Who’s the biggest bully?

June 10, 2008

Ireland’s PMEach side accuses the other of trying to scare voters ahead of Ireland’s referendum on the EU treaty on Thursday.
“No” groups have campaigned on issues ranging from abortion and euthanasia to taxation and Ireland’s military neutrality. They also say new decision-making mechanisms mean small states will lose influence and get trampled by the EU’s heavyweights.

The government’s response is to accuse treaty opponents of scaremongering by campaigning on emotive and extraneous issues that will not be affected by the treaty.
In some cases neutral voices are inclined to agree, with the Catholic archbishop of Dublin and referendum commission weighing in to say there is nothing in the treaty that threatens Ireland’s strict abortion and euthanasia laws.
The government warns of “dire consequences” for Ireland’s economy and diplomatic clout if a nation that has gained so much from EU support and subsidies is ungrateful enough to reject the treaty.
The “No” camp accuses the government of bullying, blackmail and exaggeration. Indeed a number of economists say that while a “Yes” vote would be best for future prosperity, rejection of the treaty is unlikely to have any severe repercussions.
So who is the biggest bully in the playground? Or is it just an inevitable flaw in referendums that they become a lightning rod for irrelevant issues and for politicians who don’t trust us to be able to debate the question we’re being asked?

I am pro-Europe and pro EU and I will be voting No purely because the Yes campaign has been threatening and patronising. Just vote Yes, you don’t need to understand it, is the message I am getting. I feel I keep being told what won’t change, but clearly none of those things will change if we vote NO. However, the subtext is, if we have the cheek to do that, we might be slapped back next time we want a digout. It’s not a good enough reason for me. And while we’re on the subject, Votail Ta is about 50 kinds of terrible bastardised Irish so I’m not convinced my national integrity and cultural inheritance is in the best hands when I see that.

Posted by Mary Kate O Flanagan | Report as abusive

It’s funny, every time there is a chance that majority might decide against the plans of the bureaucrats in EU, threats start. Maybe i misunderstood the definition of democracy, but this is not a democracy.

Posted by Alex | Report as abusive

NO NO NO TO LISBON TREATY
EU THINKS WE ARE ALL DAFT
THOSE IN FAVOUR ARE ASSUREDLY DAFT !

Posted by IAN L | Report as abusive

I don’t think it’s a very good idea to risk the future of our country based on your feelings of being patronised or on the inability of the Government to put together a sentence in irish. There was nothing patronising in the literature that came through the door issued by the referendum commission. Surely we can read the facts and make our own decision. As far as I can see, the only threatening or patronising statements are coming from Sinn Fein telling us to vote No or “you’ll regret it”, or “it’ll cost you”. And don’t get me started on ‘The church of Libertas’ funded by American money who obviously have Irelands best interests at heart……

Posted by Emma Tinsley | Report as abusive

It’s a shame to see that after all of the struggles for independence the Irish are content to be second class citizens of the EU.

Posted by Rick Flynn | Report as abusive

“The treaty, designed to streamline how a fast-expanding European Union is run, will create a long-term president of the European Council of EU leaders and a stronger foreign policy chief. It would also develop a more democratic voting system and give a greater say to national and European parliaments.”

— it says on the packet. Nice, balanced, objective reportage then. Has anyone at Reuters actually read it? Because I see it as cementing the power and influence of the bureaucrats, suppressing dissent and expanding EU influence into all sorts of areas where it has no business.

As for democracy – the EU apparatchiks corrosive contempt for democracy could not be more evident than in the grubby way the ‘constitution’ was drafted in secret, democratically rejected, revived, and sent round the back door. Their attitude throughout has been that if the citizens disagree with the plans then it can only be because the citizenry is stupid, ignorant, uneducated … and thank goodness the agreement of the citizenry on their own future government isn’t actually needed.

Posted by Ashley Oliver | Report as abusive

I hope that the Irish will come to the rescue of the Majority of EU citizens that where denied the opportunity that the Irish are having now.I hope that the Irish will support a No vote to a blank check for the beurocrats in Brussels to do as they please and bypass the true representatives of National Goverments.All European eyes are on you Ireland, you might save the day once again.Stop these bullies in Brussels.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

The deceitful manner in which the rejected Constitution was re-named and re-introduced unchanged as the Treaty is all the evidence that any normal person would need of the dishonest nature of the EU and its supporters in national governments.

