Fan Fare

Entertainment behind the scenes

Taylor Swift snub bad business for country music awards show

By Dean Goodman
April 20, 2010

The Academy of Country Music Awards ended their three-year winning streak as Sunday’s telecast fell short of last year’s surprisingly strong haul. Maybe organizers should blame Taylor Swift.

tswiftThe three-hour CBS ceremony averaged 13.1 million viewers, down from a nine-year high of 14.8 million in 2009, but up from 11.7 million in 2008 and a record low of 9.3 million in 2007. While Carrie Underwood made history at the Las Vegas bash by becoming the first woman to win the coveted entertainer of the year prize twice, it was perhaps more notable that Swift did not win a thing. The country-crossover star, who was nominated five times, has taken home hardware from every big awards show in the past year. And in each case, her victory coincided with a ratings boost.

The Grammys hit a six-year high of 25.9 million viewers in January after Swift became the youngest artist to win the key album of the year award. Last November, the American Music Awards soared to a seven-year high of 14.2 million viewers when Swift won five awards including artist of the year. And at the Country Music Association Awards earlier that month, viewership rose to a four-year high of 17.2 million viewers after Swift’s clean sweep included entertainer of the year.

In September the MTV Video Music Awards achieved a five-year high of almost 9 million viewers, but Kanye West can probably claim a lot of the credit thanks to his on-stage rant after Swift won a statuette he said should have gone to Beyonce. At last year’s ACM Awards Kenny Chesney was the big winner. But Swift was honored for best new female vocalist and stole the show with a water-drenched performance.

Comments

Who came up with this logic? People knew before hand that Taylor was going to be snubbed so they didn’t watch? What kind of sense does that make.

MAYBE people were just so sick of the Taylor Swift show that they didn’t tune in expecting to see the same old thing the CMA’s churned out.

Saying Carrie made history and less people watched (even though it still won the night in ratings) than they would have if Taylor would have won just makes you sound uneducated and illogical. No one could possibly have known that ahead of time. And, if they’d have all been watching and voting then they might have changed the outcome. If they wanted Taylor to win EOY so bad why weren’t they watching and texting their votes?

If a “performance” schedule for a particular show is known ahead of time then you could say people tuned in to a specific time slot to watch that particular performance, but to claim and “unknown” recipient of an award being the reason that ratings are either up or down is just plain dumb.

Posted by mssoonermagic | Report as abusive

After Sunday’s ACM, I promised myself never to watch it again. It’s obvious that ACM has turned their back on Taylor, I can’t believe I wasted my time just to watch taylor deprived of her EOTY. Carrie was given EOTY, are you kidding me? There is nothing entertaining about her. Yes she has a great voice but she is not an entertainer. EOTY should be given to aristes who can atleast dance or play instrumentals not someone who can barely move round the stage…I don’t mind taylor not winning vocalist award because her voice is nothing compared to the other nominees. But her losing EOTY and Video of the year showed how bias the ACM is. Carrie or Taylor should have won Video of the year.

Posted by Oliv | Report as abusive

Posted by Oliv | Report as abusive

I agree with mssoonermagic, the logic makes no sense to me.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Right Oliv -

You say

“After Sunday’s ACM, I promised myself never to watch it again. It’s obvious that ACM has turned their back on Taylor, I can’t believe I wasted my time just to watch taylor deprived of her EOTY.”

This statement just proves my point. Everyone interested in watching “The Taylor Swift” show did tune in expecting her to win because their little diva MUST be the winner. More people tuned out because they weren’t interested in seeing “The Taylor Swift” show again.

At the CMA’s Carrie was “ignored” so maybe people tuned out of the ACM’s expecting the same thing the CMA’s did.

“Carrie was given EOTY, are you kidding me?”

This was partially fan voted so if Taylor’s fans couldn’t muster up the vote then there must not be as many as we first thought. Maybe she lost some figuring out that she’s a untalented one trick pony that just sings about boys (and out of key).

