been an Adam Lambert fan from the beginning. I’ve never watched the AMA’s before until Sunday. The only reason was to watch Adam Lambert. I didn’t know he was gay at first and it didn’t make any difference to me after finding out, I just loved him. I pre-ordered his CD and was excited I had. I wanted him to successed.I’m a grandmother and my friend of mine is a Great-grandmother, we spent many hours voting for Adam. All this being said, I want to say I was so hurt to see how he performed at the AMA’s. Adam can do what ever he wants with is private life, but please don’t show it to me and the young children watching. I’m so disappointed I’m going to send his CD back as soon as I receive it.I want to say more but can’t put it into words. So sad.

Posted by Joyce | Report as abusive

Television viewers watch every conceivable act on regular television programs from women cheating on their spouses to murder, rape, you name it, we’ve seen it! Then one of the greatest singers and performers in modern history gets overly excited during a show where we watched a seemingly mad woman crash through glass with her microphone and women with gowns baring all but the nipples, and everyone goes to town on Adam Lambert? He didn’t drop his pants, or do anything except go with the public and television producing environment that states to us all, deal with whatever we chose to throw at you-it’s just life!

Posted by M. Bulkley | Report as abusive

I think he did go a little too far. I absolutely love him as a performer and have no problem that he’s gay but I felt like the blatant sexual moves were too in my face. I don’t just feel this way because he’s a man. I wouldn’t appreciate a female performer doing the same stuff. I get that he’s gay and trying to make a statement that he’s comfortable who he is but some of this stuff should still be done only in private.

why do so may of you pull politics in to every thing he does what a rockers dos is shock and aw where are all the 60s people o thats right you forgot about what they did in the 60s 70s 80s and get over it and if you dont like adam the rest of us dont give a —- so leave his wonderful voice to us that do see ya o ya every one i know has bought all his music

Posted by linda | Report as abusive

My anticipation for Adam’s performance was a letdown. The whole thing was sloppy with disgusting innuendos. Adam is the best singer out there. I love his sexy and alluring dancing…but not the disgusting moves that were performed on the AMA’s. I hope this doesn’t send him down the drain. It would be a waste to see him fold.

Posted by Jean | Report as abusive

I am an Adam fan. My daughter and I drove 14 hours to see him, and only him, this summer on the Idol tour, so nobody can accuse me of not being a “true” Adam fan, but I also don’t put him on a pedestal. Yes, Adam is still learning and I hope he has learnt something from this fallout from the AMAs. What a shame it is that he had a golden opportunity to promote his career and his new cd and he chose to do it in this way. I could handle the male on male kiss, that didn’t bother me, but he totally crossed the line by grinding his lower body into the other dancers face. He has definitely lost some fans and respect and I’m sure Adam knew that would happen. In Adam’s defense, I will say though that he is right when saying there is a double standard for men and women. There wasn’t this backlash when Britney and Madonna kissed. It was seen by many as cute, refreshing. I saw Madonna do Vogue on television and it was one of the most provocative performances I’ve seen. Britney has made many sexual poses with her dancers, some much too raunchy for younger viewers, but yet her concerts are filled with little girls and their moms. I will still support Adam’s music and cut him some slack and hope he takes this as a wake up call. Maybe he needs different management.

Posted by Sassy | Report as abusive

Adam:I was a big fan of your performances on “Idol”. I was not a fan for your performance on the AMA program. Your being gay has nothing to do with my comment. Yes, female performers have been pushing the envelope sexually for years but there are many of us out here who do not approve of their performances either. Young, impressionable teens and young adults are watching. Why not give them something worthwhile??

Posted by Tina | Report as abusive

His performance was offensive and vulgar. To all of those who ask why we complainers did not react to all other offensive performances, what makes you think we didn’t? And, ABC would have gotten many more complaints but they make it difficult to file a complaint with them. I filed mine with the FCC. My problem isn’t with the kiss but the simulated sex act and the sexual violence on prime time television. I think neither are acceptable in prime time and that applies regardless of sexual preference. Clearly, this is one stupid dude who would risk a big career over a shock value choice. He was so caught up in it that he totally sacrificed the musicality of his performance.

