Welcome to our new home

December 4, 2009

David_Schlesinger04x

Reuters is a news power house – our 2,800 journalists in 190 different bureaus around the world are dedicated to being the indispensable news source. News has been in our blood for more than a century and a half, but we’ve always been restlessly innovating and always looking to the future.

For Reuters.com, the future is now.

This is our redesign, a year in the making. That’s a year of extensive discussions with people like you, our elite audience of business professionals, about what would make the site better and faster and easier to use for you as you drive business activity around the world.

We want this to be the world’s best website covering business and finance news, analysis, and opinion. Full stop.

We want you to be able to come for a quick glance at the top headlines, or a longer deep dive into a topic that’s important to you. We want you to scan the output of the 2,800 men and women or hone in on a favorite writer or photographer.

This site is for you; we want it to be your ticket to a wealth of news, information, and analysis presented in a cutting-edge format, including text, video, pictures, graphics, user interaction, and personalization features (try the new toolbar at the bottom of every page).

Remember, too, that this is the front door of Thomson Reuters. In addition to the news you see here, Thomson Reuters is also the world’s leader in providing news, information, services, and technology to healthcare, legal, business, and financial professionals. What that means is that our journalism is professional grade, giving our users the inside edge needed to make important decisions.

We’re proud of our new home, and hope you like it. And this is just the beginning. In the coming months, we will continue to roll out new features and functionality.

Please give us your feedback. Write to csmedia@thomsonreuters.com. And come back often. There’s a world of news we’ve got for you.

David Schlesinger
Editor-in-chief, Reuters

Comments

Dear Mr. Schlesinger,

Thank you for the invitation to Reuters.

Sadly I have observed Reuters reporting etc with great disapointment.

You seem to screen your reporting subjects, and carefully edit all to the goal of apparently advancing your particular agenda. A sad indictment of your journalistic integrity.

I’ll try Reuters again, however with trepidation.

Cordially,
W. Lovely

Posted by arderder | Report as abusive

I would welcome the addition of a Good political Cartoonist. For instance, a picture of OBama receiving an Oscar along with the Nobel Peace Prize.

Posted by Limey1 | Report as abusive

I don’t mind changes; it fact; I welcome them with open arms. However, the new interface is completely different from the old interface. Moreover, it is completely unorganized and take much more time to find the information I need.

Posted by hk7eleven | Report as abusive

Today’s story:
“…By Allyn Fisher-Ilan and Nidal al-Mughrabi
JERUSALEM/GAZA (Reuters) – Sworn enemies Israel and Hamas…”
Is, in essence, wrong in the very first line. Here is why. Although Hamas may be considered a “sworn” enemy of Israel, Israel, for its part, is not an enemy of Hamas or any other Arab group. Israel just wants to survive and not be attacked, with missles, with suicide bombers or especially attacked through the media with lies and distortions.
The latest strategy is to attack anything Israeli or Jewish in the media with lies and distortions. To the editors: please keep vigilant in your reporting, for accuracy and truth. Thank you.

Posted by BaruchAtta | Report as abusive

As a Reuters photographer, I was desperately looking forward to this redesign and hoping it would provide a fresh new platform for us to showcase our work to the world in a visually compelling and user-friendly way.

And while it’s easy to be critical and resistant to change, I have to say I’m genuinely disappointed in the look and feel of the new site.

Superficially, I don’t know why the logo is red, but no matter that we look like the Economist.

But at least the Economist.com uses a strong image as the starting point. For our main image high on the page to be an advert is a grim intro.

Amid the essential, but essentially dry business news, the first image users see should be one of our most visually compelling or topical from the past 12-24 hours, shown large, as you would see on a newspaper web site such as the NYT.

The hierarchy of information presented generally appears backwards, with the most interesting stuff at the bottom of the page — strange considering the “inverted pyramid” approach normally used in the presentation of news wire information.

Obviously, financial news takes priority, but we could balance this out with something else, even thumbnail pix and Oddly Enough items, to provide some lighter content and broader appeal.

It would also help to have categories such as World News, U.S. News, Sport, Arts & Entertainment, etc, to broaden the business heavy content.

The slide-show presentations are a disaster. Impossible to look at or browse in any appealing way. They scroll too fast and are surrounded by distracting ads.
There should certainly also be an option to view all featured images full-screen without all the surrounding junk.