“There is nothing entertaining about her. Yes she has a great voice but she is not an entertainer. EOTY should be given to aristes who can atleast dance or play instrumentals not someone who can barely move round the stage…”

Carrie plays the piano and guitar and she fits the other criteria much better for EOY than Taylor. Carrie hosted the CMA’s (great TV host). Had her own Holiday special that won the ratings war. Was a much better actress in “How I Met Your Mother” than Swift was in “Valentine Day” (Swift was embarrasingly horrible just like her singing). And Carrie puts on an amazingly spectacular show which has gotten nothing but praises from the critics. AND SHE CAN SING TO BOOT.

“I don’t mind taylor not winning vocalist award because her voice is nothing compared to the other nominees. But her losing EOTY and Video of the year showed how bias the ACM is. Carrie or Taylor should have won Video of the year.”

Country music is a story telling genre at heart. “White Liar” is a great story telling video that gets all its points across with great subtlety.

All the right people won the right awards except “White Liar” should have won song of the year and “Need You Now” should have just won Single of the Year. “Need You Now” is not a great song, but it was a great single.

Posted by mssoonermagic | Report as abusive

mssoonermagic I totally agree with you… these people are foolish…..

Posted by chennel | Report as abusive

@mssoonermagic
Carrie pretends to play a piano/guiter just like how she pretends to be a songwriter yet she has not written any songs without a co-writer. The only thing she is great in is her amazing vocal.
If you didn’t know more people tune in to watch taylor perform and to hear who the EOTY is. There was a fluctuation in viewers. A confirmation of this will be the re-run of the ACM. I highly doubt the ratings will be more than the CMA re-run (that will confirm if people were tuned out because Carrie was ignored). Another prediction is that 2011 ACM will have a higher ratings because Taylor will debut her 3rd album by this year ending. You don’t need to accept it but it’s the truth.
Taylor also plays the piano (or pretends to play one), Sunday’s ACM proved who is an entertainer( Taylor) and who is a vocalist (Carrie). The internet has been buzzing about her brilliant perfomance and how she and Laura bell brought so much energy to it.

Posted by Oliv | Report as abusive

Taylor Swift lacks vocal talent, she cannot dance, and is very marginally attractive (at best). She’s not country and 12 months from now you’ll be saying “Taylor who?” She didn’t get EOTY because she simply doesn’t deserve it. The other trophies in her case were bought by daddy, plain and simple. I’ll be happy to see her slip into obscurity.

Posted by HawkShock | Report as abusive

There’s only so much commercial country anyone can take without going completely insane. Don’t believe me? Look at Goldman Sachs.

Posted by HBC | Report as abusive

I am disappointed that Taylor did not win any award but life goes on. This is an award show and Carrie Underwood won fair and square. I think people are not mature when they constantly pit one artiste against another. Both Carrie and Taylor are good in their own individual ways. So why is there a need for comparison? It is also strange that people say Taylor cannot sing. Just because she had a bad day at the Grammys, people swing nasty statements against her. It is fine to say Taylor does not have the best voice in the industry but another thing to say she cannot sing. I am only one of the several million people who will vote for Taylor and buy her albums. But if Taylor does not win, should I do a “Kanye West” on another artiste like “Carrie Underwood”. Let’s leave the award shows at a level playing field and accept the results. Don’t start shifting the goal post once the goal is scored.

Posted by wahlok | Report as abusive

I CAN believe that Taylor didn’t win, the girl CAN NOT SING!!! She can write very good, age appropriate music, BUT, the girl canNOT carry a TUNE!!!! She should NEVER sing in Public, stay in the studio, so they can hide the pitchey notes. When she sang with Fleetwood Mac, a few weeks back, I was embarrassed for her!!

Posted by sasenecal | Report as abusive

Carrie actually plays the guitar and piano is is quit good at both. All of her co-writing credits have produced better tunes than any of Swifts writes or co-writes so she’s learned well quickly. She was actually the force behind “Temporary Home”.

You can claim Carrie is just a voice all you want but the evidence doesn’t support your hypothesis.

Posted by mssoonermagic | Report as abusive