The more you know, the better it tastes

By Felix Salmon
July 6, 2010
Patrick LaForge was underwhelmed by his visit to McNulty's Tea & Coffee:

Patrick LaForge was underwhelmed by his visit to McNulty’s Tea & Coffee:

I inquired about the roaster and was told with a shrug that the shop used an unnamed roaster in Long Island City, Queens. Presumably the beans had been roasted recently.

Many coffee sellers now offer tasting notes as florid and adjective-rich as wine descriptions, but there was none of that at McNulty’s. The country of origin was listed and in some cases beans were described as organic or free trade. No details were offered about the specific growers. I didn’t realize how hooked I have become on knowing this information, even though I am not an expert who can make useful judgments based on it.

This is in some respects just a difference in marketing. A place like McNulty’s relies on the mystery and mystique of foreign lands. A roaster like Intelligentsia and shops Stumptown and Cafe Grumpy appeal to a different type of consumer.

This type of customer is obsessed — perhaps too much so — with authenticity. For these consumers, coffee is no longer an exotic product arriving by ship from third-world places with unusual names. Knowing the details of origin improves the taste.

LaForge has hit on something important here, which is clearly making its way into the world of coffee from the world of wine, where it has been going strong for decades. The more you know about your beverage, the better it tastes. That’s why so many wineries put so much effort into wine tours and that’s why you’re much more likely to enjoy your bottle of pinot noir if it has been preceded by a short explanation from the sommelier of who the winemaker is, where they’re from and what exactly they’re doing. There’s really no way of telling how or whether any particular part of the story affects the taste, but the simple telling of the story makes an enormous difference.

And so when you go to the Intelligentsia website, you’ll find them featuring specific coffees like the one from Edelweiss Finagro Estate, in Tanzania. You’ll learn what to look for when you taste it: “Toasted marshmallow and sandalwood greet you in the nose while saturated notes of pomelo and red wine appear immediately on the palate.” You don’t have to have any clue what a “saturated note of pomelo” is in order to get the message.

But that’s just the beginning of what Intelligentsia serves you with your pound of joe. They’ll also tell you who’s growing the coffee (Neel and Kavita Vohora), exactly where the farm is, what varietals are grown (Bourbon, Kent, SL-28, Tacri), what altitude they’re grown at (1700 – 1800 m) and what months they’re harvested (July – November). They’ll then add some color:

These are the only farms I’ve been to in the world where the biggest source of worry is not fungus or insect damage but invasion during the night by marauding herds of elephants, buffalo and even lions! They pass through from time to time looking for water and elephants will actually locate underground pipes and dig them up with their tusks. When they walk through the farm they trample everything in their path, leaving a big swath of razed land.

People like LaForge don’t want altitude information on their coffee because they prefer 1700m coffee to 1400m coffee. Instead, Intelligentsia is supplying something much more important and valuable: a unique narrative. It’s the same thing that’s going on in the wine world:

Unlike Bordeaux, where many of the best-known chateaus are run by corporations or wealthy absentee owners, Burgundy is full of estates, including many of the leading ones, that are essentially small businesses. Dealing with Bordeaux often requires working with middle management and marketing specialists. It’s much easier to visit a Burgundian estate and find the one person who has dirt on the boots, wine on the hands and a name on the bottle.

“For people of my generation, 30 to 50, I don’t think we’ve had the same magical Bordeaux moments, not in the same way we’ve connected to Burgundy or even the Rhone,” said Laura Maniec, who runs the wine programs for more than 15 restaurants in the B. R. Guest group.

She still buys a lot of Bordeaux for restaurants like Primehouse, a Manhattan steakhouse, and Blue Water Grill, a Manhattan seafood restaurant that hosts plenty of corporate parties where Bordeaux is nearly obligatory. “But there’s a passion and a spark and a personal connection that are missing,” she said.

What you get in Burgundy is a story and that personal connection, which is impossible to find in Bordeaux. And you’re increasingly finding the same thing in the new school of coffee roasters and importers. It’ll be interesting to see where it turns up next: tea? Truffles? Tofu?

Comments
13 comments so far

As a thought experiment, would these unique narratives be any less “important and valuable” if they were entirely fictional?