Posted by Eli | Report as abusive

all this stuff about what he did, how he did it, is nonsense. the guy took a wonderful opportunity not afforded to many and totally screwed it up with TERRIBLE vocals & a really bad performance. it is AS SIMPLE AS THAT!

Posted by frank | Report as abusive

I understand that a musician must put on a show for the sake of the audience; however, the show should not take away from the music itself. This was a disgusting act that one does not expect from ABC or MTV.Lambert has a young audience that has parents who do not approve of this act regardless of his sexual orientation.

Posted by amanda | Report as abusive

I love Adam Lambert. His voice is incredibly good and I don’t give a rip if he is straight or gay. But I actually felt sorry for him as I watched his performance; I was embarrassed for him. Not because of any male/male stuff going on, but because his performace lacked class and artistic value. He seemed to be trying way too hard. The song itself wasn’t bad, but his great voice was lost in the performance. I wasn’t as offended by the crotch grabbing and rubbing or the kiss as by the lame looking somersaults–they were pathetic.

Posted by Lynn | Report as abusive

Bought the new cd and quite frankly i think it is a reflection of his performance on the AMA’s. It is ok, a mix of differnet styles. adam can sing but it gets annoying after awhile, a lil too broadwayee… listen to once, maybe twice and it will probably become a coaster.

Posted by carl | Report as abusive

get a life people, hey Adam’s fans, listen the radio interview today, it is youtube, and the interview with alexa chung, it is amazing. Love you Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by mary | Report as abusive

I can’t believe people are putting so much into this. Adam Lambert is a fake. He just is not a natural entertainer. Way to forced. He can sing but have to agree that it is better suited for a broadway show. I think he will last about as long as Clay Aiken. A little controversy will keep he going for awhile but soon he will fade away.

Posted by sally | Report as abusive

I love this country because of our freedoms, but my freedoms have been halted whenever I offend someone with my religious beliefs. People don’t want nativities set up in public, or other religious symbols.. And the Law says be politically correct.Well, what about those things that offend us who are offended by his public display of ________ on a national channel? No warning or Rating. He should be held accountable. Aren’t there laws against lewd behaviour???

Posted by ct | Report as abusive

When Adam thanked his fans after Idol, he said he was looking forward to journeying with us. Well, it seems he skipped the journey and took us straight to the destination! Had the vocals in his AMA performance been as amazing as he is capable of, he could have gotten away with just about anything on stage. He is attractive, bright, articulate, and rediculously talented. I’ve listened to just about everything he has out there, from Brigadoon to FYE, and will wait & see what comes next, but Adam, don’t be flicking off your fans.

Posted by TAP | Report as abusive

The whole AMA show was one big sex show! I was saddened and disgusted by the whole thing. I have no problem with sexy performers, I have no problem with gay performers. What I don’t understand is why the industry thinks they have to use dark, sleazy sex to sell music. Lambert was my favorite on Idol last year. It thought it was great the way he handled questiions about his sexuality. He never denied being gay but treated it as a non-issue. Last night he seemed to be saying “screw you” to us all.

Posted by lisa | Report as abusive

I became a fan of Adam Lambert through American Idol. I feel he is very talented,& has an amazing voice. I think he was one of the most exciting contestants in Idol History.I was looking forward to his performance on the AMAs and watched it to the end.I was disappointed. The song did nothing to showcase the amazing range of his voice.The sound was terrible, and all the activity was distracting. Adam Lambert does not need all the gimmicky activity to prove his talent. It would be such a shame if this performance cut his career short.

Posted by Donna | Report as abusive

No doubt about it – Adam bombed. Aside from the vulgarity of his AMA performance, did anyone notice that he gave the world the finger? Or maybe that was another technical glitch.What happened to his music, to his amazing voice? That’s what we wanted to hear. I’m afraid his celebrity has gone to his head. It was just a matter of time.

Posted by Dee Dee | Report as abusive

I didn’t think the performance was that bad, a touch inappropriate, but the AMA’s weren’t exactly created for entertainment of your 8 year old child.He was a little stiff in certain places and after his tumble (which wasn’t a lame excuse for a somersault) there was a time where his vocals were screwed, but other than that it was good. I loved the theatrical feel, but that’s just my taste.I’m most definitely a Glambert supporter.