The EU is a nascent Socialist dictatorship which needs the Treaty to allow it to act as a sovereign state without the need to justify its actions to any electorate.

I hope the Irish throw it out.

Posted by Mike T | Report as abusive

Why should I worry what the Irish Government wants for my vote, when they consistently flout the European law, especially the vehicle registration tax, we are still paying this and they are being fined what not cancelling it. How hypocritical of them.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I am with Mary Kate O Flanagan. We are both pro EU and both voted No.
I did not like the Yes Campaign’s tactics. It’s strange to see the major parties all united for a YES vote, apart from Sinn Fein.

You’d think we were children in the classroom being told what to vote and how to vote. We can think for ourselves.

From the way they were going on, you’d think the Lisbon Treaty was the best thing since… anyway, why shopuld they be all gung ho for the treaty when they’ve admitted they’re not read the treaty in full, if at all. That’s not on.

“Read the small print” was always sound advice. They haven’t read it, and yet exhorting us to vote yes. Well, we’re not sheep.

The business of the rotating commissioner… the smaller countries will only be represented 10 out of every 15 years… No. I don’t agree with that.

the million signatures required for the presentation of a petition… no guarantee that anything will be done as a result of so many people coming together? No, I don’t agree with that.

I want a better deal than what’s currently being offered to us.

We’ll know how Ireland voted by tomorrow, but for now, I’ll just say I voted no because I thought of the best interests of Europe, not just Ireland.

Posted by A. Jones | Report as abusive

I am pro-EU but anti how our government treats us with regards to the EU. I was not old enough to vote during the last elections and am not in the country now nor plan to be for a while. I just wanted to say so long as the government continues to make referendums in a short period of time without proper explanation none deserve to be ratified. I was disgusted with the Nice Treaty. I have a family member who was a member of the Ministry when Fianna Fail brought that in and made us vote again 5 months later basically telling us we are 5 year olds who can’t make the right decision and I have lost all political respect for him.

Telling us we need to accept all the treaties so they will treat us nicely is ludicrous. Also I was brought up with Gaeilge as my first language, the governmental treatment of our language has been atrocious for a long time and needs to be overhauled in every way possible.

Posted by Diramuid | Report as abusive

I do not understand how people are saying that they are misinformed. Every house in Ireland recieved a booklet from the (entirely neutral!) Referendum Commission explaining what the treaty was about and what it would mean for Ireland. It gave links and methods of obtaining more information. There were people campaigning, willing to answer questions for both sides.

I didnt feel threatened or patronised by the Yes campaigning but the No campaign was ridiculous, many of the ‘facts’ they claim are complete misrepresentations of the truth. I had a serious look at both campaigns and compared it to the treaty document itself and found that this treaty IS a good thing for europe and does not affect us in many of the ways that are being claimed.

My advice to people who say that they have ‘no idea what the treaty is about’ is to go and have a look for yourself. The government shouldn’t have to spoonfeed you every little bit of knowledge!

Posted by Paul S | Report as abusive

I sincerely hope the Irish will vote no to this criminal constitution being forced on the people of the U. K. and Ireland by the rest of the thieving and unscrupulous member states. We have already been sold down the river by the unelected and unsavory prat gordon brown, so now our only hope is a rejection by the Irish. The vast majority of the British people does not want to be a part of a EU that serves only the people on the continent and strips us of our sovereignty while bleeding us financially to line the pockets of their farmers and euro MP’s.

Posted by Neville Alliman | Report as abusive

Well done Mary Kate!

I can’t comment on the Irish campaign on either side specifically because I haven’t seen or heard it, but the arrogance of the pro-Yes falange in Brussels is both breathtaking and astounding, and of course we’ve all heard of the patronising and insulting comments about an independent nation made by a senior French minister recently. These people really need to be taught a lesson they will never forget, and I have high hopes that the Irish people are the ones to do just that.