Posted by SimonMorris | Report as abusive

With regard to Simon’s astute observation, I would imagine a well crafted story would raise the price of the coffee.
I would also imagine that not 1 in a hundred can reliably distinguish between an African and South American coffee.

Posted by fresnodan | Report as abusive

Try chocolate. Valhrona has been selling “vintage” squares for years – all with origin & narrative etc…

Posted by fxtrader14 | Report as abusive

I confess that I’ve never understood our addiction to coffee (I’ve never tasted it; the smell is repugnant to me). But this sort of thing just seems to take that addiction to the height of absurdity.

Posted by Curmudgeon | Report as abusive

It already exists in tea, just not as much in the Western world.

Posted by MarshalN | Report as abusive

We can be convinced to eat crap-on-a-stick.

And also demand it and pay top dollar.

People do exactly that for coffee made from beans that have emerged from a “monkey cats” anus.

Posted by bryanX | Report as abusive

Thank you Bryan x, that laugh went well with my morning coffee… made from freshly ground beans of my own unique blend of premium mountain beans; the aroma alone would make a coffee aficionado salivate to taste!

And of course if you have not taken the quiz at http://coffeeuniverse.com/ then you have no business even commenting … Vile tea drinker!

(I drink it for the polyphenals and so drink it black and strong. The casein in dairy products bind to the polyphenols and render them less available. And I drink copious amounts of green tea for the same reason. I do love the aroma more then the taste.)

Isn’t the brain an incredible thing? I imagine that same part of the brain is responsible for the decision making that makes some stocks irresistable … the medial prefrontal cortex.

This post might have some links to your last post, whereby buying something is not necessarily a need or even want, but you choose it because you identify with it.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl e.cfm?id=neuromarketing-brain

Posted by hsvkitty | Report as abusive

Actually, there is also bug-excrement tea. It’s actually not that bad.

Posted by MarshalN | Report as abusive

And hsvkitty — polyphenols, IMO, is just another story to tell to sell you stuff. If you don’t like the taste/smell, you shouldn’t be drinking it.

Posted by MarshalN | Report as abusive

Funny thing, when you again mentioned the truism that ‘[t]he more you know about your beverage, the better it tastes,’ it finally clicked for me: that’s not how taste (for coffee, or wine, or music, or anything) works for me. The best possible experience for me is discovery: tasting something new and discovering it is delicious. My urge to learn about origins follows discovery. Details still matter. In the initial purchasing decision, they serve as proxies to improve my chances. Thereafter, they’re a pleasure in their own right: so this is how they do it. Yum.

To take this from the personal to the general, I’d suggest that there is indeed a discovery-seeking population adhering to any art form. They’re among the kids you see in the dingy rock clubs or puttering through wine shop discount racks asking about unfamiliar bottles. There are a whole lot more kids jumping up and down at big pop shows or ponying up for a bottle of Dom or Krug, and I want to take nothing away from those experiences. But I think maybe there’s room for a halfway backlash to this analysis of tastes.

Full disclosure: I like coffee. I would happily try cat-excreted beans given the opportunity, but then I enjoy things like bee vomit mixed into bacteria-infested milk (aka honey in yogurt). If something is good, it’s good.

Posted by wcw | Report as abusive

This inevitably makes me think of Danny intoning to Withnail: “this grass is the finest in the Western hemisphere. It’s grown at exactly 2,000 feet above sea level. I have it flown in from my man in Mexico. His name’s Juan”. Clearly also a man decades ahead of his time.

Posted by derino | Report as abusive

Haha. Well said wcw.

Posted by associatesmind | Report as abusive

I wonder if it turns up in tea, will this whole practice include knowing where the particular silver tea set we are drinking from is made etc. I feel that such things take the fun out of enjoying a drink because you will often find yourself unimpressed and unable to enjoy drinking it just because it is not of a particular origin. But if you actually opened your mind, you would find that sometimes what others think is not good might just be your cup of tea, no pun intended!
http://www.acsilver.co.uk/shop/pc/Four-P iece-Tea-Coffee-Sets-Services-c97.htm