Posted by zana. | Report as abusive

I saw Adam’s performance on the East Coast and found it offensive.I was never a fan of that shrill wail he insists on inserting into almost every song he sings.The reason he relies on devices like that annoying wail or shocking gay leather imagery is that he has deluded himself into thinking that it will fool his audience into seeing him as a talented singer and not the impostor he is.

Posted by Alan | Report as abusive

Got Adam’s CD album today. FANTASTIC, ONE-OF-A-KIND voice! I love all the songs on the CD, especially “Soaked” and “Broken Open”. Adam’s music moves me and brings me joy; no other artists have ever had this effect on me.Adam’s AMA performance wasn’t a good choice, but it doesn’t change the fact that he can sing – Adam is a phenomenal singer! Keep singing Adam! I just can’t wait for your concert and next album.

Posted by Danny | Report as abusive

I love Adam Lambert. His performance Sunday night was amazing. I have listened to his new CD all the way through and it is really good. I love the songs and I love his voice. Sunday night was Adam being Adam. He never tried to be something he is not. And I’m not a teen….I’m a 48 year old mother of two. Good job, Adam.

Posted by Adam fan | Report as abusive

Not his best performance. Not because of the style of the performance or the sexuality but the vocals/sound were off and the choreography/camerawork too. But this may not have been all Adam’s fault. Anyway, the important thing is, go buy the album. It’s brilliant and completely engaging. I love it.

Posted by shelby | Report as abusive

Jeff, you are so right! Freedom of expression? Who was protecting my freedom when all I wanted to do is watch musical performances on network tv (Walt Disney production no less…….God, I know he’s turning over in his grave)without being blindsided by some idiot simulating a blow job. And this is written by someone who traveled twice over the summer to see him in concert!And this message is especially for Adam…why do you think Britney and Madonna pull those antics on stage? Because they can’t carry a tune! They can’t sing! They have to be provocative, otherwise no one would pay attention. You on the other hand can sing. So shut up and sing.

Posted by Carrie | Report as abusive

P.S. Watch the new FYE video on his website.

Posted by TAP | Report as abusive

It was time for someone to push the envelope further and Adam had the guts to do it. What did people say about Elvis when he first came out with his happy hips? What did they way about Little Richard? I remember a phrase that Chuck Berry used in a song “we boogied in the kitchen, we boogied in the hall, I got some on my finger and I wiped it on the wall” – he wasn’t talking about peanut butter. Oh and people were shocked by Madonna but you got over it. So get over it.

Posted by Nona | Report as abusive

Lynn I agree 100%. Your comments are almost EXACTLY what I was feeling. Adam seemed to be trying WAY too hard and the vocals were lost. I was totally blown away the first time I heard FYE and I had downloaded it and played it MANY times before the show. It IS a sexy number and I was interested to see what he would do with it. He showed during the idol tour that he knows how to DANCE with sexy in the forefront, but the antics with the dancers is going to alienate so many people that I fear for his ultimately iconic career. This is going to take some time to get over I’m afraid. Yes, there are the female artists who get away with this, but they are ESTABLISHED, ICONIC artists already. Adam is only beginning….I just worry. I so WANT him to be that ICON we all voted for and have been following DAILY! I hope the appearances on the talk shows he has coming up with show the world that he CAN and WILL do other things. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the CD! What a VOICE!!

Posted by shadamholic | Report as abusive

I find it hard to believe anyone who seriously likes Adam’s music would decide based on this one performance to no longer support him or be his fan. How shallow can you be?! I mean seriously, you are kidding right? I don’t think you are really his fans. American Idol fanatics are just weird. They think they own these people and can control them like puppets because they voted for them. This young man has real talent and if you are going to let his wild performance offend you to the point of not buying his music, then I can see it was never really about the music for you. You were in love with an image of what you wanted him to be, not his actual talent. What a shame.

Posted by StopRightThere | Report as abusive

I was a big fan of Adam Lambert during Idol. I told all my friends that he is going to sell millions of albums when I saw him on American Music awards, I was so disappointed he sang terrible, he was not the Adam Lambert I saw on idol.

Posted by Angela Caccioppoli | Report as abusive

I think that there is a time and place for everything. But Adam took is act to far. I know that there were children there, so then when he had dress rehearsal why didn’t the producer put a stop to his act.or did they not know that he had this planned. He was disgusting!! I have gay friend and I have never seen them display any type of vulgar act in public. I have enjoyed watching the music award show for a long time, but if this type of entertainment is what we have to look forward to, I for one will not be watching. How could ABC allow this type of live act to be performed??