Posted by Matthew | Report as abusive

Typical of are goverment, us the poeple of IRELAND don,t even know what we are voting for, are goverment have put us in the same catagory as russia we have a comunist goverment, which like to dictate and scare monger and bully there way true,
god i wish the people of IRELAND would wake up, As only the rich of this country will be voting yes, it will benefit them,the greedy, but not the true people of IRELAND.It might not be a bad thing to take a step backwards, people were a lot nicer then, look what we have now a country full of wanabees and snobs, MY VOTE IS NO to this treaty

The last time we had a massive organisation with a non elected (by the people) president and a ruling party which made major decisions which had to be followed by other countries regardless o0f their choice it was called communism and the party was the politburo. Doesn’t that sound frighteningly familiar!

Posted by Dave Ball | Report as abusive

Vote “No”, or the people of the EU will just be immersed into excessive ruling over Europe. Sovereignty will disappear, and there will be no country but the EU. Don’t let control over the people become greater than already. Why is Ireland the only country with a referendum? It’s quite fishy. Vote “No”.

Posted by Marc | Report as abusive

They are bullying the people into believing that the EU Treaty is good for the economy. As long as people hear that something or someone is good for the economy, they will vote “yes” for it, even if it turns against them in the long run. Don’t let yourself be hypnotised by the words of a better economy. They are just trying to make us vote “Yes” for a future of greater control over the people. Vote “No”.

Posted by Rory | Report as abusive

I am in 100% agreement with Mary Kate.

I too am pro EU but will also be voting No. We keep hearing how good the treaty will be for Ireland but noone has ever mentioned how… They plan to issue the treaty in laymans English so we can all understand it after we vote…..eh hello? is it possible are government are trying to hide something? surely not!

But the decider for me was how the YES campaign was run. I do not appreciate being threatened with “dire consequences” and the likes.. and besides even if we vote no we will prob get a slap and told to go back and vote yes like the Nice treaty!

Posted by Jen Dublin | Report as abusive

I never thought I would see the day when Ireland could be England’s saviour, if the Irish vote “NO” then perhaps there may be a slim chance that we will be given our right to vote. Common Market, all for it, European Treaty NO NO NO. Time is running out and then there will be no return for us BRITISH.

Posted by G C Kirby | Report as abusive

Let’s not forget that this unelected EU ‘Government’ has not had its accounts signed off since it began. There will come a day when they are forced to account for all the ‘lost’ money, and when that happens you can be sure all member countries will not be wanting any part of THAT bill and bail out of the union anyway.

It smacks of hypocrisy to call Robert Mugabe’s regime corrupt when this goes on.

The Irish people have the chance to show the rest of Europe that honesty and integrity is still held in high regard by the public if not by politicians.

Posted by dave | Report as abusive

I agree with Mary Kate. Surprisingly the wishes of the French and Dutch electorate were ignored after they voted NO…and the powers that be, who think they know it all, decided to ignore them, and proceeded regardless. Also, judging from the comments made by BARROSSO AND KOUCHNER, there seemed to be an implied threat to the Irish people, if we had the cheek to vote NO.
Lads, we don`t like being bullied or threatened. The British tried that for centuries and look where that ended up. We are all for a FREE TRADE AREA, but draw the line at being governed by a bunch of faceless unelected bureaucrats from Europe. Most politicians are conceited, self opininated people and the ones that end up in Europe are usually washed up National politicians whose career has ended in their own country.
If the good people of Europe were given the opportunity to vote for this treaty, then I would accept the result. As it stands, the treaty is shrouded in technical unintelligible legal speke and is being rammed through without PROPER DEMOCRATIC CONSULTATION.
I voted NO because I do not want to be a province of the Europeon Empire. The last empire ended in tears around 410 ad.

I am a Englishmen and proud to be . My government promise a referendum but now will not let us have one because of a change of name ??

So hopes are with the Irish to vote against the treaty . and stop this headlong rush to give a unelected group of people total power over our lives
and one of these could be convicted fraudster Jacques barrot the job head of justice as reported in today’s paper .which would be laughable but for the fact he could affect our way of life . All of these people cost us a unbelievable amount of monies paid for out of our taxes .

