Financial Regulatory Forum

Canada takes U.S. Steel to court over subsidiary cutbacks

By Reuters Staff
July 17, 2009

By Randall PalmerUSSTEEL/CANADA
OTTAWA, July 17 (Reuters) – The Canadian government took U.S. Steel Corp to court on Friday over production cutbacks at its Stelco subsidiary, Industry Minister Tony Clement announced.

Clement had sent U.S. Steel a “demand letter” on May 5 asking the company to comply with commitments it made when it took over Hamilton, Ontario-based Stelco. He said on Friday he was persuaded that U.S. Steel was still not complying with those undertakings.

An application has been been filed with the Federal Court of Canada asking the company to “order appropriate measures to remedy this situation,” Clement said.

In March, U.S. Steel temporarily shut down most of its operations at two big former Stelco plants in Hamilton and Nanticoke, Ontario, affecting some 1,500 jobs. It blamed adverse market conditions. A spokeswoman said on Friday that as a matter of policy the company would not comment on whether any of the facilities had been restarted.

Clement said he expected U.S. Steel to stick to the undertakings it had given at the time of its Stelco takeover on capital expenditures, research and development and production.

Post Your Comment

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
  •