Posted by Sandra | Report as abusive

I intended to buy up everything this guy produced…not now. In a matter of mere minutes, he destroyed any interest I had in his music. Same goes for Gaga and every other freak show on the AMA’s who think they have to shock me in order to get my money. Take a cue from the Green Day performance and simply play good music and leave the circus act to the clowns.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

HUGE MISTAKE ADAM! I have been a rabid supporter of yours, have touted your talent to anyone/everyone, but remember who your audience consists of – people like me, a woman who is crazy about your mad vocals! Please take time to consider the business end of things (you’ve called yourself savvy, which, up until the AMA’s, you have been). S&M fetish performances will not cut it for the people who were willing to stand in the snow for tickets to see you. Your base has been slapped in the face, and I think you’re too surrounded by ‘yes men’ to understand what you once did – that you are an original but not out to promote an agenda. How about this – I won’t shove my sexuality in your face and you do the same for me and the legions of women who are sickened by your crassness. It will take a long time for me to get those images out of my head. Just sing!

YOU MUST READ THE RECENT LA TIMES ARTICLE. It is fabulous because it puts the AMA performance in perspective. It mentions Elvis (his hips were blocked), the Doors (who sang about drugs and weren’t invited back), Kurt Cobain, Mick Jagger and other rockers who pushed the envelope, shocked audiences and survived. Everyone should read that article, and they will see what is really happening here. Adam is just being a rocker, he is being himself. He really ISN’T a gay icon, he’s not trying to be. Did you see his professional music video version of For Your Entertainment on his my space music yet? IT’S AWESOME. It really shows what he was trying to do. It IS art. You have to watch it. I initially had a negative response FIRST when I saw the AMA performance, but after having read the LA Times article and seeing the real music video, my mind is changed. Adam, You ARE A GENIUS!!!!

Posted by Adam Addict | Report as abusive

I was never really into Adam…still couldn’t care all that much. But he is absolutely right about one thing: “Female performers have been doing this for years — pushing the envelope about sexuality — and the minute a man does it, everyone freaks out…”It is amazing that male sexuality is so wrong and dirty while female sexuality is so celebrated. Makes one wonder: who is the oppressed gender now?

Posted by LanceSmith | Report as abusive

I loved the performance Adam. *** Remember that if they don’t like you for who you are, then they don’t really like you. *** I’m excited that you took a stand early to be who you are – equal rights is not just about gay marriage, it is also about being proud of who you are. *** Here’s to diversity, to the prudes and to the freaks that exist in the gay and the straight world. *** Plus now you can have an even more amazing concert now that you’ve eliminated the “fans” who just wanted you to be their puppet! *** By the way, this comment is not to convince the haters (as if that would be possible); it’s to bring balance to the comments. *** And his performance fit the words of the song PERFECTLY. Did you expect a less convincing performance from someone with a theatrical background?

Posted by Leighton | Report as abusive

Adam seems to be forgetting who was responsible for getting him to the AMA’s…his fans…many of which are youngsters, impressionable teens, and grandmothers who spent hours voting for him. These are the same people that had to be subjected to his disrespectful and offensive performance. He is not Mick Jaggar or Elvis or Prince. He is instead a performer that got his start on American Idol thanks to those that voted him in every week because they thought he was a talented respectable entertainer. But now we learn Adam has no respect for the young and has the audacity to say he hoped people would “open their minds”. Are parents really supposed to tell their teenager that performance was appropriate? Don’t we all want our kids to be respectable, decent human beings that know right from wrong? And I don’t care that other entertainers are doing similar things; two wrongs don’t make a right. What the heck is this world coming to that so many people are supporting that performance? Taylor Swift isn’t doing so bad and she didn’t have to sell her soul to the devil to get to the top. What happened to morals, respect, and decency? Adam said “his” mom and dad thought the performance was funny. It’s hard to believe that any parent would condone that performance and find it “funny”. No wonder he’s doing what he’s doing and doesn’t think he owes an apology to his fans that were offended and spent hours voting for him!!!!