This will have to change if anyone, including me, is to ever bother looking at our images online.

I applaud the effort and thought that has already gone into creating this new look, but hopefully the necessary improvements will be made. I’d like reuters.com to be one of the first sites to look at each day, but I’ll hold off on adding it to my bookmarks for now.

Brgds, -Finbarr

Posted by finbarroreilly | Report as abusive

I find the new format to be far less convenient than the old one. With the previous format, it was possible to get all the main headlines in all the different categories on one page, making it possible to quickly and easily peruse all the major news. Now, it’s a major hassle to work through all the different categories. I am hoping to find another news site which is as convenient as Reuters used to be, otherwise I’ll just swap to CNN.com.

Posted by Danceswithforks | Report as abusive

I still haven’t heard why I was timed out when trying to post a comment a week ago or so , because it wasn’t complementery to obama . When I said he was great it took in a second . Today I posted and was told ok , but it may take hours to post . Who do you think yo’re kidding ? You are way over the top with this President , with a capital P , only because he’s the only one I have . For about 2.9 years more .

Feds
I’ll now delete Reuters from my home page

Posted by Feds | Report as abusive

As a post script to my December 5th comments, I’m now using the RSS feed from Reuter’s UK (World) site, where they still use the ‘old’ web-design:

http://mf.feeds.reuters.com/reuters/UKWo rldNews

I find this more to my liking. And loading is swifter too!

Regards, CeeBee

Posted by CeeBee | Report as abusive

Now what? As a ‘pps’ to my February 2nd remarks, it seems the UK site has changed to the new web layout too. From my perspective, you don’t really get it, do you? The text is less compact (too much white space up/down/left/right), resulting in extra scrolling and, indeed, slower loading, etc. The same negative arguments as raised against the US version. Now what? Too bad, as I really like your news feed but NOT the new layout. I’m off…

Best, CeeBee

Posted by Cee-Bee | Report as abusive

Request #2844 Reuters Online Editorial Policy for Revisions to Already Published Articles
Rbarber17
Feb-28 14:02

Please respond to my comments made about the following Reuters article on 28-Feb-2011 at 11:00 am EST:

http://www.reuters.com/article/comments/ idUSTRE71Q1W920110227

How is it possible for the time stamps of bloggers to be earlier than the time and date of the article, unless of course the author goes in and “tweaks” it, not realizing that by doing so, he is changing the time stamp, too.

Regards,
barberrr

=============================

CommentsVictor Jeffrey Serote

Thomson ReutersDear Rbarber17,

Thank you for contacting Reuters.com support. Please be informed that your feedback has been escalated to the Editorial team for review.

Kind regards,

The Reuters.com Team

=============================

Mar-01 2011 10:45 Rbarber17

Quite a lengthy wait for your Editorial team’s response. When can I expect to hear back from them? Is it possible Reuters has no existing policies for the issues raised in my Blog comments?

=============================

Mar-04 2011 11:50 Rbarber17

What is the normal time to respond to a request?

=============================

Mar-07 2011 12:47 Victor Jeffrey Serote

Thomson ReutersDear Rbarber17,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. The Editorial team is currently reviewing the case. If indeed a bug, this will undergo a replication cycle so it will show correctly in the site.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you.

Regards,
The Reuters.com Team

=============================

Mar-07 2011 13:26 Rbarber17

28-Feb-2011 Request submitted
01-Mar-2011 Request “escalated to the Editorial team for review”
02-Mar-2011 No response received
03-Mar-2011 No response received
04-Mar-2011 No response received
05-Mar-2011 No response received
06-Mar-2011 No response received
07-Mar-2011 Editorial team “currently reviewing the case”
08-Mar-2011 No response received
09-Mar-2011 No response received
10-Mar-2011 No response received
11-Mar-2011 No response received

How long does it take to answer a simple question? Has Reuters got somehting to hide?

Posted by barberrr | Report as abusive

I kept trying to post a comment on a story. After hitting post comment, nothing shows up. And no error or confirmation given.

I would reload the page to see if my comment appeared. Nothing. I posted again. Nothing.

There needs to be some sort of confirmation for a post or people are going to post over and over hoping one “sticks” like I just did. I’m going to wait a half an hour and see if any of them appear.

Posted by Stonepuppy | Report as abusive