And finally take a look at the endgame blueprint for global enslavement . It makes you think is this the way we are going ??

Posted by A sImons | Report as abusive

I am also Pro European but voted No. I and everyone I discussed this with before today were going to vote no but not because of any of the headline NO camp arguements. In fact you could say we voted no in spite of the NO camp.

The main concerns are.

1. QVM. The treaty does not seem to limit what areas QVM will be applied to.

2. Under the very deliberatelty loose wording of the Treaty and wording of the constitutional changes, it seems like a future Government could ratify future Treaty changes with having to go to the country.

3. Also with QVM and the new structure, there is not enough power given to the parliament, the council still gets to have its closed meetings and decide things without much accountablity, it that way the treaty is flawed.

4. Further to that, it was all well and good 20 years ago when Ireland was a net gainer of EU funds that the big countries who also happened to be the big donors at the time correctly got to decide where the money went. But now that we give a more than we take shouldn’t we also have more of a say on how our taxes are spent?

I would also have to strongly disagree with Paul S, the information was not easy to understand, in fact it can’t because the treaty is so badly worded that lots of areas are very much open to interpretation. It would take the European Court years to make all the rulings needed to make it clear what exactly is in this treaty.

I and many others had to reread the Referendum Commission booklet a number of times to get a clear idea of what they were trying to say. It is very poorly written and could have been presented a lot better.

Given the very flawed nature of the Treaty there was only so much they could do. However I also had the feeling that they were trying to say, never mind it’s all to complicated for you to understand, just vote yes.

While I commend Paul S and anyone else who made the effort to research prior to voting the idea was that in matters such as this the Referendum Commission should have presented clear and balanced information. People should not have to go out and find it. If people are feeling very confused it is only right that they should vote no.

It can be very dangerous to agree to something you don’t understand.

Posted by Rhuaidhri Tynan | Report as abusive

The Irish are lucky to get a vote, the British weren’t so lucky. They should use it wisely and say NO!

Posted by SM | Report as abusive

“How the Irish Saved Civilization” records how the people of the Emerald Isle save Europe from the darkness of the Middle Ages. One can only hope these fine people will again rescue Europe, this time from the darkness of the apparatchiks and other anti-democratic forces at work in Brussels. The EU was born as a trade union. One can hope that it is to this birthright it will return.

Posted by John v. Hollande | Report as abusive

BRAVO IRELANDE : TOP MARKS AND FULL POINTS TO YOU – WHEN WILL THE EUROPEAN UNION PUT ITS VOTES WHERE ITS DEMOCARTIC PRINCIPLES ARE AND FACE UP TO ITS ELECTORS? tHE ANSWER OF COURSE IS NEVER. JAMIAS DE LA VIE. POURQUOI? CELA VA SANS DIRE. FORGET THE COUNCIL AND THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT. THE PEOPLES OF EUROPE, GIVEN THE CHANCE TO VOTE, WOULD VOTE AGAINST AN EVER CLOSER UNION THAT IS A DILUTION OF INDIVIDUAL NATIONAL IDENTITIES – WHAT THE IRISH CALL A TURKEY!

Shame on you, “No” voters !!! If you have no clue on what the treaty is about, then please abstain on voting.

A. Simons, you complain that with the increased Qualified Majority voting and the new structure, there is not enough power given to the parliament. Well, with the current treaty it is even less the case !

The new structure affects the Foreign Security and Defense Policy mainly, which is a gov. business. Secondly, it has the advantage to remedy on the biggest EU weakness that is the 6 months rotating Presidency.

You Irish have benefited from the EU funds for so many years, you are so unfair. GIVE BACK THE MONEY NOW !

