* Economic optimists should have a few reasons to cheer from durable goods and housing sales figures — neither of which is expected to be worse than the previous month.
* Also due is consumer confidence data for October, which is seen coming in flat at 53.1.
* Microsoft’s first quarter results are due, a day after its much-heralded launch of Windows 7.
* Boeing is expected to report a third-quarter loss tied to charges related to delays for its 787 Dreamliner and 747-8 freighter aircraft.
* In its first quarterly earnings report since announcing the Microsoft search deal, Yahoo will provide important updates about its core display advertising business.