The day ahead: Friday
* The Reuters/University of Michigan preliminary reading of consumer sentiment for September is due at 9:55 a.m. EDT.
* Campbell Soup reports earnings for the fourth quarter. Watch for signs about how the soup business is doing against lower-priced competitors.
* An auction is scheduled in Delaware bankruptcy court for Nortel Network’s enterprise business.
* Revised figures are expected to confirm that while Japan’s economy emerged from its worst recession since World War Two this past spring, recovery will be slow and far from assured as much of it depends on stimulus measures that will eventually expire.
* Die-hard fans of Walt Disney are in California for the company’s first-ever fan exposition and what Disney hopes will be a show of the durability of its brands in a tough time.