Good, Bad, and Ugly

Reader reaction to Reuters news

Sentence lays an egg

April 19, 2010

Garnett suspended after confrontation with Heat players

gbu garnett 240Garnett elbowed Quentin Richardson in the face during the fourth quarter of Game One, when the Heat guard approached Boston forward Paul Pierce, who was laying injured on the court.

Your reporter and editor both get a grade of ‘F’ for grammar in the story about Kevin Garnett’s one-game suspension.

If Paul Pierce was “laying” on the court then as Sister Mary Ellen taught me in fifth grade you must be able to answer the question, “What was he laying? Bricks? Eggs? Flooring”.

If you can’t answer this question than you must use the INTRANSITIVE verb, “lying” to indicate a state of rest or repose.

It is incomprehensible to me how a reporter could WRITE this line, let alone that an EDITOR would subsequently let this sneak past. Isn’t Reuters an international news organization, not a high school newspaper?

Karl

Thanks for pointing this out, but if you’re using the word “incomprehensible” to describe a misused word, I wonder what you’re holding in reserve for more serious story errors.

BTW, You misspelled the words “question” and “intransitive” in your e-mail, but I corrected them for you: GBU Editor

Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett looks to the bench during the first half of Game 1 of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff series against the Miami Heat in Boston, Massachusetts, April 17, 2010. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Join the Good, Bad, Ugly Facebook Blog Network

Comments

Ha ha ha..Mr. B. strikes again! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Post Your Comment

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
  •