Posted by A real European | Report as abusive

well done the irish! I’ve read all the previous comments, with which i largely agree. we’ve been asked to support a constitution (under another name) which has not been explained to the people of an outfit that has few people’s backing (except high-paid politicans and bureaucrats who profit from it. i also share what is obviously a general antipathy towards the sneaky methods with which eu rulers have tried to impose a treaty which virtually nobody understands. is this what invididual countries like our own fought for centuries to achieve? a danish friend and former ambassador to the eu’s second home in strasbourg once said to me: “you wouldn’t believe the corruption that goes on here”. i told him i’d believe anything he told me, for he was an honest man, very much alarmed at the progress of an institution that hardly anyone knows anything about.
up the irish! my mother was from clonmel, tipperary and i know what she’d have thought of it all.

Posted by john chadwick | Report as abusive

Well done to the Irish in rejecting this Non- democratic Treaty. It is a pity that the UK government reneged on its promise to give us a referendum.
It was the same as the original rejected Treaty as before under a different name. We do not want more of the corruption and fraud of the existing EU.
ps I couldn\’t agree more with the comments of Mike Heavy

Posted by John Davey | Report as abusive

THANK YOU IRELAND!
In the future, all Europeans will regard your “NO!” vote as the turning point in the fascist advance!
The Irish may just have saved the world!

Posted by Grateful American | Report as abusive

Well done the Irish, as an English man i also wanted to vote no, but we have a government that takes no notice of its people,but can we still trust the governments not to push it through anyway.

Posted by Alan Griffiths | Report as abusive

Well the Irish have voted no. An example of exactly why they are correct is in the words of the Polish Prime Minister in his response to this. I’ll paraphrase, “how can we cheat the Irish out of their democratic right to decide?”. What he said was that they will find a way to ratify it anyway, but my version is closer to what he meant. So goes the thinking processes of our European leaders, how do we cheat, lie and bully the electorate to do as we want rather than as they want. Clearly the EU is no training ground for democracy.

Posted by Dave Beck | Report as abusive

From your brother over the sea, THANK YOU for rejecting this unnecessary treaty. Finally, the citizens spoke up and said “NO”. I cant even believe that the rest of Europe has chosen to be lead like dogs to their own destruction. Even the leader of Poland said “”Ireland will for sure find a way to ratify this treaty,” Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk told reporters.” – so he is saying 1. We are smarter than you. 2. We will make these changes (that determine how YOU can live) with out you. 3. If you reject this treaty, we will find a back-door way to make you agree.

This is democracy at its finest. Thank you again for rejecting this nonsense.

Posted by kevin | Report as abusive

Snip from Paul S 120608
“I had a serious look at both campaigns and compared it to the treaty document itself and found that this treaty IS a good thing for europe and does not affect us in many of the ways that are being claimed. ”

And a lot of people thought that the British anti-terrorist laws were a good thing too; that they would not be affected because, hey, they weren’t terrorists. Poole (Dorset) council then used the anti-terrorist legislation to spy on a family who wished to send their children to a local school. There are many other instances of such abuse coming to light every day. Let’s just agree that whatever is well meant can be abused with very little effort.

TL

Posted by Tony Lockyer | Report as abusive

The Irish referenda show a people who are confident, dynamic and successful. Contrast this with the UK where the government does not deliver its promises and you can see what the future holds for each country.

Posted by Jon Young | Report as abusive

A real european. Most of the people who voted no have no problem with us contributing to the european coffers, rejecting the Lisbon treaty will no impact on that, it will continue under the existing rules.

The No vote is not a No to Europe vote, rather a no to a very bad treaty vote.

Just because parts of this treaty are better than what exists already is no excuse to pass it. Problems with QVM and new structures go to the real issues many people have with this treaty. First off it could allow QVM to be applied to every area where EU compentance can be determined. That competence is very loosely defined in the treaty.

Secondly as I already stated, why should Ireland as a net contributor have a much smaller say over how our money is spent than Poland who is a net gainer but has a bigger population?

Posted by Rhuaidhri Tynan | Report as abusive

For all Europeans who have been deprived of referendum and whose elite classes have *raped*,

Posted by Toby | Report as abusive

I think that you Masonic World Govt. types need this wakeup on how the people feel about your thousand points of light junk!