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

First, I’m all for a person expressing himself however he chooses without government censorship so long as said expression does not interfere with other rights enjoyed by everyone else.Unfortunately, the Federal Communications Center has appointed itself as a watchdog group intent on ensuring that sexual-oriented scenes are closely scrutinized (though not caring so much about gratuitous violence). I personally wish the FCC would leave it to the networks and pressure that the networks receive from the public to determine what is appropriate and what isn’t. Regardless, with complaints pouring in over Adam Labert’s performance I’m sure we’ll see another “Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake” knee-jerk reaction that will further restrict freedom of content on TV.Unfortunately, when performers on TV strive for shock over talent, they are often successful. It’s far easier to offend than it is to simply entertain. To me, Mr. Lambert’s performance was nothing short of a desperate attempt to distract from the song and his vocals. Maybe he was feeling pressure from the gay and lesbian folks and conducted himself accordingly. It was clear that he did not portray himself as an entertainer, nor as a singer. He was either a GAY entertainer or a GAY singer. Why was it not good enough for him to just be a very good singer? I doubt many people cared that he was gay before the AMAs. Now? I doubt the viewers came away with a more tolerant attitude about gays and lesbians. And that’s truly sad for everyone.

Posted by Mike H. | Report as abusive

Adam, you made a point, that I have been angry at for years. You watch Shikira humping her speakers, you watch Madonna kissing another female, you watch sexual moves on every dance show on tv, and all the men find that ok, but when another man does this everyone freaks out. It is a double standard, and it is wrong. I am so proud of you. Your voice is amazing and you are a really great guy. You will be a star bigger than anything you can imagine. Your voice is perfect! I would love to see you make music besides rock, like serious love songs, and songs where your range is used often. I can see you on Broadway too. You can be anything you want to be Adam. Don’t make this a sexual thing though Adam. Make this a music thing. You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. Keep yourself clean and classy. Thats the Adam I see. Take care, and God Bless you in all your future ventures. I am a huge fan. With love and Best Wishes, Vicki

Posted by Vicki Anderson | Report as abusive

Can everyone just get a grip, it’s not the end of the world. I’ve seen commercials and advertisments in magazines that are racier. So what. You don’t like the performance change channels.It’s amazing, everyone can tolerate all those crime shows and horror movies, and where is the outrage over that?I think maybe it was hitting a nerve that people are uncomfortable in admitting to. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Posted by John K | Report as abusive

I liked Adams performance and I think that people who decide to judge him on one performance in a bad way are just not loyal Adam fans. I love Adam and I liked his performance and I am not gay. Even with the bad reports I still think that he will sell many albums and have a good future!!

Posted by Kathy | Report as abusive

For all of you that say you are fans of Adams and supported him all the way thru AI but because you didn’t like his performance on the AMA show you are turning your back on him…I say you never were that big of a fan or you would still be that loyal fan you profess to be. I didn’t agree with every move he made but I am still a fan and always will be. I have watched the video of his performance over and over and over again and the more I watch it, the more I like it. He was performing. He is very artistic and as he said, somethings happened “in the moment”. He didn’t plan out everything. They just happened which means he was really into the song which I think was great.I agree with Adam when he talks about double standards. Women have gotten away with a lot of stuff over the years and we don’t beat them down for it. We have seen women kissing on tv and watched all the sexual moves in their dancing and there hasn’t been all this backlash. Adam being a guy and doing the same thing just doesn’t set well with you. We watch people supposedly making love on tv (hearing and watching them), watching 2 women embrace and kiss, 3 way sex … you name it and we have seen it, imagined it was going on because of the charaters we were watching made us believe it, so tell me what was really wrong with what Adam did?As I said before, anybody that was a fan of Adams before the AMA’s should still be a fan today. If you aren’t then you never really were a fan. You were just someone that liked his voice and can’t get past him being openly gay. I feel sorry for you. You are going to miss out on one fantastic ride that Adam is going to take his fans on!!!

People need to learn a little bit more tolerant and embrace differences.It is sad to see people are shutting this great talent off because they see one thing that doesn’t fit their cup of tea despite the many other good things he did before. In real life we don’t shut one friend or family off just because of one thing they did doesn’t fits your point of view. It is sad that this society become so shallow. Jesus Chris did not shut people off either.

