* The market is looking at IBM for signs of improvement in corporate technology spending and comments on the company’s M&A strategy.
* Google’s earnings are expected to show that the worst of the advertising slump has passed, and that the search engine is seeing a recovery in demand from advertisers.
* Results are also expected from Citigroup, Harley-Davidson and Advanced Micro Devices.
* JPMorgan Chase’s investment bank division is expected to report another stellar quarter, after leading league tables for debt and equity underwriting.
* President Barack Obama will seek to rally support for his proposal to create a watchdog agency that would protect consumers from risky financial products.
* Companies on the S&P are expected to show an overall earnings decline of almost 25 percent, according to Thomson Reuters research. Reporting on Wednesday are Alcoa, Monsanto, Family Dollar Stores and Costco.