Posted by john dinneny | Report as abusive

I spent almost 20 years living in Canada, having only returned to the UK three years ago. During my time there, the french speaking area Quebec, held about five referendums on the separation of Quebec from the rest of Canada. Each time with the same result…. a resounding NO. After each NO, the politicians of the Quebecois went deaf. After the fifth time, the people of Quebec became angered and demanded to know…. which part of NO did you not understand. It was never raised again.
My question is the same now…. the Lisbon treaty is now dead… which part of NO do the politicians not understand???

Posted by Lancelot Morris | Report as abusive

Its a remarkable paradox that it fell to the Irish to bail the rest of us (esp in the UK where the government has breached its electoral promise to hold a referendum) who have been denied the opportunity to vote on this further step towards a federal Europe. As net recipients of EU funds i.e. they get back substantially more than they contribute I can only applaud them for their approach which is either demonstrative of high principles or ignorance of the facts. Either way thanks!

Posted by ChrisW | Report as abusive

Brussels is just another excuse to push paper…these people do not actually produce anything except inflated egos..small is beautiful..for example when Tesco and Saisbury close we all starve..what happened to the guy that does real work for a living…not stuck in front of some computer..if local farmers were supplying local street markets everybody is a winner..less fuel, local employment, community atmosphere etc..we dont need your regulation..we can do it ourselves…and we certainly do not need your permission for anything…and we’re certainly not stupid…the high streets are lined with banks and estate agents….got it

Posted by keith adams | Report as abusive

I found it amazing that people charged the government with being patronising, it was up to every citizen to read the information about the treaty which was clear and well conveyed if only they bothered to actively enquire. Instead, through laziness(there is no other word) I found many people I know voting no simply because they didnt know anything about the Treaty and thought that all the main parties were not doing enough to elucidate the facts. Nothing could have been further from the truth, its up to the citizen to take the initiative and find out about what they are voting on if they want true democracy.

Excellent decision by the Irish. I do not support the EU or any other ‘UNION” type treaties. These types of agreements always take decision making abilities away from the people they claim to protect. I wish more countries would follow suit.

Posted by Jason | Report as abusive

How ironic. The only country to allow their people to have their say, said NO.
Why not let the rest have that opportunity and not have their politicians make the decision??

295 million people have been prevented from voting, Only Irelands constitution was strong enough to ensure a referendum was held and they too were asked to set aside a constitution that took seven hundred years to secure. Its often said that 26 nations have already said yes, but they have not , they simple were never asked because if they had been asked they would also have said no to what is in effect a move towards a federal Europe

Libertas quoted this in the no campaign

“”Public opinion will be led to adopt without knowing it, the proposals that we dare not present to them directly”

V G d’Estaing, La Mond,.June 2007

Posted by kevin | Report as abusive

I cheer Ireland’s decision. Large treaties and entangling alliances get countries into trouble. Look at my country and how big of a mess we are in with all of our international commitments. Big government = big problems.

Protect your sovereignty Ireland!

Posted by Matt from USA | Report as abusive

Well done the Irish, at least you were allowed to have a vote unlike our so called democracy in the UK.
I have never ever seen such a bunch of arrogant clowns in Government. I don’t have any respect whatsoever for this so called Labour Government who do exactly as they wish with no thought of what the people of the UK want!

Tony Blair, wherever you are, you and the rest of the clowns you left behind should be ashamed of yourselves. People (some merely teenagers) are dying in their hundreds fighting an illegal war which has no end in sight.

It’s no wonder that so many uk citizens are emigrating in droves every week, in order to start a new life. Those of you who can afford to leave, I wish you the very best of luck in your new country.

Posted by Jeff Davies | Report as abusive

Thank you Ireland for voting out this treaty which is the old proposed constitution in all but name. We in the UK were lied to by the Labour Government which promised a referendum and then broke their promise. No wonder Politics is a dirty name, this is the best thing to come out of Ireland since Guinness

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

With the inexorable decline of the US as the leading world power, the successor is going to be either the EU — if it gets its act together — or China — if the EU continues to dither.
As an American, I much prefer the prospect of a democratic, European-led world to that of a totalitarian Chinese-led one.

