A clean home…

spic-140.jpgHygiene hypothesis’ may be tied to bowel disease

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Children who grow up in a spick-and-span home may have a higher risk of developing inflammatory bowel disease, a study suggests.

I believe it should be spelled S-P-I-C . Adding the K makes it a pejorative.

The product is named “Spic and Span”.

C.M.

We corrected: GBU Editor

I find your GBU section very entertaining. In a world where it’s always someone else’s fault, it’s refreshing that Reuters will own up to their mistakes. I find some of the reader’s comments most enlightening, especially the one’s charging political bias, because what the reader is actually doing is exposing their own…

Posted by Rusty Johnson | Report as abusive

Actually, according to Merriam-Webster, the preferred spelling is “spick-and-span.” A variant spelling is without the K.

When I looked up the word “spic,” the dictionary defines it as “Usually offensive: Spanish American.”

So, according to the dictionary, taking away the K makes it a pejorative. I don’t know if the GBU editor reads the comments or not, but I hope he/she does in order to defend himself/herself!

Posted by Whitecup | Report as abusive

In order to keep a Spic and span home germ and dirt free, all sorts of Chemical cleaners can be used that are on the market today. making it dangerous to keep a home all that clean. There are natural cleaners one can and shoul use for many things in housekeeping that do not real harm to the physical body such as Vinager for window cleaning with a bit of water, in a spray bottle.Vinegar as all should already know is made from apple juice. the last I knew apples and vinegar are both benificial to all of us. As a fruit and also to sour milk when no real sour milk can be found. OH for certain COOKING sour milk is required. That is why Vinegar is used to sour sweet pasturized boughten milk To let STORE BOUGHT MILK sour is not the best thing to do YET FRESH milk from the COW can be clabbered soured and then used. to make COTTAGE CHEESE and other CHEESES and YES even to use in BAKED GOODS. All FARMERS already know this. I would believe that many do.

Posted by Suzanne | Report as abusive

The word, Spik stood out like a sore thumb to anyone that knows the INDIGNATION of calling any one of another NATIONALITY a name. ESPECIALLY to people that know that to call anyone by a slang word is not the best thing to do for any of us. I do not believe I have to make the point by useing a very popular slang word for some.NATIONALITIES. I would really hope that the word was simply misspelled YET APPARENTLY it was not or there would not have been any editing needed to be done. UNLESS the CAUSE OF A CHEMICALLY CLEANED HOUSE was the PROBLEM useing another word .. AND YES I do have a tendancy to see the OTHER SIDE of things when it comes to the GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Reason for this second posting.. YET HAVING TO MAKE the distinction I may be jumping to the conclusion. NOT ANYTHING NEW REALLY.

Posted by Suzanne | Report as abusive

Would the also be at that same risks in their schools or daycare environments.

They have to be thoroughly cleaned up each day – especially private schools ( which parents hold to a higher standard )

Posted by AD NY | Report as abusive

No, no–you should NOT have corrected.

The English idiom is “spick and span”; a manufacturing company named its product using the *deliberate misspelling* (or alternate spelling–I wonder when the non-k spelling originated) of the idiom (for their product, Spic and Span).

This deliberate misspelling of an idiomatic turn of phrase is a common technique used to differentiate a branded product from the basic English term. Hence: Lite beer, etc.

Using the more common spelling is a way of not endorsing the product.

Please be sure to look things up before you correct them; the people who are trying to correct you could easily be wrong.

Posted by Talley Sue Hohlfeld | Report as abusive

And the complainer has also not realized–you were not talking about the PRODUCT; you were using the idiom that the product is named after.

Posted by Talley Sue Hohlfeld | Report as abusive