Opinion

Felix Salmon

Counterparties

By Felix Salmon
December 16, 2010

Is Mary Meeker’s job these days really to sit on various tech boards? — Fortune

This payback story of an eBay scam & the “glim-dropper trick” will make you smile — Gizmodo

The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning’s detention — Salon

A list of multi-million-dollar fines at BofA and Wachovia, 2006-2010 — Charlotte Observer

Amazing block-by-block census map of NYC — NYT

Comments
9 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

That Brad Manning situation is shocking.
Shameless plug: https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/defa ult.aspx?wid=37428

Posted by TinyTim1 | Report as abusive

Last time I read Mr Greenwald, he was claiming that there are virtually no countries in the world with media more pliant than the US. Personally, I think anyone who makes that sort of comment should be given free DPRK citzenship and a job working in their far freer media….

TinyTim1 why is it shocking? The guy handed over a huge amount of classified data which shows he is security risk. Personally think Mr Assange is the one people who people should be more sympathetic about. Not sure how someone who may or may not have done a relatively trivial crime in Sweden becomes the subject of an Interpol hunt.

Posted by Danny_Black | Report as abusive

Should also point out that while DPRK may seem a cheap shot, one can take the example of the UK where for years no one dared tell Brown that he was an incompetent moron until the very end and it still had the Guardian that will believe anything the Labour Party says.

Posted by Danny_Black | Report as abusive

Danny, if you are OK with torturing someone accused of being a security risk, then I guess you shouldn’t be shocked.

I am not, and hence was shocked.

I am saddened that you believe it is OK to treat someone awaiting trial in this manner.
Frankly even if he is guilty (which looks very likely) then I would hope he were treated with some ounce of humanity.
Did anybody die because of what he did? Was anyone put at risk? Highly debatable.

I am also somewhat saddened that you believe rape is a trivial crime although I agree you don’t see many one-time alleged rapists hitting Interpol’s most wanted.

Posted by TinyTim1 | Report as abusive

My understanding of Assange’s alleged crime is that he didn’t use protection when he slept with the women despite saying he would, so whilst it was a sexual crime it wasn’t actually rape.

As for “torturing” Manning, it seems to me that this is yet another attempt by people on the left to render a human rights violation meaningless by applying it liberally to everything. As Orwell – I believe – one said “when everyone is guilty, no one is”.

Posted by Danny_Black | Report as abusive

Danny_Black, if you’re keeping people locked in your basement 23/7, then you are, in fact, guilty. Please let them go.

Posted by wcw | Report as abusive

Yeah wow, me locking someone in my basement and the US government locking up someone who released tens of thousands of classified documents to world, including US enemies is comparable, in fact it is exactly the same.

I believe Aldrich Amnes and Robert Haansen are also being similarly “tortured”.

Posted by Danny_Black | Report as abusive

Danny, the charge is for rape, molestation and unlawful coercion, involving two women.
The alleged rape happened when he had sex with a lady who was asleep.

Great write up from a well respected highly popular UK news website:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec  /07/julian-assange-refused-bail-over-ra pe-allegations

Posted by TinyTim1 | Report as abusive

ok got it wrong about Assange alleged offences…

Posted by Danny_Black | Report as abusive