Posted by lslerner | Report as abusive

As an English person I have been more than disappointed not to have the right to vote on this very important issue and I now hope that a signal has been sent to the European Union that they cannot take for granted the support of the ordinary citizens of member states and must always give them the democratic right to express their view and preferences.

Posted by Mike Brocklehurst | Report as abusive

gordon brown please take note you would have been more respected if you had followed the irish method,good for them they must have backbone

Posted by ivan | Report as abusive

Well done the Irish people. But beware Brussels and the European politicians. They are quite capable of ignoring the vote with the connivance of governments like Britain, France and Germany.

Posted by John Hinch | Report as abusive

at least the Irish people got a vote And they are right The policians are only looking after themselves They don’t care about the people

Posted by iain | Report as abusive

“In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?”

-Saint Augustine

From the article:
Richard Bruton, deputy leader of Ireland’s main opposition Fine Gael party, which supported the treaty, said voters lashed out without necessarily understanding the issues at stake. “The treaty’s benefits were very cerebral and a hard sell,” Bruton said.

Mr. Bruton must be very proud for insinuating the working class of Ireland wouldn’t understand the treaty or it’s benefits. How arrogant and proud. If this was such a great deal for Ireland and the rest of Europe why did half of the countries wait on this vote before ratifying it themselves? Does it make you wonder what was in it for him? What ‘official’ post he would have taken had this passed?

Wake up Europe! What ever happened to treaties between countries? How is adding an additional layer of continental government above your own a solution? As we have learned (and are currently learning) here in the U.S., bigger government is not a good thing and most likely does not have your best interest in mind.

So slainte to you, voters of Ireland for standing up to the political social elite of the new world order! RETAIN YOUR SOVEREIGNTY because once you’ve given it up, you’ll be robbed of what you have left.

Posted by Scott Wolf | Report as abusive

Hurray for my brave, independent-minded Irish brothers. This is a vote against One-Worldism. We Americans are in the same struggle against the New World Order, Nafta, Cafta and open borders.

Posted by william | Report as abusive

Is Reuters in hock to the EU just like the BBC (which has over UKP 100 million on loan from the ECB)? If not why is Reuters not taking a more questioning line on the new Soviet – the EU. Everytime a vote is permitted, the EU is rejected. NO NO NO EU.

Posted by Barry Harding | Report as abusive

Let’s be clear about why well over 50% of the Irish electorate voted “No” to the Lisbon Treaty: not only did this “treaty” cede unprecedented power to the pan-European bureaucrats in Brussels, but it called for an unsustainable, unreachable consensus on so called EU “foreign policy”. And, of course, in matters dear to the hearts of the Irish, it curtailed their ability to exercise a veto in a number of important areas. Open borders and tariff-free trade zones are one thing, but the kind of “united States of the EU” envisioned by some Eurocrats is impracticable and wholly unworkable. Why would we try to destroy the diversity and rich cultural differences that exist between EU members in the name of some spurious, ill-conceived “urge to merge”?

Ireland was a poor country, but with help of EU became one of the richest. Now when EU needed their Yes to be more efficient in global world, they kick EU off. Ireland is unbelievablly self-fish.

Posted by Juraj Slovakia | Report as abusive

Thank God for good old-fashioned Irish common sense! What the so-called European “elite” in Brussels have secretively been building up is nothing less than a new, hi-tech version of the USSR based on a total rejection of Christian values and a deliberate crippling of democratic procedures. Before we know what’s happened we’ll be enslaved by an arrogant oligarchy which controls every facet of our lives — all in the name of the “fight against terrorism”, of course. Mark my words, the next step will be censorship of the internet, so that enemies of the Superstate won’t be able to compare notes.

Posted by Eileen Rose | Report as abusive

Absolutely brilliant! Well done the Irish!!

Posted by Matthew | Report as abusive

WELL DONE IRELAND.

AS A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN TO ALL THE ORIGINAL 15, AND WORKED IN ALL 15, Also haveing ben to many of the later Joiners, what Brussels wants is us to all be Europeans, Now thats an Insault to all of our National History good or bad, or indifferent.

by given the No Vote yet again, France has done it, Sweden Denmark and the UK have done it by not haveing the Euro, this must mean although we all want to be trade partners we all want to Remain Irish Danes Sweedish British French and so on.

