How to avoid a housing bubble, state regulation edition
Which nanny state:
- Banned its mortgage lenders from imposing prepayment penalties;
- Banned balloon repayments;
- Banned negative amortization mortgages;
- Banned loans based only on collateral value without regard to the borrower’s ability to repay the loan;
- Banned lenders from charging for services the borrower didn’t receive;
–and thereby avoided the worst effects of the housing bubble?
Mike at Rortybomb has the answer, which might surprise you.
More From Felix Salmon
Post Your Comment
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/