Posted by just | Report as abusive

So if a woman did what he did, simulate oral sex, not kissing, potentially in front of my children it would be ok? NO! There is not doulbe standard, it’s not the kissing, it’s the simulated oral sex. And I’m sorry I shouldn’t have to tivo everything that’s on ABC tv to see if it’s appropriate or not before I let my kids watch it which is what he’s suggesting! There is a reasonable expectation that this kind of thing is not going to be broadcast. This was on the Disney Channel! It’s not about being gay, who cares, it’s about a total lack of class and respect for the entire audience. Do it on another channel at another time, go for it but not in that forum.

Posted by notok | Report as abusive

Adam Lambert is a phenomenal talent. I wanted him to win AI from the first show. I look forward to seeing all his appearance and performances and was really jazzed about his slot on the AMAs.I don’t get what all the fuss is about gay sexuality on TV. Having said all that, and I’m no prude (I’m a 55yr old straight female), I was a bit surprised by Adam’s performance at the AMA’s. Mostly because this sort of performance hasn’t been on mainstream television and I wasn’t expecting it, NOT because it was sexual.I do feel he was getting in our face with all the sexual references and could have made a better statement with fewer shock pieces. However, the brouhaha that’s been made of it is ridiculous.After I thought about it for a while, I thought the AMA’s had to know what was going on – he didn’t rehearse in a bubble, and if it was too much someone should have said so before the show. But Adam admits he improvised a bit and that’s where I think he got in trouble.I know Adam professes he’s an entertainer, not an activist, but the reality is that he has tremendous reach and the spotlight is on him – which gives him some responsibility.I love Adam and support him 100%. Everybody goofs now and then and we all learn from it. I’m looking forward to years and years of Adam.

Posted by Sue | Report as abusive

I was disappointed that the focus of Adam’s performance was on the spectacle instead of the music. I have been a fan of Adam’s great range, connection with his songs, and vocal talent since AI. If that has fallen by the side to promote shock and hidden agendas, then I’m no longer interested in what he has to offer. Too bad! I was really looking forward to his AMA performance and came away disappointed. Even Lady Gaga balances her shock with entertaining songs and vocals. Yes, I was looking forward to her performance as well, and came away entertained, not sad for someone that appears to have lost sight of his broad fanbase. It wasn’t the guy on guy thing either, but the in your face “I’m trying to prove something” delivery and attitude. I guess I’m just another one of those that were “duped” by his great performances on AI that may have been more heavily influenced by the AI staff than Adam’s ideas. I recall that Clay Aiken didn’t seem to need to prove anything post AI more than he could sing.

Posted by Doren M. | Report as abusive

I am old enough to remember when Elvis’ pelvis was the big scandal. And then the Beatles with their long hair and more recently Michel Jackson grabbing his crotch. Adam Lambert is the male star of the future. As long as “they” keep talking about him, he must be doing something interesting.

Posted by Susan London | Report as abusive

I was and am an Adam fan, but I was very disappointed in his AMA performance because it was vulgar and amatuerish. My cable company actually cut the feed, and I didn’t know what had happened until I read about it and watched it on YouTube the next day. IMO, Adam has learned from this about what is allowable on network television. Live shows are a different story. I once took my daughter to a Madonna concert (early in her career), and there were lots of young fans there. Madonna had “Eat me” on her underpants which was visible on the big screens. I will go to Adam live but would not take a kid under about 16 there.

Posted by Adam Phan From Philly | Report as abusive

If Adam wants to perform the controversial actions in a concert where fans pay for the adult content, that’s fine with me. The fans know what to expect and desire it. But public television open to all kinds of audiences expecting a tamer show, should be treated to a different level of standards by ALL performers, male and female. Performers can “push the envelope” all they wish as long as there’s a willing paying audience. There should not be a double standard, I agree. But performers should agree that the most important standard is the Standard of Decency which is set by society–not by the performers individually. The old saying that there’s a time and place for everything fits here perfectly.