Many I have spoken to over the Years never understood Why Britain Never signed up for the Euro, well it wasnt the Euro that was the reason why John Major Never signed the Mastrich Treaty, It was to do with the Social Charter attached to that Treaty, where by it meant Every Uk person had to carry on them an EU document ie a ID Card, and John Major would of never been able to sale that to the UK population at that time, had this treaty happened ofter 9/11 there may of been a different outcome, due to the Balless Priminister at the time of 9/11.

AGAIN WELL DONE IRELAND LETS HOPE THE PEOPLES VOTE IS EXCEPTED AND MAINTAINED

Posted by les | Report as abusive

What a novel idea!!! Ireland has actually exercised responsible democracy by giving her people the democratic right of a referendum on further European integration. May the autocratic house of cards that is the Europe Union come to nothing unless ALL Europe’s people get to exercise the democratic right of a referendum on their own futures.

Posted by Ian McIver | Report as abusive

The YES campaign might have been letargic and boring, but the issue is right. The best example of the need of reforms is the Eurovision song contest. 15 years ago all countries followed the code when voting (with small exceptions, but they always happen). Now, with so many countries (and different cultures) the old rules are not good any more. They have to be revised. The same is with the EU rules. Massive expansion means that it is not the same EU as before.
So the message is simple:
If you liked this years Eurovision song contest, and would like the EU ruled the same way – Vote NO.
If you prefer to safeguard old values – vote YES for changes.
(Well, it is a bit late now for that).

Posted by Pawel | Report as abusive

I am proud of Ireland and all the people who voted “No”, to giving up their freedom and sovereignty to the EU. – Of course you heard the German foreign minister react – suggesting they will “enforce” the treaty anyway – (as they have elsewhere in Europe). This only proves that it is time for the Irish people to stand firm and resist their will.

Posted by H McGurk | Report as abusive

I am Irish, and so relieved that this Treaty got a No vote. Anyone I spoke to beforehand about it were definite that they’d vote no. Given the chance, I think more countries in the EU would have done the same. Well done, countrymen, and thank you to those of you from other EU countries and the US who have endorsed our result.

Posted by Jen | Report as abusive

Well done Ireland – I think, however, to no avail.
A spokesman from brussels has already said they will carry on with the treaty regardless, and angela merkel, (former politician of east germany (DDR) and therefore aware of, and supporter of STASI brutality, torture and murder) has also said “we will carry on with the ratification process but also respect the Irish decision” WHAT??? Isn’t it 1 no and it’s finished? Don’t ALL countries have to agree? Or have I misunderstood something here?
I live in germany and pretty pro-eu. But when all the English press were saying that the eu constitution was dead after the French vote the german government were already saying we will bring it in another way! And they have managed it.
YOU ARROGANT ARROGANT BASTARDS!
Give the vote to all the countries, and let them have a say. Stop telling us whats good for us without explaining. Stop treating us like children “you don’t need to know, you wouldn’t understand”
We have a saying about the politicians here: same trough, different pigs.
I imagine the trough in brussels is HUGE

Thnak you to everyone in Ireland you have saved the majority of us from being further taxed and buried in Europe. It was plainly obvious that the treaty was simply the consititution which had been rejected before wrapped in a different cover.

Now will the politicians all over Europe take note… you were elected to do the bidding of the people. The people of Ireland have spoken… politicians do you job, do their bidding!

For too long now Poloticians have lost sight of the fact that they are CIVIL SERVANTS… not civil masters!

Gordon Brown.. go now… you are an untrustworthy backstabber of the British people. You know the British people would reject this treaty thats why you ran scared of offering us a referendum. At least the Irish politicians were honest enough to ask their people….

Posted by Barrie Winstanley | Report as abusive

John Dinnery, The Masonic movement has nothing in common with the undemocratic Euro Govt. we believe in the same freedoms as any democrat and totally deplore the actions od Brown and Co for breaking their pledge of a referendum

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

government bidding

Six Apart started a working group in February 2006 to improve the Trackback protocol with the goal to eventually have it approved as