Posted by Brenda Wellborn | Report as abusive

Adam Lambert was no more aggressive than the other performers on the AMAs. In fact if anyone was to have a problem with his act during that venue they would have to have a problem with all the other entertainers who did the same things Adam did – BEFORE he got up to do his. I had no (ZERO) problems with what any of the performers did because they were doing their thing and trying to entertain us. I have no idea why people are trying to make this into something it wasn’t/isn’t. How is what Adam did anymore aggressive than Janet Jackson grabbing the crotch of her male dancer, holding onto his crotch and then pushing his head down so she is controlling his backside? She simulated butt sex with a man! Are you now also going to tell me I shouldn’t get the idea of simulating butt penetration after that? Or when that same male dancer gets on his knees in front of Janet Jackson’s crotch I shouldn’t have gotten the simulated oral sex from that? Oh sure it is fine when someone female like Janet Jackson is sexually aggressive because she is 1. a female and 2. a better known pop star but allow a new comer to do the same thing and it becomes controversy? Did no one complain when Alicia Keys who symbolically wore a silver heart necklace that hung oh so just below her “ya ya” in the crotch? Her pelvic thrusts during her song had that little heart bouncing up and down against her crotch and she felt herself up while dancing. Then Keys’s male dancer again kneeled down before Alicia Keys crotch and and simulated frontal oral sex during her routine. But again, this was okay because when he was doing this and she was starring right at him consenting it, her 4 hot female dancers leaned against a brick wall and did pelvic thrusts at the camera. Oh and of course a naked Rhianna covered in baby oil pulsating her hips on a laser operating table wasn’t suppose to be sexual at all? She can be strapped down held by the bonds of medical equipment while she undergoes laser surgery and no one complains. Rhianna can simulated sadomasochistic conduct and it is okay for her but not Adam Lambert? She can then come out and do a number in bonded strapped cat suit that shows her bottoms of her breast and because it is a white colored outfit no one calls it an S&M outfit. She was wearing a crotch strap for crying out loud. No one had a problem with her sexy S&M outfit. Nor did anyone say anything about the naked latex bodysuit with a crotch strap that Lady Gaga was wearing huh? Yes again that is displaying simulated sadomasochistic conduct but it is okay because it is Gaga and not Adam Lambert. Even though Gaga was spreading her legs wide open for her camera shots while playing piano. No one had a problem with Shakira who wore a skirt so short the cameramen were shooting crotch shots of her and her dozen aggressive female dancers all doing pelvic thrusts for 3 plus minutes. Oh and wait let’s not exclude the presenters of the evening. Kate Hudson wore a dress that was so opened and revealing in the front that her breasts were almost showing and there was no back to that dress and there is no way she could have sat down as that skirt was so short it was almost showing her crotch. It is okay for our young daughters to see a woman dressed like that because she is a star. Eniemn aggressively rapped about RAPING 17 women while aggressively grabbing his crotch and what? – no complaints??! Whitney Houston sang about being on drugs and alcohol and what no complaints??? Sweet girl next door Carrie Underwood tried singing on stilts (those shoes were so tall if she fell off she’d break an ankle) and flirted with a crowd of male dancers while wearing a skirt so short she could barely walk. Our daughters want to dress like her! The tamest of all that night was Daughtry who sang off key and had to remove his ear piece to get the rest of his set right and the first Kelly Clarkson who just stood there and sang. Yeah, that’s entertainment. Or boring Country Crooner Keith Urban who sang off key andpitchy while standing still. Let’s not forget the aggressive singing and dance routine of Jennifer Lopez who’s symbolic climb onto of the male music industry led to her fall on her ass_et. Her loose wearing boxer shorts revealed way too much of her spread legged crotch when she fell. But again the only person to have received any complaints that night after all of that was Adam Lambert? Get real?! What a double standard. If you want to roast anyone you need to start at the begining of the AMAs and work to the end. If you want an apology from Adam Lambert you’d better start asking for an apology from Janet and work your way backwards. All of these artists need to stick together and back each’s others artist expression up. Like Adam Lambert said he had no problem with what any of the artist did they were exercising their artistic expression. It is part of the song when the rappers cuss and grab their crotches. If you don’t want to watch that or hear that then don’t invite them to sing. Adam Lambert is a chameleon and not every song he sings will have lyrics like that. I’m sure Whitney Houston isn’t going to sing about doing drugs all the time. You want to hold Adam Lambert accountable for the entire night of sexually charged music and say he was the only aggresser. Review all the performances of the night and see if your perception of the evening was any different than mine and I had zero problems with any of the artist.

Posted by Maggie Q | Report as abusive